HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Leadership

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kefka

PostSubject: Leadership   Fri 24 Mar 2017, 12:48

Mocks brushed the splinters and twigs out of his fur and looked around to make sure his packmates were okay, and that there were no other attackers in the immediate vicinity. He sat down cross legged while still in Crinos as his body healed itself from the fight. When his body finished he shifted into homid and took his hat off stared at it as he held it in his hands. After a moment or two he spoke.

"Listen y'all. I ain't made the right calls lately. That caravan shouldn't have been attacked, plain and simple. We know better, we are supposed to be better. Then to make matters worse... I tried to run away and let the Talons take all the punishment. That ain't right of me..."

He paused for a moment as he replaced his hat on top his head and grabbed his flask and took a long swig.

"Then earlier tonight I went against some of y'all by deciding we need to keep that Bone Gnawer kin vampire alive and even fed. That ain't how an alpha is supposed to act. If anything goes wrong, I will take full responsibility for my actions."

He replaced his flask to his side and looked each packmate in the eyes.

"All that to say I don't think I am fit to be Alpha right now. It ain't right for me to be in charge dealing with the bone gnawers, the talons, and the Get. I'm just not suited for it. The weight of Alpha was something I was unprepared for and Rends I am sorry you had to hold it for so long. So that got me thinking. Do you remember when our pack first formed? We had no alpha. We simply worked together and trusted each other. Who ever was most confident in their abilities to take charge in a given situation would take charge for that situation and it worked well for us."

He popped his neck and took another small swig from his flask.

"Now I know that after Zavala we decided to have an Alpha because we screwed up by all trying to do our own thing...but look at us now. We still screw up time and time again. Having an Alpha didn't change that. We are children of Coyote. So let's be different. We each have our own strengths and weaknesses, and we know each other's strengths and weaknesses more than we did when we first formed so we shouldn't have a problem with deciding who should lead and when."

Mocks smiled.

"We all lead. We all shine. We all carry the load. We succeed together. Gaia forbid, but we fail together. We live and we die as a pack. This my proposal. What say you?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Fri 24 Mar 2017, 21:42

Zoe took a few deep breaths, still recovering from her injuries. Though no longer in a frenzy, rage still burned behind her eyes.

"You mean to tell me that here, at the entrance to a vampire den, is where you decide to bail on leading this pack? Why? Because you can't handle people being mad at you about the screw up with the Bone Gnawer kin?"

Zoe spit to the side and slowly stood to her feet as she quickly regained her strength.

"We decided as a pack to attack the caravan. You didn't force our claws and fangs. Same with Orlando. Even if we were all equally in charge, there would have been disagreement over what to do with him. Rends, Eaton, and Zas did not stay their hand just because you said so. It's because you, and I, presented a convincing alternative to killing him on the spot. The only time I think you overstepped your bounds was when you went to talk to Bone Gnawers without talking to your pack first. You know Eaton would have wanted to join you, despite what the consequences would have been."

The Theurge exhaled sharply and shook her head slightly.

"You know that I support you and try to encourage you as much as possible, Mocks-the-Night, but this just feels to me like you're bailing out because things are getting tough. You know why Rends was such a great alpha? Because he screwed up and then he learned from his mistakes and did better next time. Accept whatever fault is yours, learn from your mistakes, and do better next time. But bailing out so we can 'all carry the load' sounds like more running away."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Fri 24 Mar 2017, 22:47

Rends sighed after Mocks' announcement, and resigned himself to a hard discussion. He paused for a moment first, and with a loud crunch he snapped his right shoulder and wrist back into place after clearing himself from the fallen bane. Just as he was about to speak, Zoe cut in and his mouth snapped shut.

He watched and listened, idly straightening out a couple of dislocated fingers during the tirade. When she was done, he just shrugged and dusted himself off.

"Know what? I reckon Zoe's done hit the nail on the head. Now ain't the time fer doubt and wishful thinkin'. We got leeches to kill and after that we got a war to stop, and like it or not you's the one callin' the shots. I didn't back down and quit after Hanging Maw convinced us to let him murder a bunch of folks and make 'em into Bane horse nightmares. I fixed it. We fixed it."

He spits out a broken fang and spreads his lips in a wide bloody grin at his Alpha.

"You ain't gettin' out of this that easy, buddy. If they's one thing I've learned about leadin' it's that it don't stop when you want it to. That's when you double down and plough ahead. Wrong calls happen. Mistakes happen. But that's how you learn. Doubt is how you die."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Sat 25 Mar 2017, 00:25

The philodox was deathly silent. Withdrawing the wooden shrapnel from his Crinos furred torso, he initially turned to hear Mocks but as soon as he heard the gist of the message, that Mocks did not feel fit to be Alpha, the quiet garou turned back around, his back to the pack.

When Zoe concluded her perspective,  the Silent Strider rose to his feet, his wound slowly beginning to heal.

As Rends finished sharing his words of encouragement, the Apache let out a low growl before reverting back to his homid form and walking to join the conversation, his focus solely on the Shadowlord.

"We spoke about this! You already recognized that now was not the time to lose focus!  You accepted that your legacy could be more than having made a single mistake!" Howled the normally soft spoken Philodox.

He closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose while taking a long slow deep breath, his body noticeably trembling.  

Zas opens his eyes again, a single tear rolling down his cheek, "You have committed to this then-to surrendering your role as Alpha?"

He wipes his face, "If that's really what you want to do here...now, to this pack-fine damn it! I will accept you stepping down."

The Philodox sniffs once, "But I would rather be buried alive again than see this pack without an Alpha. We all nearly died in Zavala-to say nothing of the fetishes. That's why  we decided to pick an Alpha in the first place. We almost died from not having a unified force-we each acted on what we felt was most important. There was no one coordinating our efforts. You want to call it a youthful indiscretion, fine, but the fact remains we almost died and we did not have an alpha. If there's even the slightest chance that that will happen again; us having made the same mistake--I refuse to accept this."

Zas clears his throat. He looks directly at Mocks initially but then looks around at his other packmates and says, "If you are truly deeming yourself unfit to remain alpha and intend to step down, I am going to toss my name in for the now vacant role for the pack to consider. But the safety of this pack demands that before we finish this attack on the vampires it is clearly known who is Alpha and who is not."

The Silent Strider looks to each packmate, "He has some good ideas. Whoever is best suited for something should take the lead; there's no reason one of us should be expected to do everything. But it is in those instances where no one particularly stands out or is the "best" at something that having a constant unchanging steady person in the role of Alpha is vital to the pack. My upbringing is different from both Rends and Mocks. I am already accustomed to having a council of chiefs, where every chief has equal voice and the big head chief is simply the one voted to act on what the rest of the council says...very similar to what is being suggested now."

He pauses, turning to face the Ragabash his eyes full of conflicted emotion, "The pack has to know though, Mocks. Are you actually choosing to step down from being alpha...or not?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Sat 25 Mar 2017, 10:32

Eaton looked at a rather large thorn lodged in his abdomen. He attempted to pull it loose, yelping involuntarily, before he decided to leave it alone for now. He looked to Mocks and said,
"Even if Gaia laid this on your heart, I don't think now is the time to pass that torch or toss it away like your sayin'. You're at least gonna be alpha until we get these damn leeches taken care of."

Standing up best he can, he adds, "Part of bein' a leader is knowin' when you can delegate, trust someone with a task. It ain't callin' the shots against others will or controllin' folks through brute strength. I don't think your or Rends when he was in charge did anything like this- when we screwed it, it tended to be a communal arrangement. If ya think that you ain't the best one to be makin' a decision, then just let someone else have their say- a poor leader would be the one who thinks his decisions hold more value solely due to position. If yer able to do that, I don't see why ya would need to step down and throw the mantel away altogether."

Still grimacing through the pain, he added, "And I'm trustin' that you thinkin' our dynamic needin' to change ain't out of fear of failure- it's out of wantin' to do the right thing in every situation."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Sun 26 Mar 2017, 09:57

Mocks sighed and was silent for a few minutes after his packmates.

"Zoe...Things didn't just get hard, I could deal with that. I could work through that. This is a screw up on levels we ain't seen before and when you make certain mistakes things have to change. Rends this is worse than Zavala, Washington on the Brazos, and Galveston probably combined. I intend to fix this, but afterwards I ain't leading us. Zags I know we talked and I know you're pissed. You have every right. Things have changed since we had our conversation, I realized that tonight and after talking with everyone else. Eaton, you're right I just can't trust myself to make the right decision, especially when I tried to run away from this because it was easier."

He paused.

"Look it ain't all jes for personal reasons. Politically I need to step down to. Killing these kinfolk is probably the worse thing that we ever done as a pack and if I don't step down, or be removed or as Alpha we are showing everyone that what we did is okay. Their have to be ramifications for our actions plain and simple. Stepping down is a small gesture... But I think it's an important one that needs to be made."

He looked around at his packmates.

"That bein' said I ain't gonna just leave you leaderless here. I just wanted to get your cogs turning because my days as Alpha are numbered. When we reach the Bone Gnawers I'll formally step down in front of them. I just was hoping we could decide on a plan of action now on who will lead, if anyone, once I step down."

He took a swig from his flask.

"I'm really sorry."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 13:43

Zoe scoffed, rolled her eyes, crossed her arms, and cocked her head.

"Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even mentioned anything to us and are unwilling to hear anything your pack has said. Why even bring it up at all?"

Zoe mumbled the next line, but made sure everyone could hear her.

"'What say you?' he asked, as if he actually cared."

Zoe spat to the side and shook her head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:06

Rends shook his head, heaving a sigh of frustration.

"Look, whatever happens it ain't gonna happen till we get this mess sorted out first. I say we put this off for now so we can focus on killin' leeches and appeasing the Gnawers."

He shook his head at Mocks, eyes disappointed.

"Now ain't the time fer thus talk when Wes knee deep in Wyrm shit."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:40

Zas gives a grim look to Kefka as he finishes speaking, his eyes seeming to have a despondent glaze grow over them.

"So you are stepping down..."

The Silent Strider nods once seeming to have registered what the rest of the pack was saying, as he adds, "--but not yet." His eyes shrugging off the faded look.

"We finish this. We kill every blood sucker around. We then go do what we can do to repair the damage done to the Bone gnawers. Then the situation is addressed as we head to Galveston." He seems to be more talking aloud to himself than giving a command to anyone-going through a check list.

The philodox nods, "We must not be distracted. Our objectives and targets are now clear."

He blinks, but gives a firm resolute look "What I said then...stands. We will handle it later. For now-you are alpha."

The Apache at this point looks around at the pack to confirm that everyone understands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 18:18

Eaton shrugged in response, grimacing from the pain as he turned to Zoe, "Like he said, this ain't because it got hard or made a mistake- it's goin' forward, we shouldn't have a designated Alpha. Is that what you've got a problem with?"

In response to Mock's he said, "Other than that- Rends is right, even if ya don't feel right to lead in the future, ya gotta see this little venture till it's overwith. And after that fight, Good God I hope this is almost overwith."

Blood oozed from around the thorn as Eaton readjusted its position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 19:15

Mocks sighed as Zoe spoke.

"Me stepping down was never up for debate, what was up for debate was whether to have an alpha when I step down or to go back to how things were when we started. And for the record I did listen to what you said. Just because you didn't convince me to stay alpha is no reason for you to throw a tantrum and say I don't listen. Can you honestly look me in eye and tell me you would be okay if a pack of Garou killed Connor and your daughter and the alpha who made the call stayed in charge? If Red Oath made a call that almost started a war and killed a bunch of kinfolk would you be defending her like you are me?"

Mocks shook his head.

"Leaders are not meant to be followed blindly."

He looked to Rends.

"And Rends I know you are disappointed... Hell I am too. But can you honestly look me in the eye and say you wouldn't be after Robert's head if he killed a bunch of kinfolk, and almost started a war?"

He paused.

"We have to look at my call and our actions from the outside. It's for the good of the pack for me to step down because of what happened. Is it going to fix everything no, but it's a gesture and a step in the right direction, and right now we need as many steps in the right direction that we can muster. Zas if you want to lead I will follow you as Alpha. I truly am sorry to have let you down. But as you stated, and as I mentioned I will see us through until we meet the Bone Gnawers again. We will slay these vampires and then make tracks."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 21:53

Zoe's eyes flashed with rage as the Ragabash mentioned her husband and daughter.

"If anything happened to my family, one alpha stepping down would not even begin to make it right!" she growled.

"But for the last damn time, attacking the caravan wasn't your idea alone! We all misinterpreted the vision! We all agreed to attack! No one paused to consider whether these people were actually a danger to our caern. We were all fools. We are loyal, but we're not stupid enough to go obey blindly. We didn't. We thought we were doing the right thing, and we were dead wrong."

"Step down. Fine. If that's what you think is best. But for Gaia's sake, don't do it in front of the Bone Gnawers. That will be a slap in their faces."

Zoe sighed, but was still visibly seething.

"As far as having a pack alpha is concerned, I have no opinion at this time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leadership   

Back to top Go down

Leadership
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1