|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A tale of two cultures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

A tale of two cultures Empty
PostSubject: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyMon 04 Nov 2013, 13:34

Zas B'ul was curious to see how the turn of events would play out. He had said his piece regarding what ought to be done and his decision had not changed.

The one unforeseen variable however was this Coyote spirit's seemingly crazed desire for confusion. Lots of questions on all sides-no clear paths...just as Scents-The-Lies had told him. The path of the philodox is winding-and murky. Less clear than the ahroun's or the ragabash.

Yet out of all the chaos and drama that was going around on all sides, the biggest enigma was what lay directly in front of him. The newest cliath to be apart of this wandering group. All that was known of him was his name, his auspice, and tribe. Though that certainly spoke much, Zas felt there was much he did not know even when compared to the other newer cliaths.

He watched from a distance as Zoe pulled Mocks the Night away and decided now was good as any to see what Leper-Friend felt like discussing.
"Leper-Friend. I wish to discuss much with you. Will you speak with me?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyMon 04 Nov 2013, 19:11

Eaton turned to Zas, slightly bowing his head in regard,

"Of course! I'm always willing to talk. What do you want to discuss?"

"Oh," he quickly added, "You can call me Eaton. Leper-Friend sounds so . . ." He looked up and twirled his right hand in thought, "formal."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyMon 04 Nov 2013, 19:56

Zas nods in understanding and says, "Very well, Eaton. The topic of discussion is actually you. I feel that we have been busy since you arrived and we only barely know each other's names. What can you tell me about yourself?"

He pauses as he thinks about something and then adds, "I have not spoken much about myself either. I will say that since we have traveled together my auspice has been made known. I also believe that my tribe has been named, however for the sake of fairness and full openness, I will tell some of it again. My name is Zas B'ul. I am apache. I am also called Snowy Owl by white men, for that is what my name means in apache. I am from the silent strider tribe and am a philodox. My people, the Natahay, are far from here. I was brought here to Nacodoches for the land claim, yet since arrival I have found this to be a false claim. I have found that though my reason for coming here was under falseness, Luna has directed me to the beginning of my call of bringing together all the Garou tribes. This is who I am. Who are you?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyMon 04 Nov 2013, 22:53

"Well met, Zas. Let me skip to what you don't already know. You might wanna get comfortable."

Eaton said as he motioned to the ground. He said nothing for moment as he lightly tapped the top of his staff in thought. He turned back to Zas with a smile as he began,  

"Throughout my life, I always felt that I didn't belong. You see, I'm half Comanche, half white; I get my white blood from my dad. Dad was an experienced frontiersman and had regular contact with the Comanche. My momma left her people to be with him. They were young and in love; or that's what they told me, anyway. They were also kinfolk, which led to me being Garou."

Eaton said as he gestured to himself, almost sheepishly. "They traveled from place to place, me in tow. The only thing that was consistent with each of the new places was that we were always treated like pieces of shit. Dad was ripped off, my momma was harassed and I was beaten up. A lot. My parents tried to ignore and avoid it, but I fought back. I fought with plenty of other children and even a few adults. But my damn parents never supported me. I didn't understand why they didn't want me to stand up for myself. They called me mad for using my gift, said it would cause more harm than good, and I just grew more frustrated and angry."      

Eaton clenched his staff with both hands, his knuckles turning white,

I ran away from my parents a few years ago before my first change. They didn't need me and I sure as hell didn't need them. Like my dad, I took to the frontier and became a wanderer. Yet everywhere I went I saw the same thing: people were oppressed based on how I appeared. It was about that time I discovered my true calling."

Eaton's eyes started to narrow, as if trying to suppress his rage.

"I had been traveling with an escaped slave who was heading north to freedom. Some slavers finally caught up with Rob and I, and when I tried get them to see the error of their ways they attacked me. They figured no one would miss a worthless half-breed. I responded by changing for the first time and tearing them to shreds. Luckily for me, my friend was able to escape and I found him later after I, uh, calmed down."      

His eyes widened and he released his left hand from his staff, clenching it into a fist,

"Which, as you may have already guessed, was why the Bone-Gnawers attracted me. I’ve been pushed around, battered, bruised. Members of the other tribes would turn up their prissy noses at a hybrid like me. By the same token, Garou assume, sometimes correctly, that the Bone-Gnawers are lazy, unmotivated, or just plain untalented. The reality is, we just don’t give a shit what you think about us. For some, that means they'll simply roll over and let the Wyrm and its taint spread. I ain't gonna let that happen. I may not fit into this world, but I am sure as hell going to defend it."

Upon his conclusion, Eaton shifted his weight slightly.

"So, that answer your question? I got a few for you, if you don't mind."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyMon 04 Nov 2013, 23:42

Zas makes to sit as Galliards are known for their speeches. As the tale is begun however Zas stands back up readying for a fight. The hairs on his body raise as Eaton mentions that he is Comanche. Eatons tale goes on beyond that point, so Zas cautiously settles down.

As he mentions the treatment of his parents by society Zas nods understandably but says nothing. It is when Eaton mentions his parents telling him not to use his gift that Zas suddenly tenses up. His eyes have a dark fierceness that is somewhat intimidating. He still however says nothing.

As Eaton concludes his tale of meeting with the Bone Gnawers and their acceptance he loosens up...until his last sentence where the Wyrm was allowed to roam free by some. Zas flexes his shoulders and begins to breathe slower breaths intentionally trying to remain calm. He does settle down as Eaton announces his distinction from those others and his devotion to the defense of Gaia.

Zas is at first quiet as he cools his anger at the tale. He only speaks after he is sure he has control of himself. As he does, he nods his head and says, "You have a strong desire to serve Luna. This is good. Though your birth would ordinarily mark us as potential foes in our given native tribes, I am certain that we can and have moved past that. I bear no ill will to your tribe-the bone Gnawers, as you are the first I have met. If you represent that tribe in all aspects, I feel that much can be shared with the rest of the Garou tribes. As for those you spoke of that do not stop the Wyrm- I will reserve judgement for them specifically should we come across them in our travels together."

Zas holds out a hand to shake as he says, "Your answer is well spoken. As for your question, I have nothing to hide. Ask freely."
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 17:04

Eaton took Zas's hand and shook it profusely,

"You're a good listener. I may have my Tribe's blood but not their ideas. I sure don't have any problems with you. Now then,"

Eaton withdrew his hand and began pacing around Zas, not looking at him in the face. He stroked the unkempt hair in his chin as he asked,

"You say you came here for the land. Once you found out it was that spirit, how did you feel, and what made you stay?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 19:09

Zas watches as Eaton paces, trying to discern his reasoning for doing so but draws a blank. He then ponders Eaton's question for awhile, searching within himself for the truthful response.

After a long pause Zas speaks directly and deliberately saying, "I have had no dealings with spirits before. Since arriving here however, I am beginning to see that they can be as challenging to understand as other Garou. I was admittedly frustrated that my journey had been in jest, yet I was not surprised. I had expected that this land claim was some ruse or silly game made by the whiteman with me as the brunt of a joke."

He pauses while trying to choose his words, "I decided to stay however, after seeing that there was an opportunity given to me by Luna's blessing to taking the first steps in uniting the bloodied Garou tribes-which is as I have said, my calling. In my mind and heart, I see the forming of a pack with the others you've met so far, as a means of showing the tribes I come in contact with, that working together for the good of Gaia is possible."

Zas stops himself from saying anything further. After a moment he recomposes his thoughts and continues, "This road to peace, to balance, and to order will be challenging. That I am certain."

Zas says, "I have decided to remain also because I am stubborn when I choose to plant my feet and stand my ground. I have done this here."

He turns to look at Eaton as he says, "Why have you decided to remain? Do you have other questions to ask of me?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 19:45

Noticing Zas's puzzled expression, Eaton stopped walking when the Garou had finished speaking,

"My feet were falling asleep. Anyway, it sounds like we have very similar goals. I see the wars between our native tribes and the raids by the white men as the Wyrm's wretched influence. I know I haven't spent as much time with other Garou as you, but I also want to see this land unified."

Eaton put his chin on top of his staff as he continued,

"As to why I've stuck around? You and I are both wanderers. I went place to place 'cause I didn't belong. They didn't like me, or I didn't like them. Now . . ."

He looked in the direction of the others before turning back to Zas,

"I think I have found my place. If ya don't mind me asking, why were you a loner?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 20:31

Zas chuckles as to his reason for pacing, and nods understandingly. He hears Eaton's mission and says, "You and I will get along well I think."

He listens to Eaton's reasoning for staying around and smiles. Zas then looks up at the night sky and points at it as he says, "The stars are shining tonight. Each one competing to be the brightest in the night. All are outshone by Luna's face, yet each star is in its place. Together they make the vast beauty we see before us. They have found where they are supposed to be. I pray that our journey likewise will keep each of us in the place we are supposed to be. I agree that this is also where you fit."

Zas hears Eaton's questions and is quiet for a long while. He speaks with less authority and with slightly less passion as he says, "It is a tribe thing I suppose. I have always felt better on the move. To me being on the road and going to some place is sometimes better than actually arriving."
He pauses as he says with a mild flash of what passes as fear or concern as he says, "I feel less...burdened, when I travel." He seems to be hiding something, and wants to discuss it, but is unable to bring himself to say it.

He quickly tries to cover it up with, "My tribe has a long history of constantly being on the move and bringing important news to the other tribes. Often times, the news is not good. I don't wish to bore you with all the details...but what I do know is, for some reason or another the wyrm's servants-the vampires, are somehow related to why I like to be on the move. In any case, if I ever find a vampire, I'm suppose to kill it. Not just because the litany tells me to since it's of the Wyrm, but also for my tribe. That said, I have no idea what a vampire looks like, or anything, so if you ever see one, let me know."

Zas scratches his cheek as he says, "But enough about all that, tell me, how did you earn your name? It doesn't make sense to me?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 21:38

Eaton's eyes gleaned as a wide smile appeared on his face, similar to the one that proceeded his tale moments earlier.

"I have just the story: It just so happens slaying a vampire is how I got my name."

Knowing Zas would have problems containing himself, Eaton held up a single finger as he began. "It began when the Bone Gnawer elder, Uncle MacLeod, was content with throwing dust over my head and calling me a tribe member. I wasn't going to accept that; I wanted to prove myself, that I wasn't just joining the tribe for the hell of it. He relented and gave a bunch of stuff to take to to a tiny little place down south and tell him a story after I was done. Still sounded too easy, but hell, it was better than settling for something like Dusty-Fur."

Eaton scratched his head before wiping his hand on his already dirt-coated rags.

"Anyway, the group of people I was delivering my sack to was actually a leper colony. Now, humans avoid them for their reasons. But they are regarded as tainted by some Garou. It was a test to see how I'd react . . . I think. Of course, I didn't have a problem. I wasn't gonna catch it. But during my visit, members of the Texas Rangers showed up and tried to harass them. Claiming they were hiding Mexican spies. Can you believe that?"

Eaton readjusted his stance and shook his head with a frown.

"It turns out there was a Kinfolk living among the lepers. She told me the mission that was supplying them was actually overtaken by vampires. Knowing something foul was going on in that place, the Texas Rangers responded by burning the entire damned thing to the ground. However," Eaton stepped closer to Zas, holding up his finger theatrically, "one escaped."

"The kinfolk, Jana, told me that the rangers were acting funny ever since that day. The lawmen were supposed to protect the settlers, including the lepers, but instead they giving 'em grief. I reassured the folks there that I would see that they were protected. Even though they didn't understand why I was so insistent on helping, I figured I couldn't let servants of the Wyrm anywhere near these people. So, I followed the rangers back to their little Podunk town and received a vision that led me to the town's watering hole. That's when I saw it."

Eaton let his staff drop to the ground as he his hands flew up, outstretched like grasping claws.

"The vampire loomed over me, its mouth filled with twisted fangs. Its legs were stretched behind it, coiling around each other. It's elongated arms flailed as it tried to slash me and pull me under." Eaton bent down low and crouched with both his hands on the ground, still keeping eye-contact with Zas. "I gave into my rage and leapt for its throat, grabbing hold and tearing its flesh. Before I could finish it threw me to the ground and submerged in retreat. It's blood was still dripping from my mouth, and dove after it to finish the monster off."

Eaton's head turned side to side, as if he was looking for something. "Before my eyes could focus the beast lunged forward and bite me." He pointed to right above his left eyebrow, where a freshly healed scar stood out, contrasting with his hair.

"I brought my jaws to its throat one last time, snapping its spine and ending its vile influence." Eaton picked up his staff and stood back on two feet. "Those people were surprised that I risked so much for them; everyone else tries to keep their distance. I actually stayed with them a short time and got to know Jana better."

Eaton's gave Zas a smile as he finished. "Hope that answers your question. Any story behind Zas B'ul?"

Last edited by Eaton on Tue 05 Nov 2013, 23:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyTue 05 Nov 2013, 22:42

Zas was stunned. His jaw was open. "I...I ugh, I have never heard of a cub challenging an elder for the rite of passage. I certainly haven't ever heard of anyone taking on a vampire alone."

He pauses, "You truly earned your name by the sound of things.  If you had not arrived to help the leper people, they may have ended in a much worse place."
Zas walks around the area as he says, "The Wyrm is crafty. It hides behind many faces. You were truly serving Gaia by ridding the area of its servant."

Zas then stops walking and says, "My story is not so bold as yours. I had to solve an issue and right a wrong between friends. That was rather tricky. They weren't exactly my friends. Nor were they natives."

He chuckles, "It was the first time I'd seen a whiteman know fear."

He then says, "I also had to root out a Wyrm foe. The creature was resilient and ignored all my attempts to lure it away from its den. It was surrounded by unknowing and oblivious non-kinfolk. It had gained a place of power. A strong foothold in the firewater saloon. I was able to destroy the creature by causing it so many problems that it couldn't hide its true nature and was forced to face me. That was hard."

Zas then turns his head down. He says with a low voice, "I then had to deliver a message."
He goes quiet. When he speaks again his tone is very melancholy, "That was the hardest of all."

He regains his composure and in a matter-of-fact manner says, "My people summoned aid. They were going to war with the nearby whiteman village. The nearest and most powerful aid was the Caddo tribe. Many days journey. I had to go through Comanche territory, unfamiliar ground, and reach the tribe to deliver the message, by memory-word for word."

His head bowed, he utters slowly, "I do not know how my people faired, for I do not know if the help they asked for was going to come. I gave my message...but it was not good news that I delivered."

Zas keeps his eyes to the ground for awhile and says nothing further.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyWed 06 Nov 2013, 08:05

He looks up eventually and makes eye contact with Eaton as he asks, "How did you know it was a vampire, like did your vision tell you that or did you just figure it out from the vile wyrm's stench that came from it? It did smell like the Wyrm...right?"

He pauses, "I'm sorry. Do you have any further questions?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyWed 06 Nov 2013, 20:15

Eaton tapped his forehead twice,

"I didn't understand my vision at first: I saw the town's watering hole, red as if filled with human blood. I saw what I would soon discover to be the creatures face reflecting in the pool, and I heard the words,
'Drink from the living waters, and and never again thirst.'

It was after I overheard some of the townsfolk talk about how the water was tasting better than before- didn't have to use whiskey to be able to swallow- was when I realized that someone- or something- was poisoning the water, and in turn, their minds. If you ask me, those poor souls were drinking a pool of vampire pi . . .."

Eaton stopped himself for a moment,

" . . .you get the idea. As for its stench, I dunno if it stunk like Wyrm, but it sure as hell tasted like it. Way worse than the shit I've been forced to keep down on the trail."

Noticing Zas's relation of his rite was uncomfortable, Eaton wondered if he really did have any more questions to ask. However, his inquisitive side got the better of him,

"If you don't mind me askin', what was the message? Did have anything to do with the wyrm?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyWed 06 Nov 2013, 21:45

Zas is quiet for awhile. He recalls the message he delivered to the chief of the Caddo tribe Direspirit and to Scents-The-Lies and repeats it, verbatim: "My name is Snowy Owl (Zas B'ul- in apache). I travel here on behalf of Chief Gómez to ask for aid. He makes war on the White man. They have sided with our enemy the Commanche, and seek to force us away from our lands or to destroy us entirely."

Zas stops and says, "That portion was for the chieftain and for the warrior Scents-The-Lies both. All of the pure ones and their kinfolk heard it. I then had private words with the chieftain. These words did deal with the Wyrm directly. These are also the sadder portion of the tale. I will speak some of what I said to him, but other parts I must leave out as they were words promised just to him as well as being too...sad to speak aloud once again."

He takes a few steps around the area as he forms his words. He says, "This is for Chief Direspirit alone: the Wyrm has overtaken our lands. The whiteman brings weapons that we can not meet-firewater that corrupts the peoples minds, guns that shoot beyond the range of our arrows. The Wyrm spreads it's filth across our land by spreading deception and lies uniting and rallying our foes against us. We must leave our ancestral home.
We will defend the La Sangre Garganta caern as long as we can, but without aid, I fear it will fall to the hands of the wyrm's minions, but not before every Garou who draws breath dies defending it. We have not enough Garou to summon for victory nearby. I know that we have not always seen eye to eye on how best to deal with these Wyrmbringers, but I Chief Gomez, Wyrm-Teeth-Breaker and leader of the Natahay ask you now for help."

Zas body is shaking with rage as he finishes the speech. A single tear flows down his face as he says with deep passion and sincerity, "This was the message I brought. This is the news my tribe often carries. I feel that this above all fuels my desire for the Bloodied and bruised Garou tribes to come together. The messages we deliver should not have to be this way."

Zas goes to the nearest tree and stretches his hand out shifting it into a claw as he digs his nails deep into the bark. He scratches his fathers name into the wood.
He then turns to Eaton and says as he shifts his hand back, "I trust that chief Direspirit made a wise choice. I trust in Luna that she will look after her own. I trust in her guidance now. We must unite."

He takes a deep long breath, regaining control of himself and says, "Was your walking stick apart of your story too? I didn't hear you mention it. Were you wounded?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyThu 07 Nov 2013, 19:58

Eaton simply stood stunned for a moment, taking in all Zas had said. Thankfully, it seemed like Zas was willing to change the subject. He looked at his staff and thumped it against the ground,

"I guess I didn't mention it; I sort of think of it as an extension of myself, as stupid as that sounds."

He looked at the top end and continued,

"It lets me see things no one else can;" He began as his eyes widened, "Ya might see a tiny little speck on the horizon," He extended his arm and pointed behind Zas, "I see a farm. You see haze in the east," He pointed behind himself, "I see a towering thunderhead. You see the hobbling mass of an army of whites marching off in the distance, I see . . ." He shrugged and laughed. " . . .a really detailed army of whites off in the distance. Ya get the picture. I may have used it for scouting, but nothin' too exciting.'"    

Eaton picked at the scar above his eye as he said,

"Just this scratch. Looks worse than it was. I still got some ladies to call me badass."

Eaton searched for more questions to ask Zas, but decided he should steer away from the Silent Strider's heartbreaking story. Instead he asked,

"Anything else ya wanna know?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyThu 07 Nov 2013, 20:38

Zas wipes his face and seems to calm down at Eaton's response. He tries to understand Eaton's staff, and seems to grasp a rough idea of its use but he still rubs his head and gives a questioning face. He says, "You see things clearly...this is good. Does it let you see the future? Would you be able to see the best path we take for this Cordova matter?"

Zas suddenly becomes very intrigued as he gazes at the staff.

He then considers other things he would ask and he says "What do you think we need to do in this situation? You have only just arrived. You have new eyes to see things."
Back to top Go down
Eaton

Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyThu 07 Nov 2013, 22:58

Eaton looked at his staff, before looking at Zas with a slightly puzzled expression.

"I wouldn't say I'm a fortune teller, it's more like . . ." He thought for a moment, before tilting his head and looking back at the other Garou,

"Though in a way, I reckon you could think that. What's seein' into the future other than seein' what's to come . . . or go?"

Eaton folded his hands on his staff,

"If you're asking if it's the reason for my visions, then I gonna have to say 'no'. Had 'em long before I found this old thing. Thing is, I usually don't know what they hell they mean until a bit later after I see one. Kinda like finding a key before finding the lock."

Eaton grinned. "Though, even then I gotta find out what the lock looks like. But I figure five pairs of eyes oughta be better than one."    

Eaton's smile disappeared as he changed tone,

"As for this mess? I heard many things about it. I know one thing: I want to hear more. I do believe we should talk to the Chief before we decide anything that could be . . . brash."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures EmptyThu 07 Nov 2013, 23:27

Zas nods slowly in response to all Eaton says. As Eaton speaks of the staff being able to see the future Zas smiles, but as Eaton finishes and explains the distinction with how his visions work, Zas smile fades.

As Eaton mentions the need for further information Zas says, "It is likely best that we do as you say. Knowing more is better. I think however, you have answered my questions for now. Though seeing as this unlikely group of Garou has gathered and most seem to be interested in being a pack, I think having you share what you think will be good for us all."

Zas crosses his arms and looks at Eaton with a relaxed posture as he says, "I would ask that you do not let others prevent you from saying your ideas simply because they dislike aspects of your tribe. Based on what you have told me, your words are just as weighted and equal as all others."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A tale of two cultures   A tale of two cultures Empty

Back to top Go down

A tale of two cultures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: