|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Welcome Fight

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyMon 27 Nov 2017, 20:12

After placing the last of the jackolanterns around the caern Eiger headed inside and visited the Fianna. He found a spare bunk and left his carvings and knife upon it. He lay his bagpipes down upon the bed. He removed his shirt and folded it laying it on the bed. He then marched to find Rends without in his trousers, with his war drum, and with a strange spear strapped to his back. As he searched he played a soft yet fierce beat on his drum.

After a couple of minutes he located Rends the Gar playing with the Cubs and showing them how to fight. Eiger stayed aback watching until they were done and only made his approach after they were leaving.

“A’ight Gar listen. We ain’t got to like each other. That ain’t why I’m here. If I wanted to be liked I’d have stayed in Ireland with my gra. I’m here to hunt Black Spirals and from what I heard you and yours can help. In that regard we need at least some trust and respect between us. Quickest way the Get learn about each other from what my mother told me is they fight. I don’t expect you to spar with me over nothing though... so here is my proposal. We spar. We can use fetishes and gifts, but no rage can be used except for gifts, otherwise whoever strikes first is at a clear advantage and that ain’t as much fun. In return for this match I will tell you of my connection to Roaring Jack.”
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyMon 27 Nov 2017, 20:34

Rends gave Eiger a small nod of greeting, lowering his practice sword and listening to the challenge. He couldn't supress a chuckle at the offer, but at the mention of his mentor he turned to face the Fianna.

"Normally I'd ask someone to judge the fight ta make sure neither of us loses our head and does real damage. But since ya ask so nice-like I'll expect you to play nice and give the cubs a chance to learn a thing or two. You got a deal."

He turns back to his students as he hangs up his bowler hat and hangs his coat on a tree branch.

"Silas, Dmitri, stay a spell and watch. I want y'all to watch how I place my feet and how he places his. Maybe it'll help seein' what I been tellin' ya first hand."

He turns back to the visitor. His scarred face splits into a grin as he grows into Crinos and sizing up his opponent.

"First blood or submission?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyMon 27 Nov 2017, 20:52

“I thank you. I also apologize if I presumed too much by calling you Brother earlier.”

Eiger knelt down and greeted the Cubs as he thought for a moment before answering.

“Submission I should think.”

He shifts into Crinos as he twirls the spear around and holds it in a defensive position around him. His fur was an odd mix of red and white swirls. His one eye glowing red in the dead of night. His spear had a polished silver shaft adorned with several runes and carvings the likes of which Rends had never seen before. The spear tip though was most odd of all. It was made of a sort of stone that seemed to have light trapped inside it. There were all shades of blue, yellow, green and white. He then bared his teeth in a grin and nodded towards Rends.
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyMon 27 Nov 2017, 22:30

Rends popped his neck, taking in the spear and defensive stance before unfurling Ribcage in his left hand and taking up the Dream Knife in a forward grip in his right. The two circled one another slowly, leaving an open space between them. Slowly at first Rends swings Ribcage in circles at his side, producing a low whoop-whoop-whoop as it gains speed. Eiger eyes the club, unsure if it's meant to be thrown or for another purpose.

Then in a flash the two combatants both strike. Eiger sidestepping and thrusting with the silver hafted spear, and Rends swinging Ribcage in front of himself to clang against the spearhead and deflect the blow. Again the Fianna strikes, and again the strike is deflected by the swinging club. Rends springs to the side but Eiger matches the movement, keeping him out of striking distance and threatening him with the spear. There's a lull in the rhythm of spear strikes, and Rends springs forward to strike with the club. Eiger stands his ground, and the club glides around him to Rend's shock. He tries again, using the momentum of the swing and again the ball glances off, altering course inches away from the Fianna. Before he can give that more than a passing thought, Eiger steps to the side and strikes true.

With a whoop of parting air the spear comes crashing down on the ground. The silver haft skims down Rends' shin all the way to his foot, and he suppresses a snarl of pain at the sudden jolt. He takes the opportunity to close with his opponent, dropping both of his weapons and grabbing the spear with both hands. Again to his surprise Eiger doesn't drop it, instead holding tight and falling back. Rather than falling forwards Rends releases the spear with his right hand and plants a solid punch in the smaller Garou's gut. The air explodes out of Eiger's mouth, but he maintains the grip on the spear, trying desperately to wretch it away and kicking at Rends' legs. Using his larger frame, Rends bears down on the spear and slams the smaller man into the ground. Pausing for a moment he grabs on with both hands, then slams him down again, harder. Bones crack, and at last the Fianna slaps a hand on Rends' forearm.

"Aye, that's enough then!"

Rends immediately eases up the pressure, giving Eiger a moment to catch his breath before offering him a claw and a nod.

"I hate fightin' spear carriers."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 20:02

Eiger laughed while wincing in pain as he accepted Rends claw.

“Yeah we are right annoying.”

He dusted himself off as he helped rearrange his spine into proper position.

”You don’t happen have the middle name of Spine Breaker do ya?”

He chuckled at his own joke before grabbing the bottle of whiskey he had brought with him and handing it to Rends. He then sat down and began tapping in rhythm on his war drum.

“If you are ready I will tell you what I know of a Roaring Jack.”
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 21:24

Rends dismisses the cubs with a wave of the hand before turning back to Eiger.

"Spine Breaker? Nah, he's helpin' a few friends babysit fer me."

His eyes flit to the Northeast, then settle on the proffered bottle. A smile briefly splits his face, and he seems about to reach for it when his expression turns sour and he instead turns to grab his coat.

"Ya, I'm curious how some foreigner my age knew him. Far as I know he's been on this side of the ocean since before we was both born."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 21:51

Eiger shrugged and sat the bottle aside after it was shot down by the Ahroun. He cleared his throat and began beating the drum a little more vigorously, his words soon matching the rhythm. When the beat increased as did his pace, and vice versa.

“Well as you are aware there was a time not too long ago our tribes weren’t too fond of each other. The Get did not believe the Fianna could hold their own land after the White Howlers had fallen and turned. This was of course untrue but the High Jarl spread this rumor and tried to use it to his advantage to gain more land. Our land. One Get stood opposed to him and it was Roaring Jack.

Roaring Jack had been secretly meeting with the Fianna Elder Marcus Lith-Shaker rather than following the High Jarl’s orders. Roaring Jack soon marched up to the High Jarl and challenged him, winning. Changing the course of history for our two tribes forever.”

He paused looking at the ground.

“The night Roaring Jack challenged the High Jarl was the same night I underwent my baptism by fire. My mother was Camilla ShieldBreaker, Elder Philadox of the Frozen Tide Caern. My father was a Fianna kinfolk from the caern of Spring’s Embrace. These two caerns had heard the rumors of war and their solution of peace was me. After my Baptism by Fire I was meant to be presented to the High Jarl as proof the two tribes and coexist and create something harmonious, yet dangerous.

Of course with Roaring Jack having ousted the High Jarl he was the one to greet me, my mother, and the Righ Theurge from the Spring’s Embrace. I was only a few months old when I met him, but the visage of Roaring Jack isn’t something you forget. I was a toddler when he left for the new world. My mother and I had travelled to see him off. There were others there seeing him off of course, but I still like to pretend Roaring Jack was waving at me alone.”

He paused and slowly stopped beating his war drum.

“I’ve heard of his passing... it’s a shame, I had hoped to be able to meet him again. His son Robert... is he a good man like Jack? If so I should like to meet him, pay my respects as it were.”
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 22:04

Rends remained quiet as the story went on. He remembered the first time he'd heard this story as his eyes grew distant.

"I'd like to see the Fatherland some day. See the old holdings where Jack came from..."

At the mention of Robert his face goes unreadable and his eyes dart for a moment to the bottle, though he remains still.

"What have you heard about Jack's end?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 22:09

Eiger sighed.

“Nothing specific. Roaring Jack got challenged at a Get moot and he lost.”
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyTue 28 Nov 2017, 22:49

Rends barked out a humorless laugh.

"Well that ain't wrong, but it ain't quite right either. Tell ya what, you gave me a story, so I'll give you a story. I was close enough at the end to hear Jack's head hit the ground. Get comfortable, it's a bit of a story."

He grabs the bottle and takes a long pull then sits on a fallen log. After his audience of one gets settled he takes another pull then passes the bottle.

"Back a few years ago we was in a bit of a brush war with a bunch a' Garou wannabe injuns and their fallen Phoenix goddess Akna. My pack was on the front lines of that war. Fer months we fought. One of Jack's sons, Frost Blood, died a good death back near where it all started. It all came to a head, and my pack and a few others stayed in our land while Jack lead the Get out into enemy territory to root out Akna and bring an end to them all. But Akna weren't out there. And neither was the thousands of diseased half-Garou she had. They came to San Antone, and my pack ended up on the front lines again. We fought. We lost some good friends, but they died good. In the end the Prodigals destroyed Akna and scattered her bastard children, and the Get got there jest in time to miss all the action."

Rends eyes had grown distant, lost in memories but eyes glowing with pride.

"Then we took her old stronghold and made it a Caern. My pack were the appointed defenders for the Rite, and again we fought. It was a good night. We was almost overrun at the end, but Jack showed up with the Get and pulled our asses outta the fire. But that weren't enough for some. Some wanted to push out west further and sieze lands from the Uketena. They pushed hard fer it, and Jack held a Moot fer all the Get and our closest allies. Some called fer war. Others called fer rest to consolidate our strength here. We spoke our pieces and the Eldest made the decision to stay."

His voice drops down to a near whisper, old pain evident on his face. His hand drifts down to his belt to finger the handle of the old iron knife hanging there.

"It weren't until after I'd left fer the ceremonial hunt that Robert stole Reginnaglar, the silver blades made by my father. I'd asked a friend to cleanse them of the stink from Tames the Weaver's work. And it weren't until right after we got back that Robert made his challenge. Even so, Jack nearly had him. It weren't even a fight. But Jack paused fer jest a moment at the end, and that end cost him everything."

Without another word Rends takes the bottle back and takes a long slow plug.

"That's what kind of man Robert is. But he won the challenge, and won his father's title. He's the leader Gaia saw fit ta give us now."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyWed 29 Nov 2017, 18:16

Eiger sat in silence while Rends spoke and even for awhile afterwards.

“Yeah... can’t really argue with Gaia. It is not our job to understand her reason behind events, you just have to press forward serving as best you can. Since Gaia chose him to lead I should meet him. Offer what assistance I can, and give my family’s regards to him about Roaring Jack.”

He went silent again for a few moments.

“Traveling to the Fatherland would be good. As I am coming to realize the world is much bigger than my little island, and even bigger than Texas. New perspectives, inner growth, all that feel-good shit. I ain’t reached that point yet of course, but I’m gettin’ there.”
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyWed 29 Nov 2017, 22:07

Rends regards him for a moment, face unreadable. Then he gets up, setting hat atop his head.

"Right. Who knows what's down the road anyhow?"

He straightens the hat, finally satisfied with the feel of it.

"I don't know how Get are back in the Old World, but if'n ya ever get the chance to see the Breakwater or meet Robert maybe ease up on the pretty-boy dandy stuff. It's likely to get your ass kicked up between your ears over there.
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017, 16:14

Eiger shakes his head.

“Nah. Changin’ who I am to please others ain’t what I’m about. There three people I need to please; Gaia, my Gra, and myself. If they don’t like me so be it, I need them to like me.”

He sighs as he stretches and stands before strapping his spear upon his back.

“You have a good night Rends the Gar. Thanks again for the spar.”

He slowly begins to beat on the war drum as he walks off into the night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Welcome Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Welcome Fight   A Welcome Fight Empty

Back to top Go down

A Welcome Fight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: