HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Moonlit Stratagem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kefka

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-09-01

PostSubject: Moonlit Stratagem   Thu 19 Dec 2013, 18:15

Kefka sat on the ground while others talked. He took his hat off and rubbed his hand through his already messed up hair. At the mention of leaving the kinfolk at the bar under the protection of the militia Kefka glared at Rends. Kefka felt the rage boiling inside of him but he pushed it back and politely waited for a break in the conversation. When there was one he stood up, spat on the ground, and spoke.

"No. I ain't gonna stand for that. I don't know the Carmichaels too well, but I know Harriet...and to put it plainly I will be damned before i leave her in the hands of someone else to protect especially in the hands of militia who ain't got no idea what they are up against. We move the kinfolk to the bar for fortification purposes and get the militia to defend them and we are insuring the bar will be attacked, our kinfolk will be attacked. I won't stand for it. I am going tonight to try and convince Harriet to hide in her house for a couple of days. She will be safer closer to the caern. The Spiral dancers, if they are coming, are after the Carmichaels not her. I ain't riskin her for them. Now if Harriet is willin to help the Carmichaels out and let them use her bar for defense or hide out with her in her house...that is entirely up to her and I can't help that. What I can help is you all volunteering her to put herself in danger."

When he finishes speaking...he takes a couple of deep breaths and puts his hat back on his head. He shakes his head as he begins to speak again.

"We can't do this alone. Not without casualties...Come on guys think there must be some other allies we can call in. I only met Drowns his Foes a'fore got tangled in with you lot here, surely you all came from other caerns, other packs. Rends you know some Gets in Galveston right? Zas your tribe, would they help defend us? What about you Leper friend, anyone who you could call a favor from? There is contact between caerns right Allfriend? Can't we use spirit magic and get other garou here? There must be a way, we just need to find it"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

avatar

Posts : 498
Join date : 2013-09-02
Location : Nacogdoches, TX

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Thu 19 Dec 2013, 18:53

Zoe nods to Mocks solemnly.

"Though my relationship with Harriet is much different than yours, I, too, feel a special connection to her as she gave me a place to stay when I stumbled into town a while back. We certainly do not aim to put anyone in harm's way if at all possible, especially any one of our kinfolk, be it Harriet or the Carmichaels."

Zoe releases a heavy sigh. "The odds certainly appear to be stacked against us. Cordova's troops outnumber us at least 80 to 1. Crinos is a darn powerful form, but even Crinos would be vulnerable against 80 soldiers. If nothing else, they could keep us occupied while Cordova completes his intended mission. That being the case, we cannot fight them head on. That would be suicide. We're not invincible. They seem to have the advantage in numbers, but great numbers can also be a weakness. The five of us can communicate immediately and across long distances. In a group of 400, however, it takes time for information to spread throughout the army."

She looks up into the sky, visibly trying to recall something from her memory.

"In school, we were taught many stories of battles that went in favor of the group that from all human standpoints had every reason to lose. One man, Gideon, brought only 300 men against an army of thousands."

She turns back to Mocks with a smirk. "This sounds like something a ragabash would do. In the dark of night, the 300 men surrounded the camp, smashed clay pots with lanterns inside of them and sounded horns and shouted. The cacophony put the enemy in such confusion that they began turning on themselves, not realizing they were destroying their own allies."

"In another story, the same small army was going against innumerable enemies who had called multiple armies against them. When morning came, the plain where they were to fight was covered with puddles of water that looked like blood in the light of the sunrise. The enemies, assuming the army to be defeated, relaxed in their camp. The small army then caught them unaware and defeated them mightily."

"All this to say that we need to consider allof our advantages, even those that may appear to be weaknesses. We can travel in the umbra unseen by most. I can summon spirits to assist us. Spiritual forces might be exceptionally useful against Mexicans, Blacks, and Indians, who tend to be more superstitious than white folk. Just the thought of dealing with spirits may turn some of them to flight."

Zoe shrugs. "None of that translates into a full-fledged plan, but those are just my thoughts on how a group of our size can defeat or at least defend against such a large number of enemies."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

avatar

Posts : 628
Join date : 2013-08-29
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Thu 19 Dec 2013, 20:28

Zas tenses up as Kefka speaks. As he stares at Rends angrily, and Zoe talks, Zas remembered back to Scents-The-Lies advice. He then turns to Mocks-The-Night and says softly yet firmly, "We will not be sacrificing anyone. We are still considering the information we have being brought to us by this caern totem. We were charged with defending the Caern, but defending kinfolk is also a priority. Both are a part of the litany. We will uphold our duty. The best means of accomplishing this remains to be seen."

He pauses and then stares off briefly as he says, "My tribe is too far away to be of help. I do have a way of communing with others who are closer but I fear they too may be too late were they to help and answer our call. I will do what I can regarding that matter though. However, as for what I think right now I feel waiting to see our enemy's movement and play will be best."

He then turns back to the rest of the party and says, "I do think that moving the kinfolk closer would be wise. Perhaps making the bar look like a fort to draw our enemies focus to one area would be helpful. We could also do as Zoe suggested and frighten Cordovas forces with possible spiritual aid."

He sighs momentarily before adding, "The caern must be the main focus though. That said, I feel it best that I honor my word. I feel that I must be the one to go to the Cherokee village to protect it as I told the spirits. It also is the furthest thing from the caern, which means that should it get overrun by Cordovas forces, and I have to fall back here, or need to return to the caern for an emergency that I can get here the quickest."

He then adds, "Perhaps striking at Cordova's forces after we see his plans unfold will be possible, but the majority of our strength has to remain here to defend the caern until then."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Thu 19 Dec 2013, 22:09

Rends is surprised at Kefka's outburst, but keeps his own temper in check, if barely. The large man glares at his friend for a moment in silent consideration before replying.

"I don't think we want the kind of help the Get would offer us if we asked. If they was helpin' defend the Caern and they turned out to be the deciders in the battle they'd want to stay. Permanently. They'd be buying the land in their blood and they'd likely kill us afterwards to take care of any question of ownership. 'Sides, I figure they'd be a mite upset when they found out I'd made a pack with the girl I was supposed to bring south for judgement."

He spits to the side in disdain.

"Not that they's anything they can do about it, but there it is. The Get ain't an option, and I don't like the idea of asking for help regardless. We can take care of our own, we jest need a plan."

He rubs a hand through his sandy hair, thinking.

"Moving all the kinfolk to one place makes sense, and makin' that place here makes sense too. Likely the only things after them's the kind of critter we need to fight without having to worry as much about breaking the Litany. Seems likely Cordova could send most of his reg'lar men to town to fight the Militia and the more nasty stuff here to secure the Caern at the same time. He knows we're spread thin, but he likely doesn't know how thin since Red and the others only jest left for their hunt. We may be able to use that to our advantage."

He nodds to Zoe in acknowledgement.

"Way I see it they may not be able to fight, but the Kinfolk can pull some weight anyhow in this battle. We know the Carmichaels and Harriet's nearby, but do we know how many kinfolk are with the Injuns? There's gotta be a good few of 'em in that village and the area around to keep Bull here. Why not bring 'em all here and make Cordova's men think we got a whole army o' nasty Garou waiting for 'em?"

Rends looks around at the rest of the group, bloodlust barely controlled.

"We get 'em all here, make a big bonfire in the middle of the Caern. Dress the Kinfolk up in feathers and furs and such to make 'em all look like Crinos warriors eager to get to the fightin'. Then, when Cordova's forces see 'em the real Garou come charging in and tear 'em to bits! Then the Kinfolk start hollerin' and screamin' and wavin' axes and follow after us and we chase 'em off 'afore they know what hit 'em! We probably cain't kill 'em all, but it should push 'em back for a while and get 'em to reconsider. Maybe long enough for the Militia to fight off the main army."

He turns to Kefka, eager.

"It shouldn't be too dangerous for the Kinfolk, and they'll have their guns and weapons too. This way we can keep an eye on all of 'em and not split our own forces, while fightin' Cordova head on and fighting on our own terms."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
avatar

Posts : 435
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Fri 20 Dec 2013, 12:54

All-Friend listens carefully to the others plans before quietly shaking his head. "I see the strategic value in a feint maneuver, but I do not want to bring kinfolk here- especially untested ones such as the Cherokee or Carmichaels. Even Red-Oath doesn't bring her most trusted people here- they do their business out in the bayous or in town." The slightly scraggly looking Child of Gaia gives them a frustrated look. "The truth of the matter is, as much as I would like to put my trust in our kinfolk, they are just humans, at the end of the day. They are strong in some areas, but they are wasted in battle. We depend on them for quite a lot, but I don't think it would be wise to try to recruit them to fight and die for us."

He walks a few feet away, his gaze fixed on Luna as she climbed into the sky. "And as much as it pains me to say it, a fair few of the Cherokee who are fighting with Cordova are kinfolk. I want to help the Indians as much as anyone, but we might be inviting our enemies into our house, and I can not allow that."

He glances over to where Papa Stagecoach is meandering around the track nearby, fussing at the spirit horses that pull his stagecoach. "I agree that the Get of Fenris might make dangerous allies, but even if we were to call for aid, I think Cordova will have either attacked or have been destroyed by Red-Oath and Bowl. This Caern, like many in the west, do not have functional moon bridges." His weary eyes turn sad but a determined light remains. "We are alone, unless you are counting the Pure tribes out on the frontier or the odd Red Talon pack to the north and east. I have little experience with either, but I doubt that they'd make for savory allies."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wtarat.forumotion.com
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Fri 20 Dec 2013, 17:25

Though the way Eaton stared off into the night made it look like he wasn't paying attention, he was listening very intently. He does seem to perk up after Zoe tells her stories. He breaths a sigh of relief as he hears All-Friend share his opinion on the Kinfolk; he didn't want them put in danger, either.

"Zoe, I think you're on the right track. We don't need to kill them," He shoots a glance at Rends and points a finger at him,

"Hear me out." And turns to face everyone,

"What if we just killed their spirit? I know we talked about this before, what if Cordova just went  . . missin'? Right before the big battle? That would certainly confuse 'em."

He looks back at Zoe,

"You know more about the spirits then I do; what could be done to make his men more jumpy? I know Hawkins did it; would it be possible to drag Cordova into the Umbra? That way, we wouldn't leave a body behind."

He glances at Papa Stagecoach and says while he holds his gaze,

"And from what he said," He nods towards the spirit, "If there's somethin' up with Cordova I don't want to find out on the battlefield."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:28

Kefka laughs loudly at Eaton's plan. "Drag Cordova into the Umbra? You may as well be digging or graves. His source of power is in the Umbra, hence the trek the others are making through the Abyss. They are attacking his source of power in the Umbra, we are meant to defend the caern, the kinfolk, the Indians, and Nacogdoches as a whole. In that order. Saving the town won't mean a hill a' beans if'n we lose this caern. Zas you can go defend the Cherokee with the...well...you know who to help. Rends if you are feelin bloodthirsty you can always dart around to the back of Cordova's army and break ranks at his rear while he tries to march forward. The rest of us should try and remain here, since there are no allies to call on. As Red Oath mentioned...the wyrm will be drawn here, this is where we need to focus our defenses, if we lose this we lose it all."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

avatar

Posts : 498
Join date : 2013-09-02
Location : Nacogdoches, TX

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:53

Zoe listens to the suggestions and concerns of her Garou brothers. When she speaks, her words are slow and calculated.

"Why must we defend the caern?"

She holds up a hand to silence those who would jump down her throat at such a question before continuing.

"Yes, Zas, it is in the Litany and is our duty to Gaia, but why? What advantage would Cordova and the Wyrm gain by possessing our caern? What power could they draw from such easy access to the umbra?"

She pauses a moment to let them mull over her questions, their faces wondering where exactly she is going with this line of questioning.

"It's a frightening thought, is it not, having extremely powerful beings with a direct connection to the spiritual realm. If only we had something like that in our possession...oh wait, we do!"

Zoe laughs out loud. "Of course we defend the caern, not because the caern is defenseless but because of the power that is found within. None of us has yet to suggest using the caern to our advantage. We have all spoken of it as if it's some elder relative that is in desperate need of our help. The caern can help us, too, and we must utilize its power to our advantage to keep it from falling into the hand of the Wyrm!"

Zoe's excitement boils over as she speaks to the others. She takes a deep breath and smiles.

"Now, just one little question..."

She makes eye contact with the All-Friend, Penelope, and each Prodigal, ending with Kefka.

"How?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

avatar

Posts : 628
Join date : 2013-08-29
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:13

Zas nods at Eaton and says, "That would be a good plan, except that we don't know what all else he has guarding him. Besides, the others that traveled to the abyss are working on taking away his power. Once he loses that, he will be defenseless. Until then, Cordova is and should be considered extremely dangerous. Our duty is to defend the Caern."
Zas nods at Kefka as he speaks and then says, "We can consider pulling Cordova into the umbra after the others return from the abyss and have stripped him of his power."

Zas struggles to hold his tongue as Zoe speaks.
After she finishes, Zas eyes her carefully and says with a dead pan voice, "We are called to obey the litany. You do not question it. It exist for our continued survival. It says to protect the Caern, so we protect the Caern. As if that weren't enough, your alpha has asked each of us to defend the Caern personally. You, more than any of us should realize the foolishness and the danger of questioning both the litany and your alpha, especially at this point."

Zas then pauses and says "Using the Caern is exactly what I thought you meant earlier when you mentioned calling spiritual aid to scare away Cordovas men. Summoning many spirits or perhaps one really powerful one here in the Caern to aid in its defense is a good plan. We should all do what we can to protect this place. We have spiritual allies and should call for them to aid us."

Zas then turns to stare out into the Caern and says, "If you are here Laughing Stranger, we could use some help."

Zas then turns back to the group and says, "Our strength lies in our numbers. Therefore, as I have said, most of us must remain here to protect the Caern. Attacking Cordova directly is unwise and redundant. We can perhaps strike at him in small hit and run attacks to slow down his forces and then fall back to the Caern, but a direct assault on him personally is needless and dangerous. To survive we need to be patient and smart."

Zas turns to Rends and says, "A fight is coming one way or another, and to be sure you will be able to spill blood, but do it in such a way that you are remembered. Killing many barely armed humans and then dying from them overtaking you is not nearly as impressive as stopping an entire force of men and living to tell the tale. If you rush in tooth and claw you will kill maybe 100 of them. Papa stagecoach mentioned that few of them had guns. So that means if you use distance to your advantage you can kill more of them from further away and then as they get nearer bare your teeth and claws. You will take out many more that way. If we want to win, we will need to fight like my kind, the apache. Fight smart, attack fast, and fade away before the enemy can regroup. You want to die as a little known cliath here or live to become a feared and respected famous Get of Fenris elder? You decide."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
avatar

Posts : 435
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Sun 29 Dec 2013, 16:15

The Laughing Stranger stepped out of Hear's-the-Song's shadow, his yellow eyes bright and smiling in the light of the full moon. "Leper-Friend, you weren't here when the pack fought Cordova's little errand boy. That mockery was ornery as hell. If we simply attack Cordova, he and his Abyss-spawned goons might just overwhelm and kill us. That's the reason Red-Oath and Bowl are traipsing into the Abyss, to cripple his spiritual allies."

All-Friend stared bemusedly at the spirit for a moment before he pointed at Zoe. "You are right, our spiritual forces are formidable- Lune-Stalker has maintained a strong bond with our friends in the Umbra. The Caern must be defended, but it is not a liability. In my mind, our, uh, strategic weaknesses are our kin, which I am not sure Cordova knows about, and the Cherokee village." The greying soldier gave them a frustrated shrug. "If Cordova does move toward the village, it would be a terrible move- he might simply attack them, but he might also try to recruit, and that would also spell disaster. Rusk would see that as the Cherokee explicitly coming down on the side of the rebellion- this isn't just a military conflict, it's a diplomatic nightmare."

Penelope simply watches and listens, her young dark eyes filled with anger and doubt as the Garou and spirits hold council.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wtarat.forumotion.com
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   Mon 30 Dec 2013, 00:05

After hearing what The Laughing Stranger had to say about Cordova's mockery, he looks slightly taken aback. He then glances to each of his packmates,

"That wasn't when Sylvester took a cannon to the chest, was it? Just how much fun did you guys have without me?"

Quickly turning more serious he adds,

"All-Friend, if Cordova tries to recruit more soldiers at the village, how do ya think he would do it? Take the entire army there and pressure 'em? Send a few saps ahead to try and rile up the crowd? What'd he do to get folks on his side in the past?"

He then turns to Zas with a slight frown,

"Yeah, but how do we know when Red-Oath and all them succeed? If getting back is anythin' like gettin there, we might not know until Cordova's troops are bearin' down on us."

Eaton lowers his head as he mumbles under his breath,

"If they come back . . ."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Moonlit Stratagem   

Back to top Go down
 
Moonlit Stratagem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Apocalypse Strategic Assets
» Shiver 3: Moonlit Grove
» Monster Hunter Generations Title List

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: