HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Apex Predator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Apex Predator   Fri 07 Oct 2016, 01:06

The wooded marsh and scrub-land that lay just outside of the shoreline hummed with life. The fireflies flittering glows lit the early evening air. The cry of the gulls pierced the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. The occasional groan from the nearby trees swaying to the night breeze was almost melodically synchronized.

Above it all, a grating, gritty, harsh, and seemingly painful noise rose above. A lone Get of Fenris ahroun was found to be the culprit.

'Vin' stepped back and inspected his work thus far. Satisfied with his progress, he leaned forwards to begin again.

In the center of a small ring of stone, positioned in his breed form, the lupus fenrir braced his front legs against the base of the large coarse rock in the center of the smaller stones. He then opened his mouth wide to reveal his glistening and honed to a serrated-razor's-edge fangs, which he then proceeds to rake across, digging deeply into the top of the stone continuing to sharpen them. Long teeth score marks and grooves in the rock from the wolf's efforts explained the cause of the loud sound.

He pauses mid way through as his ears twitch, and he lifts his head up and gives the air a whiff.

Feasts-on-Ashes turns his body to face the scent and remains completely still, but lowers his frame to be poised and ready to leap forwards as the sight of the Prodigal's new alpha steps into view.

The Ahroun studies his guest for a long tense moment, attempting to ascertain the purpose or intention of the visit. When no immediate outward threat presents itself, the fenrir slowly sits up to rest on his haunches and curls his tail around him, awaiting to hear what prompted this unexpected meeting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 03:07

Mocks stared oddly at the Ahroun Lupus. The strange sound is what drew him to this area, and he was quite surprised to see the sound was the Ahroun sharpening his teeth on a rock. He shrugged and began to approach him with his hands firmly in his coat pockets. It was fine that he was making the noise, Mocks had business with him anyway. Mocks chose a sturdy tree near the Ahroun and and leaned against it, and folded his arms across his chest. His eyes were focused on the rock as he tried to figure out what kind of rock could sharpen fang and claw, but his words were directed towards the Lupus.

"I don't mean to interrupt your uh... excercise Vin. I just wanted to know what to expect on the way to the Uktena. Once we get that hashed out, I'll get out of your hair. I just want to know what the lay of the land is, the terrain and what not. The fewer surprises we have on our way there the better, because I am sure the Uktena will have some for us."

Mocks directed his gaze back to the Lupus as he finished speaking waiting for a reply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 13:21

The Fenrir Ahroun lowered his head and opened his mouth to speak.

In the first tongue his voice sounded deeper than normal, "Hunting ground good. Earth soft. Air cleansed."

He went to say more but snorted in frustration and slowly shifted into homid form.

Feasts on Ashes popped his neck upon reaching the homid form. "You are not like the others. Why do you wish to know of the land? Most apes do not care how the hunt fares unless they need coin."

He stands up and approached Mocks slowly, sniffing in his direction. "You smell like man...but also woods. Why?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 16:53

Mocks nodded as he was told of the lay of the land.  

"I wish to know the lay of the land because I am Alpha. I need this knowledge to know what to prepare for. I need this knowledge to be the best Alpha I can be. If I am not at my best, I cannot best serve the pack. I appreciate the information."

At the mention of smelling of man and woods Mocks cocked his head to the side. What could this Get know of his lineage... How could he know I am Son of the Woodsman? No. Surely that is not what he means. He shook the thoughts out of his head.

"Well I am a Homid so obviously I would smell of man, the smell of the woods would be due to being Garou, would it not? Or is there something else you are referring to?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 18:12

Vin takes a step back and seems momentarily at a loss for words. He scratches behind ears and licks his lips before looking up at Kefka and speaking.

"You seem closer to what it means to be wolf. That is what I mean."

He tilts his head for a long moment.

"Are you the Alpha?" Giving added emphasis to the first word in the question by taking a step closer to the Shadowlord.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 18:23

Mocks nodded appreciatively.

"Coming from you I would say that is a high compliment. Thank you."

After Vin asks his question Mocks loses any joy his face previously held and spits to the side. He walks towards Vin, only stopping when there is the tiniest bit of room between them. His green eyes pierce the night as he looks down at the shorter Get.

"Yer damn right I'm Alpha, and you would do well to remember it. I will not have our mission fail because you and your brother don't know how to follow orders."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 20:22

The muscle-clad norse wolf did not back down; rather he squared off and met the Prodigal member's piercing stare with an ice-cold bone chilling glare of his own.

Feasts on Ashes sniffs at Mocks the night and says, "I meant what was said. You seem closer to the wolf than most Manskr. You should know that being Alpha makes you leader."

"I have no claim to be this pack's alpha. I am an Ulfr Voksen outsider, you are Elev. You know this pack and they know you. Though you may be all Manskr and your ways are different as the Loki dog guides you, you are still of wolf blood. Words and promises, agreements-they mean nothing. You are strongest. You lead as alpha. It is the way of the wolf." Vin says with a cool sense of calm, though you can easily tell he is not use to speaking this long as his face is scrunched tightly from trying to focus on making certain his words were clear.

The Fenrir draws a deep breath, his eyes barely containing the raging fury inside as he bares his sharpened fangs, "Words half spoken and Feasts on Ashes will not fail. Death before dishonor-the true fenrir way, but orders must come from someone who knows their place."

Last edited by Zas B'ul on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 20:39

Mocks did not back down. He stood there as the wind blew his messy hair, which was usually managed by a hat. He took careful notice of the Ahroun's rage, but he knew he could not back down if he was ever to be seen as Alpha by Vin. He took a deep breath before speaking.

"I know my place Feasts on Ashes. My place is here with my pack leading it, whilst Rends the Gar serves his punishment. You are right. There were was no great challenge. I had no want to be Alpha. But I stepped up to fulfill my duty to Gaia, and my pack. Tell me Get. Would I be heralded as Alpha, and shown respect and honor had I challenged my Alpha after he lost the wolf? I would think not."

He paused staring into the Ahroun's fiery eye.

"I am a Ragabash. I am a Shadow Lord. I follow Coyote. My entire life has been an uphill battle. Despite being dismissed, despised, and discouraged I have proven my doubters wrong. Grandfather Thunder has tasked me to redeem my tribe, and I will die before I bring dishonor to his name. You say I am untested. Test me. I need your trust for this mission to the Uktena to succeed. You say words, promises, and agreements mean nothing. If you tire of my talk I will show you my mettle. Name a way I may prove myself and learn who I am."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 21:08

Tell me Get. Would I be heralded as Alpha, and shown respect and honor had I challenged my Alpha after he lost the wolf? I would think not

Feasts on Ashes upon hearing this nods his head once in understanding.

I will die before I bring dishonor

Vin actually smiles and steps back away from Mocks position lowering his head before he finishes the sentence.

"I understand your words and your actions...Kefka Gor--Kefka."

The ahroun looks back up at Mocks, his head still lowered, "You may not be my Alpha, but you are an Alpha. You have my respect. Point out our foes among the Uktena or anywhere else along the way and I will sunder their hearts from their chests...Words half Spoken will be at my side whittling away any resolve they may have had remaining."

Last edited by Zas B'ul on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sat 08 Oct 2016, 23:56

Mocks smiles.

"I am glad to have your respect. Thank you. I want you to know that once Rends the Gar's punishment has been lifted...I intend to make a formal challenge. I do want to do things the way of the wolf. If you are willing I would have you there as witness."

He finds another tree to lean against, and again folds his arms across his chest.

"How did you and your brother come to be in Galveston? You seem to act differently, and have different values than those from Robert's sept that we have come across."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sun 09 Oct 2016, 00:34

Vin nods once. "Good, yes. The proper way things must be done...I will see it."

Feasts on Ashes glanced side long at Mocks, "Words half Spoken may tell it differently, but here is what I can say."
The Fenrir ahroun stretched as he spoke, "Words-half-Spoken and I come from across the deep sea. Our mother was a Manskr named Seeping Fang. She was killed upon Words half Spoken being birthed. The Hov Forseti was a Ulfr Red Talon named Makes No lies. "

Feasts on Ashes smiled, "Words half spoken became true Forseti when he slew his mentor and father-Makes no Lies, for violation of our law in front of the entire sept upon the guilty admitting his wrong acts aloud before all. I defended his actions, but we were both chased away."

Vin scratched at his ear, "We found this sept to be willing to have us. Had I known what we were walking into, we may have continued our journey. Robert is a fool. Many of my tribe refuse to see it. Making peace with those who have and would slay Ulfr does not serve the tribe. The rest of the tribe do not see the danger, or smell the poison from the men of cloth. But I do. Those who still follow the old ways see the danger behind the priests."

The Get of Fenris smiled, licking his lips, "...add to this the growing strength of the weaver under his own protectorate however and many even among the Manskr would see that perhaps he is unfit to lead as Jarl...I have heard rumor that your own son of Fenrir wishes to challenge Robert. Is there truth to this?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sun 09 Oct 2016, 01:11

Mocks listened intently as Vin explained his shared history, discussed the men of the cloth, and of Robert.

"I'm afraid I don't understand. Your brother upheld the litany...Makes No Lies should have perished. Why did they chase you away?"

He grimaced.

"I agree with you when it comes to the men of the cloth. In Washington on the Brazos, on our way here actually, we ran into 3 men of faith. They carried silver weapons, and claimed to be from the True Church. They were Spaniards. Washington on the Brazos was where my pack had destroyed the last of the Weeping Moon, so they were sticking their nose where they shouldn't. They attempted to deceive us by claiming to be from President Houston's agricultural department...but we saw through their lies easily."

He paused thinking.

"And then there was the priest in New Zion... He was following the direction of a spirit named Moronai who believes himself to be a fallen angel of the Christian God."

He took a deep breath and stifled a chuckle.

"Yeah. Rends the Gar doesn't see eye to eye with Robert, and wishes to dethrone him. It's a complicated story, but I'll tell ya best I can. Rends the Gar had a great relationship with Roaring Jack...In fact we all did. He performed the rite to move us all to Fostern."

Mocks paused and unbuttoned his shirt showing Vin where Roaring Jack's name was tattooed on his body.

"Long story short Rends wants to avenge Roaring Jack. Robert bested him by using the God's Nails...which were created by Rend's father. During the moot the God's Nails were in Eldgrimm's forge, as he was helping us find a way to remove their taint. During the confusion of the Revel they were stolen from the forge...Next thing we know Robert has them, challenged Roaring Jack...and well you know the rest"

Mocks buttoned back up his shirt and moved ran a hand through his hair.

"Rends blames himself for Roaring Jack's death. He wants to right that wrong."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sun 09 Oct 2016, 01:56

Upon Mocks initial question, Vin's mouth curls. "We had a history of things riding against us. There was Words half Spoken not being welcomed to the tribe because he was metis, but my forcing it to happen anyway against popular opinion. Also there was when Words half spoken broke a higher ranking septmates spine for insulting him shortly thereafter that resulted in us being hated by the wounded garou's pack and nearly tore the sept apart. All of which were incidents where we were protected by the Forseti Makes no Lies. He had always come to our aid...which made Words half spoke's actions stand out."

At Mocks' information about the pack's run in's with priests and the church, Vin listened intently. "They can not be trusted, nor should they be underestimated. The church may not smell of the wyrm, but they want to kill and destroy our ways just the same-make no mistake. They are our enemy. Your Alpha killing one of them may be just the spark needed to bring their true face to the front."

Upon the prodigals involvement and Rends history with the Fenrir Elder, Vin nodded. Impressed by Mocks tattoo, Feasts on Ashes then sat down on the stone and withdrew a pickle from his side pocket and proceeded to munch on it, as he was told of the feud the pack and Rends specifically had with Robert.

Still eating the pickle, "So- y-u go- -his -unning feud wi'd the Jarl. How do-s tha- fit in yo-r plans to purge your own tribe? Coming to you- rivals protectora-e...seems unwise. What made you chance coming here?"

He swallow the last bite. "Your former alpha is out to claim justice, his father's work, and...now his honor. Maybe Robert would have been wiser to just execute him."

Vin ponders the thought for a moment, "Well, when the time comes, that is going to be a fight to see."

Last edited by Zas B'ul on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sun 09 Oct 2016, 02:19

Mocks walked over near the stone and found a place to sit. He shrugged his shoulder's when asked about how ousting Robert fit in with my plans to purge my own tribe.

"Speaking honestly helping Rends with his feud against Robert does not fit in with my plans to purge my own tribe. Rends is my pack brother though and I will follow where he leads. That is the beauty of our pack. We may not have a goal we want to reach together...but we are all willing to help each other, and give our all so that our personal goals may be achieved."

Mocks took a deep breath trying to figure out how to answer why we came here.

"There were two reasons I suppose that we came here. While we may be feuding with Robert...we are still friends and allies with Eldgrimm. In New Zion we found some strange metal. We had hoped it could be forged into a gate to be used at the Forked Ash caern to further strengthen the King. The other reason is Zoe. I am sure you have heard but she spent much time in the city of Galveston. Someone raised her...but she has no memories of them. We were hoping if we found that person she would remember a little."

Mocks frowned.

"I was surprised myself that Robert did not give the order to execute Rends. It would have made things messy...but it would have been the wiser option. Robert is toying with him, flaunting the power he has, humiliating him. Maybe there is a part of Robert that wants Rends as an ally in the future and that is why he left him alive..."

Mocks trailed off and looked towards Luna, and smiled.

"It will be fight many will want to see I presume."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Sun 09 Oct 2016, 14:20

As Mocks shared his thoughts on what made the pack work, Vin listened quietly; his head looking up at the night sky.
"That is not a pack." He said resolutely when Kefka paused.
"That is family."

As the prodigal member continued to explain why the pack ventured to Galveston, the lupus garou turned his gaze to the direction of Eldgrimm's forge and then to the city.
He waits a moment, considering what he learned before replying, "...maybe the Godi Hears the Song does not remember her past for a reason, maybe the God's think it's best."

In response to Roberts decision to not kill Rends, Feasts on Ashes chuckles...the laugh did not sound pleasant; sounding something like a coughing and wheezing steer that was slowly being trampled to death.

"I am not sure how long you have been around the sons of Fenris, but I can say this. If one wished to have an alliance with another, they would have an alliance or they would be dead from trying. There is no half way middle ground."

Last edited by Zas B'ul on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Mon 10 Oct 2016, 01:21

Mocks smiled bigger than the Lupus had previously seen when he called the pack a family. He shrugs when Vin states it may be better if Hears the Song does not remember her past. Mocks lets out
a low chuckle as Vin finishes speaking.

"I will trust in your greater judgement concerning the sons of Fenris. I try to understand and think alike as I can...but politics and maneuvering are ingrained with me. Perks of being a Shadow Lord...and also the downfall."

He paused.

"Night Claw is a perfect example of that, ruling while the King mourned the loss of his family in Harano. Manipulating the rest of the caern to follow his lead without question...Keeping the bare minimum of Garou around so that even if they wanted to fight back they couldn't. He did what he thought was right by Gaia...he just had no allies and could only protect the caern because of that. He would still be ruling if we hadn't killed him..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Mon 10 Oct 2016, 21:16

Feasts on Ashes sniffs the air for a moment out of ingrained reflex more than anything specific.
When Mocks mentions politics and maneuvering being ingrained, the Get ahroun winces but seems impressed.
"I do not care for the biting drinking bugs. You are strong indeed if you can fight them off from within, in your...weakest form."

As the ragabash reflected upon the tidings of Houston's once-sept, Vin seems to sit up straighter.
When Kefka finished speaking, the lupus is quick to respond.
His words have the ring of certainty.
"This Night Claw-he was good Alpha."

A long moment goes by.

"Bad garou. Strong wolf."

The Fenrir rubs at his nose before adding, "Words-Half-Spoken would not agree because of our law, but he does not see as Modi."

The Lupus seems to ruminate a bit before snorting. "I think he was not your first killing, but first garou to fall at your claw. Yes."

A ice hard expression forms on his face, "It is different-killing garou. Tribe makes no distinction. You take away more than just garou life. You take away future with each claw and bite."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Tue 11 Oct 2016, 00:19

Kefka frowned and was silent for a while before speaking.

"You are wrong."

He stretched out his dominant hand to examine it under Luna's light.

"My claws have tasted Garou, kin, Wyrm, human, beast, and spirit. I killed a Garou in my rite of passage. I don't even know their name... They were a stranger to me. Judge of Doom Drowns his Foes said she was a Mask and to kill her... I followed his command. I crushed her throat under my foot before she finished shifting... It was a dishonorable death."

He sighed.

"It was a kinder death than I gave my father though...."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Tue 11 Oct 2016, 16:05

The Lupus angled his head at Kekfa's initial statement.

Upon the ragabash beginning to further explain himself, a cursory glance at the Ahroun revealed that he had ceased listening to Mocks but the full focus of his attention was drawn to the Shadowlord's extended hand.
The Fenrir ahroun made no attempt to cover his loss of interest until Kefka mentioned crushing the other Garou's throat at which point, Vin let out a loud snort intended to convey his understanding, but resulted in a failed attempt to show that he "had" been paying attention.

However, upon hearing the last few phrases uttered by the Prodigal's ragabash, Feasts on Ashes stood from his seated position still wearing a cold expression.

"män visar inte sitt hjärta tills yxan avslöjar det." Vin says quietly while staring at Mocks.

After a short pause, the Ahroun gave an intense gaze as he explained, "This is words from ancient runestone. It means man does not show heart until axe reveals it"

The Get of Fenris grim features remained unchanged as he continued, "Every wolf must choose to die with honor or not. Only the weak die without honor, and for that we are made better strong."

The ahroun licks his lips as he says, "Some may call you níðingr or one of shame for past deeds, but fight well and you clear all doubt....flee as cowards do and you will not live to see the light of morning. This is the way of things, Son of Thor."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Tue 11 Oct 2016, 23:13

Mocks laughed at Ahroun's threat.

"I ain't ever ran from a fight, and I don't ever intend to."

He paused.

"I don't let my quarry run either. In Akna's realm I was the one who solved the labrynth and led the rest of the Garou to our prize."

He stood up and stretched.

"I didn't mean to bore you with my tales. You simply had shared some of your past, so I wanted to grant you the same courtesy."

He began to walk away.

"Don't forget...we leave at dawn."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   Tue 11 Oct 2016, 23:53

The Ahroun's face broke into a toothed smile as he walked around in a small circle before settling himself back down on the ground.
"Not running from war-yes, this is good. Catching prey-much better."

At the Prodigal pack members justification of his words, the Get of Fenris pawed at the sandy dirt.
"Words must be useful or it is better to remain silent. Do not waste words by courtesy. Soft words make soft wolf."

As Kefka made to leave, Vin quickly reverted to his four legged form as he in acknowledgment of the Shadowlord, spoke in the first tongue, "Our foes tremble."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apex Predator   

Back to top Go down

Apex Predator
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1