|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Troubled Roots

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 21:50

Zas still in Lupus form, having exited the stone portal only a few moments ago turned to watch as it was toppled over by the Garou closest to it. He saw as the large stone rocks fell to the ground and the gateway to the unholy dimension that was once Akna's realm was sealed indefinitely. The moment brought about a sense of finality, closure, and accomplishment...yet it also stirred something within the recesses of the philadox's mind. Something he needed to do before much else happened.

Time seemed to stop as the Silent Striders' mental faculties fully began to return and along with them his memory of recent events. In this moment of clarity, Zas recalled his purpose and set out to locate the packs Ragabash. Winding his way through the gathered masses of injured but recovering Garou, the dark furred wolf searched out for his packmates scent. When at last he caught whiff of it he sought it out until he could visibly see kefka returning from a walk with Rends.

Zas reverted to homid form and casually approached the two prodigal members and nodded once to Sylvester and then turned to look at Mocks the Night as he said, "I feel there is something that needs to be discussed, don't you?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 22:02

Kefka's eyebrows narrow and his mouth scrunches.

"This about me runnin' me off on my own to find Akna and bind her with Walks with Spiders despite we as pack decided binding her would not be enough?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 22:07

Zas crosses his arms and leans against a nearby tree, and gazes at his friend with a cool stare, "Do you think that is what we should talk about?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 22:11

Kefka coughs nervously.

"Well no...we kind of covered all that"

He nods to Rends.

"This about what a good job I did leading us in there and not having us burned alive?"

He says with a hopeful smile that lasts just a few moments before hanging his head low.

"Or we can talk about how Not everybody knew I was already cursed when the battle started which could have jeopardized the whole mission..."

He looks up to meet Zas's eyes.

"Your choice."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 22:23

Zas sits up as he begins to speak to his packmate and says, "We could talk about your skills in guiding the pack to safety, and I could commend you on a job well done...but all of that seems pale in comparison to your dangerous decision to put the lives of those you led at risk."

Zas gives the tree a glance and then turns to the nearest low hanging branch and stares for a moment sizing it up, allowing Mocks to follow his gaze before turning back to face Kefka and saying in a smooth, even, difficult to read tone, "I wish to hear your justification for such a bold tactic."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 15:27

Kefka takes a moment to calm down and take control of the fear that began to appear over if Zas would punish him or not. He opens his eyes with smirk.

"What better justification is needed than the fact that it worked?"

He barked out a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 16:32

Zas considers his response for a moment as he angles his head to the side in thought before turning back and looking intently at his packmate with a straight face saying, "Am I to understand then, that you knowingly placed the lives of this entire pack at risk for no reason? That you intentionally withheld damning evidence that our enemies could have used against us, without a purpose?"

Zas sighs, "I find your reasoning of 'I did it because it worked' to be foolish nonsense. You can't rationalize or justify your actions, based on results you don't have yet."

Zas steps a step closer as he says, with a little more bite behind his words, "Try again."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 17:50

Kefka chuckles at a low volume to himself shaking his head.

"Do your worst. I have been cursed by Akna, and cursed again for destroying her. You think I care if you beat me or humiliate me?"

Kefka gets close to Zas matching his demeanor.

"I led you because no one else could. You think anyone else could have found Akna? I notice things you don't. That is how I found Akna and reached her unharmed. You needed my skills and that is more important than worrying something was going to happen to me. Destroying Akna was more important than me. There were bigger things going on than my curse, and you needed to stay focused. Rends and Zoe knew. They were keeping an eye on me physically and spiritually watching for anything to happen."

Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 18:33

Zas listens as Kefka explains himself. After He had finished speaking, Zas turned to face the tree and sat down facing in the opposite direction. He mulled over Kefka's reasons carefully and then after several moments had passed, he spun around to face the ragabash as he stands up and says, "The punishment must fit the deed. Only those who break the law need be punished. Causing you shame or pain would serve no purpose, as you've not broken any litany law that I can clearly see. Though I disagree with your decision to keep relevant information from the pack as a whole, I respect your reasons for doing it."
Zas then leans back letting his hands brace him against the tree as he adds bluntly, "I want you to know though that in your decision to do this, you have lost a piece of something.
If we are to work as a pack, we must all be able to rely on one another. You trying to resolve this issue more or less single handedly, says to me that you do not feel you can rely on us; that you do not trust us to be capable of dealing with whatever comes our way. Worse still-that you do not trust me. I do not know what has happened to make you feel this way, but I want to fix it. However, until this is resolved, I don't know that I can trust you as much as I once did."

Zas then leans forward and says, "I'm afraid that is the worst."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 21:50

Kefka spits to the side, and scoffs.

"You bein' serious Zas? You aren't going to trust me as much now because of 1 secret? Because I wanted to learn more about it before bringing it to everyone's attention so it would be more than just pure speculation. Let me tell you something...If you are going to trust me less now, don't bother trusting me at all. I have secrets. I am a Shadow Lord. Secrets are in my blood. I will keep them if I damn well please using no one's discretion but my own. We all have secrets! They are necessary to survival. They keep us safe. They keep us alive. You trust when they are given to you to hold, and you trust when they are kept from you there is a damn good reason behind it. If something like this is enough to weaken your trust in me, you never trusted me at all."

Kefka turns around and begins to storm off. After a few paces he turns back around.

"Do you expect me to believe you haven't kept secrets from some of us? I don't buy that for a minute. Whenever you are ready to stop being petty you can come find me."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 01:01

Zas stands up tensely as Mocks the replies and says in a collected tone, "You misunderstand. It is not because you chose to keep a secret from me that I have difficulty trusting you. I know that you are Shadowlord. I know that you are likely full of secrets. I have a hard time trusting you now though, because I do not know you as well as I had hoped."

Zas takes his glance off of Kedka and stares into the woods as he says, "The man I met so seemingly long ago in Nacodoches, is not the same man that stands before me now. You are different...changed. In my duty as philodox of this pack I must keep near constant vigil of my packmates health both physically and mentally lest I lose them to the Wyrm or her schemes. It was made abundantly clear to me in Akna's realm when you revealed unknown sensitive material to another Garou outside this pack, in the middle of a hunt, that you had started to stray from beyond my sight."

Zas turns back to Kefka as he says with concern, "It is the things I don't see that are the greatest threat, for the danger is limitless. I fear what I do not know...because I do not know you, that is why I do not trust you like I once did."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 13:50

Kefka shakes his head.

"Course I changed. We've all changed, you idiot. Look around! We grow, adapt, and die based on the choices we make everyday. If we weren't changing we would be dead. You yourself even changed Zas. Quite drastically to be honest. Did we lose trust in you? No. Because we are a pack and it is what we do. We trust each other intrinsically because there is nothing else we can trust besides ourselves. So get off your high horse and brace yourself...more changes are coming everyday."

Kefka glares at Zas shaking his head before turning around to walk away with clenched fists.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 15:45

Zas stretches out his hand and gently rests it on Kefka's shoulder as he says after a deep breath, "The old ones in my village used to say that we already had whatever we needed to become great."

He pauses, "I do not come to you from a position of pride, but one of concern. You came to me when I needed you. You challenged me when I changed. You reminded me of my full self. I felt that you did so because you wished to keep me focused. I am here, now, bestowing the reaping that you have sown."

Zas pulls back his hand as he says, "You are capable of great things friend. I have seen them. I want you to remember those times. Search deep within yourself-to your very roots...for the road you seem to be heading down-this change from who I know you to be to whoever you are becoming, looks, smells and feels dangerous to me. I still trust you. I am still willing to fight and die with you, but I do not trust who you are becoming."

Zas looks to the side as he says, "It is not my place to stop you from completing your journey however, and I have no intentions of doing so. Whoever you choose to be, whatever roads you take, I will always be your concerned friend and packmate."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptySat 06 Sep 2014, 10:09

Kefka takes a few deep breaths and flexes his hands before turning around. He is slowly nodding his head as he stares into Zas' eyes judging the sincerity of what was just said.

"Dangerous is a necessity among our kind is it not? Keeps us sharp. Poised to strike the Wyrm or whatever other enemy rears it's head."

He gives Zas a serious smile as he sits down.

"Join me. List the changes you have noticed. I can give my reasoning. This way you have a better idea of what to expect from me in the future. Is this satisfactory to you?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptySat 06 Sep 2014, 17:46

At Mocks the Night's slow turn to face him, Zas held his ground but braced himself for anything. The Philodox was pleasantly surprised however by the Ragabash's collected response and at his gesture to join him in discussion, the Silent Strider sat down opposed from the Shadowlord in contemplative silence. He nodded in acceptance of Kefka's proposal and as he considered his answer, the Prodigals journey began to flow through his mind. He sifted and scoured his memories for specific points that demonstrated the changes he'd observed in his friend.

When at long last he had a few instances in mind he began speaking in a serious tone. "Back in San Antonio is where I first began detecting a change. You literally seem to become another person-one steeped in shadows. In our initial fight with the Skin Rippers in the townhall you did not even recognize us and I was forced to use my gift of entrapment to prevent you from harming Zoe or I. At the time I thought it was merely you losing control of your rage, but when you did actually lose control of your rage in our fight with Akna out in the fields outside the city; I knew there to be a difference.

Then again, when we met with the gathered Garou here and you reacted to Roaring Jack's daughter and her challenge in a way I've not seen you do before: you responded more like an Ahroun, and further still you nearly bested her. You are a mighty warrior Mocks the Night maybe even crazed, but even you had to recognize that fighting with a Get of Fenris Ahroun prior to hunting for Akna was needlessly dangerous...especially with you not knowing the full extent of your curse.

Then just recently, in our hunt for Akna in her realm...you abandoned your pack in the middle of a fight. You are no coward and I have not seen you ever fail in your duties-but still you chose to leave."

Zas takes a breath, "I am not saying that in the end-things didn't end up working out more or less favorably, but these actions are contrary to who I know...knew you to be. These changes concern me."

Zas then looks into Kefka's eyes as he boldly says his words full of personal conviction, "A man must have a reason for everything he does. If he does not, then he is a child."

Zas tone then softens slightly as he says, "Your past actions have always been merited, therefore you are no child. Now, I will hear you."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptySat 06 Sep 2014, 19:50

Kefka sat patiently with eyes closed as Zas recounted the changes. He sits perfectly still only opening his eyes after Zas has finished speaking.

"In San Antonio twice I lost myself. Both times taken over by the same ancestor though the circumstances were different. In the townhall my mind was lost due to the Skinrippers and rage surged through me, in the battle with Akna I was fighting for survival. You are right though, Kharim Bloodsoaked doesn't care about you, Zoey, Eaton, or Rends. I don't think he will actively come after you, but if you get in his way...he won't back down. I don't know what he did, but he is not liked by my other ancestors, or apparently other Garou period. He is a danger to all of you, and to me...but I think I can learn from him. It worked decent enough fighting Roaring Jack's Daughter."

He pauses to smile and laugh.

"It felt good to let loose and duel like that. I realize it wasn't the wise thing to do, but are The Get of Fenris wise? Not necessarily. They answer to strength. They wanted to return to Roaring Jack taking us with them, I showed them how far we were willing to go to end Akna and the war here. Words would not have been enough to get them to see things our way. Even though I lost they saw the strength of my resolve. Had Rends or Eaton tried to fight, or even you it wouldn't have had the same effect. It had to be me. I am looked over; at a glance the weakest. They had to see my strength. If I am the weakest but am that strong, how strong do the rest of you now look to them. There was a point to it. Had I lost...well I would have been free of the curse."

He takes a breath.

"The damn curse is what got my mind all mucked up to where I can't think straight. I was always distracted trying to worry about what the effects were. If the effects would happen to me, or if the effects would happen to Harriet, and my unborn child. My only solace was in fighting. When you are fighting for your life...those distractions seem to just slip away. In Akna's realm I ran off with Walks with Spiders in the hopes we could bind her. If Walks with Spiders could have studied Akna she may have been able to free me, from my curse. If I had succeeded you all could have been spared this cursed fate, for that I am deeply sorry. I know bindin' her weren't a permanent solution, but we could have bound temporarily until a permanent solution that didn't involve eatin' her could have been found."

Kefka looks to side ashamedly.

"It was cowardly, and foolish to run off...but I was desperate..."

Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptySat 06 Sep 2014, 20:56

Zas rubs his chin as Kefka explains his past deeds, paying particularly close attention to him when he describes his ancestor. After he finishes, Zas immediately responds, "The changes I have seen in you then-since Akna is no more...they are done? Your acts done in desperation-they are over?"

He pauses for a moment, thinking of a better way to word the question, "You said earlier that more changes were coming. Why do you need to continue to change who you are if your reason for changing was Akna forcing you to act out of desperation? She is dead."

A flash of something occurs behind Zas eyes before he adds, "As for this Bloodsoaked one that controls you...if you feel that he is a worthy teacher,as a sign of respect for you, I will say nothing more. If you feel though that his teachings could be dark...or wyrm tainted-I beg of you to bring them to me before acting on them."

Zas then leans his head in conspiratorially and raises his index finger as he says, "I know there is much I do not know. But, I do know enough to know that the ways of your your tribe, and your auspice are not mine. I also know that you are no coward. As such, if you feel that Gaia can use you for her glory in the shadows, where the law and light are forlorn-where I am blind; so be it, but be forewarned however that whatever is brought before the light is under the law. I cannot and will not protect you from the litany and proper judgement."
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyMon 08 Sep 2014, 19:03

Kefka nods taking in all the philadox has said, he grins at his pack mate as he begins speaking.

"I will take the comforting cover of my shadows over the harsh haven of light. Either can be my weapon, but my mistress will always be shadows and I know how to make her tell her secrets. I don't expect you to protect me, it will be my fault for getting caught and being careless. The blame won't fall on y'all either. As Coyote is to the rest of the totems, the Ragabash is to the other Auspices. Everyone is just waiting for us to slip up."

He looks down at the ground nodding and chewing on his inner cheek before talking. He chuckles a bit before speaking in a low voice.

"I'm not going to slip up though. I am more than just a Ragabash, I am a Shadow Lord. I will be respected by those I come across. If they assume me weak I will prove them wrong. No more running."

He looks Zas in the eyes, staring into his soul.

"I am going do great things Zas Bul. I will be remembered! I am heir of wood and man, the empty sky of noble blood. I am the scorned son of Doom and Thunder. My time is at hand. The whole Garou nation will know my name."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyMon 08 Sep 2014, 20:07

The Silent Strider's mind and readied words come to a halt, as his packmate lays down his vow.

Zas B'ul sits back up and stands up as he says looking down at Kefka, "Mocks-The-Night...you are a bold man-wolf. You speak with both weight and authority. Your words are like iron. What I say next-I want you to hear-so please listen closely."

Zas looks up to the night sky as he says morosely, "Only call down thunder when you are ready to have the storm."

He then turns to look at his packmate and says, "I hope you understand this...for I worry you will not like the days ahead otherwise."

Zas then squats back down as he looks back to Kefka inquisitively and says, "What makes you certain your time is upon you?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyMon 08 Sep 2014, 22:15

Kefka gives a huge belly laugh at Zas' warning.

"That my friend would have been great advice for my father."

He laughs louder and wipes away a single tear from his eye. He calms himself down as he looks at his concerned friend.

"My father died by getting struck with lightning. The bolt went straight through him. He was unprepared for the storm he brought when he cast me out like he did, just for being a Garou. You ever hear of a town called Fort Dodge? Whole town burned to ash in the span of a night. The whole town paid the price for my father's sin."

Kefka trails off into space thinking about his Rite his Passage, as he remembers crushing the wounded Garou under his boot he snaps back into reality. Obviously a little shaken, but he plays it off.

"I am certain my time is upon me my friend because I have decided it is, and I for one don't like arguing with myself." He winks and chuckles again.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyMon 08 Sep 2014, 23:02

Zas looks at his friend wide eyed for a moment before giving him a doubtful glance as he says, "I have seen many strange things Mocks the night...but I have yet to see what you just described."

Zas pauses for a moment still unsure of his packmate as he seemed to be telling the truth, "I must ask why you felt the need to kill your father...with lightning? What did he do that warranted such a response? Did he kill your mother?"

The philodox is briefly at a loss for words as the truth finally settles in. Zas looks at his packmate, eyes full of questions but asks sorrowfully, "Why didn't you strike down Akna with the weapons of the storm?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 09 Sep 2014, 00:18

At Zas' question Kefka gives a sorrowful smile.

"The only one who truly commands the storm is Grandfather Thunder. I can only make it rain and clap my hands for thunder...One day I will learn more and gain more control, but I am not there yet."

He pauses awhile lost in his thoughts, mulling over what words are best to say. Eventually he speaks, but it is in a pained, hushed tone.

"I didn't kill my father. Grandfather Thunder killed him as a gift to me. I transformed and got cast out of my family. I wandered around alone until I found a small town, while at the bar Drowns His Foes approached me. He told me a little of the litany and that what my father did was a crime that must be punished. For my rite of passage I had to deal out justice. I had to make my father pay. I had two brothers that I ran off. I didn't want them getting hurt to protecting father so I scared one off, and convinced the other to chase after him and make sure he was okay."

He takes a deep breath before continuing.

"I found my father by this tree. It was big and beautiful. He told me that my mother was a Garou named "Sky of Dusk" and that she was dead. He would tell me no more about her so I beat him senseless with his own pistol. Then tied him to his favorite tree. I left him there unconscious while I returned to town to take care of the only other thing he had left in the world. His bar. I spilled the barrels of alcohol, I smashed bottles against the wall. I doused the place, lit it up, and left. When I returned to my father to laugh at him, a bolt of lightning struck the ground passing through him and the tree. I thanked Grandfather Thunder, was praised by Drowns His Foes, became a Shadow Lord"

Kefka stares at Zas for a few beats after speaking before closing his eyes and nodding his head. He then tilts his head up to look at Luna's light, unsure of how his pack mate would react.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 09 Sep 2014, 12:10

Zas's face frowns at the story, but he says nothing until Kefka says what he intended. The philodox then laid down on the ground and stared up at the sky, as his mind tried to process everything.

Several long quiet minutes go by before he sits up and gazes at Mocks the Night and says, "I think I would like to meet this Drowns-his-foes."

He pauses before adding, "Do you think you found justice?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots EmptyTue 09 Sep 2014, 16:02

Kefka lays down as well.

"I should like to see him again so perhaps you will be able to."

He closes his eyes and enjoys the silence before answering the next question.

" I don't know if I found justice. I found freedom though."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Troubled Roots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Troubled Roots   Troubled Roots Empty

Back to top Go down

Troubled Roots
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: