HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Missing Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kefka

PostSubject: Missing Children   Thu 15 Sep 2016, 01:10

As The Prodigals made their way to Galveston Kefka found his thoughts often returning to Harriet, Jasnah, and Jakob and with these thoughts came a flurry of emotions. Always beginning with joy, ending with sorrow at what may come to pass. One particular night his heart was feeling heavier than normal. He was running low on his liquid distraction so he figured he may as well talk to a packmate who may be experiencing something similar. If he could help them through with their children maybe that would ease his conscious of a future sin. It was Zoe's turn to keep watch and she was sitting by the small came fire. He gave a small smile as he approached her.

"How ya holdin' up Zoe? I know it's your first time bein' away from Agatha and we are going to be gone longer than originally intended... I just want to make sure you are okay. If you want I can use Barthos to get a message to Harriet who could pass it along to Connor. I already let Harriet know we were going to Galveston... but if there were something else you wanted to add it's no problem."

As Kefka talks he takes a seat across the fire from Zoe and looks at her face through the flames.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Thu 15 Sep 2016, 05:55

Lost in her own thoughts Zoe was startled by the Shadow Lord's approach. As he spoke, Zoe's face grew drawn and embarrassed. When his words ceased, silence filled the space between the two for a few long moments.

"The first few days away from home, I missed Agatha terribly and would send spirit after spirit to check in on her, but after a while..."

Zoe did not want to admit that she had not thought of her daughter at all over the past few days. What kind of mother gets so lost in her work that she forgets her own child? Here Mocks was trying to comfort her over a loss that she was not even feeling. Zoe started to tear up.

"After a while...it became nearly unbearable to think about her, I miss her so much," she lied, immediately realizing the foolishness of lying to the group's resident deceiver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Thu 15 Sep 2016, 18:45

Mocks cocked his head to the side and arched an eyebrow at her bold-faced lie. He forced a smile as he thought of a response. He could call her out on her bluff and be an ass, he could pretend to buy her lie and console her, he could lie himself to make her feel better. He took a small drink from his flask as he mulled his options around his brain.

"That's good you miss her. You're a better parent than I was at first."

He paused for dramatic effect.

"When Jasnah was first born I forgot about her quite often during our adventures. I was always focused on what we were doing that my thoughts never turned homeward. It took a lot of time, work, and effort to re-organize my priorities, and now I am the lovable, doting, father figure you see before you."

He gives an earnest smile.

"I'm sure she is doing well though. She was left in good hands."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Thu 15 Sep 2016, 19:17

Zoe swallowed hard at Mocks' pointed compliment.

"I wouldn't say I am a better parent, per se...it's just...just the difference between mothers and fathers I suppose. There's that maternal bond, you know. It's very...unbreakable and strong and..."

The woman threw up her hands in defeat.

"Okay, okay, I'm a terrible mother!" she said loudly, startling a few of the nearby nocturnal critters.

"I've been caught up in our work and I'll be honest, I'm enjoying getting a full night's sleep and not having someone need me all the time!"

"Ugh, I am so awful," she said softly.

"After all that we'd been through as a pack, I figured motherhood would be a breeze, but it's...hard, Mocks! I mean pregnancy was so restrictive for months and then once she was born, I was just as restricted because she needed me constantly. Until our first night away from the caern last week, I hadn't gotten a full-night's sleep in months! Months! I thought it was going to be hard to leave her, but I hate hate hate to admit that after the first day or two, I felt relief to be away. Oh, Gaia, I am the worst mom ever."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Thu 15 Sep 2016, 21:40

Mocks stands up and goes over to Zoe. He sits next to her and puts an arm around her.

"Hey hey hey... I'm not saying that. No one is saying that. Being a parent is something that we all have to discover on our own okay? It's not something that happens overnight. Believe me when I say between the two of us you aren't the worst parent. "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Fri 16 Sep 2016, 21:28

Zoe shook off Mocks' reassuring hand, stood up, and began pacing.

"No. Maybe it's a growing process for a father, but not for a mother. I mean, this child grew inside of me for months and was completely dependent on me for her very life. Mothering is supposed to be natural for a woman, not something you have to get used to. Harriet and Jana and Silke are doing it right, staying home and raising their children the way a mother should. But me? Because I'm Garou, I get to leave my child behind for what? The greater good? To serve Gaia? It would be bad enough if I felt bad about leaving, but this relief it's sickening. A mom is supposed to want to be with her child and care for her and watch her grow up. And I don't not want to be there, but I'm okay with not being there."

Zoe shook her head and stopped walking. "I've seen you with Jasnah and Jakob. You are by far a better parent than I am. Your eyes light up when you see them. You send word back to the caern to let them know we're going to be gone a while. You miss them, the kids and Harriet. No, you are far better than I am."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Fri 16 Sep 2016, 22:39

Mocks stayed seated as he watched Zoe pace around.

"We do have a duty to serve Gaia... For better or worse it's what we have to do. I remember when Jasnah was first born you weren't sure if you should even have children because you knew it you would be out serving Gaia, and not raising them. I'm not sure what had you change your mind, but you had some inclination that because you are Garou... You couldn't be a regular mother."

He paused to stoke the fire and keep lit.

"We can't stop serving Gaia...it's just not possible. I will forever have to leave Harriet, Jasnah, and Jakob behind...knowing that I may never return and see them again. That is why I smile when I am with them. I force myself too becuase they deserve to have happy memories with me. It's why i send messages. They deserve to know if I am not coming home, and where to find my body. I love them with all my heart, don't get me wrong, but much of what I do for them is a from a sense of duty to them. They get so little from me... The last thing I want is for them to remember me without a smile. "

He took his flask and poured it over the open flames cause them to rapidly rage for a moment.

"Look...you, Rends, Eaton, myself... We will never be normal parents, or what wanted from our parents, we just have to do what we can. What Gaia doesn't get...must be given to them. Harriet is a saint too. She has to be mother and father to them when I am gone. If I don't have to come back she'll have to explain that to my Jasnah...and then tell her the sword in my hand when I died belongs to her now and eventually she will use it to serve Gaia, like her father."

He looks at Zoe with sorrow in his eyes.

"It's not going to get easier...ever. You know what we saw with Moronai's help. There is so much to do, much more to be done. Our workload only increases. Our only peace will be death. And yet...we started families. We knew that and we started families. We have to love them. We have to care them. Because we brought them into our world. Our world of suffering. It's a choice to love, it's a choice to miss them. You make yourself think about them, and you love them...because you brought them into a world that you can't prepare them for."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Sat 17 Sep 2016, 21:49

Zoe stands with her mouth agape as Mocks finishes speaking.

"Mocks, I have never heard you speak at length with such sincerity. As much as it pains me to say this, you are absolutely right."

Zoe pauses and stares up at Luna's partially shrouded face.

"My duty first and foremost is to Gaia. She chose me to be Garou and now I serve her to the end in whatever way she deems necessary. As much as I love Connor and Agatha, their needs are secondary to my life call to be Gaia's teeth and claws."

"One way that I serve Gaia is by taking care of my kin and raising my daughter to be a strong kinswoman. With people like Harriet and Jana and Silke around, she will never be lacking in good examples."

"I wanted all of this to come naturally, but I guess it's just like becoming a Garou, we don't figure it all out overnight. We are trained by elders and spirits and learn from one another. I supposed being a parent is the same way. I have to learn from those around me who have some experience."

"Thank you for your words of wisdom."

She smiles down at the Ragabash and takes a seat across the fire from him.

"Of course now I'm struggling with self-loathing thoughts about how I, the all-wise Theurge, am supposed to be giving advice and wisdom to the goofy Ragabash," she said with a laugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Sun 18 Sep 2016, 19:05

Kefka smiled smiled as his packmate sat down.

"Glad to be of service to ya. It ain't often I get called wise. I appreciate it."

Mocks stood up and stretched.

"I don't think I have any wisdom on how to deal with your new trouble."

He chuckled.

"Have a good night Zoe. You know where to find me if you need to talk some more."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Sun 18 Sep 2016, 21:03

Zoe smiled then recalled something Mocks has said earlier.

"Hey, hold on a minute. Earlier you said that I was by far the better parent of the two of us. After knowing what you know now, do you still stand by that?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Sun 18 Sep 2016, 21:55

Mocks stopped in his tracks and let out a sigh.

"Nothing ever gets past you does it, Zoe?"

He walked back over to the fire and sat.

"Here I thought that you were going to let me walk away a hero...ah well. I do still stand by that."

He sighed and looked at burning coals, avoiding the gaze of his packmate.

"It's the Necromantis. There is no telling if there are even any Camazotz left alive... But we do have the fetish which has a connection to making Camazotz. If we knew the ritual to using the fetish, and making a Camazotz I could turn Jakob into one...he's only kin so this will be his best chance at helping the nation in a way even we Garou can't. My tribe wiped out all of the Camazotz. It was an atrocity. Offering my first born son is the least my tribe should do for reparations...but just maybe it would be enough to appease the Necromantis...and bring him back to Gaia's side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 09:13

Zoe blinked once and then again, her mouth agape.  She then closed her lips and nodded once and then again.

“You’re right…that does make you a pretty terrible parent.”

She laughed, but there was no humor in it.

“First things first, just no.  You cannot simply sacrifice your son to appease the Necromantis.  If we can’t bring it back to Gaia, we just do to it like we do to any other spirit that opposes Gaia, we take it out.  I'm sure Rends would be thrilled.  

“Second, I cannot believe that you would come up with some grand plan concerning spirits and rituals without ever talking to me!  This is my area of expertise, Kefka.  Gaia appointed meto be the spiritual leader of this pack.  You cannot make such ridiculous plans concerning spirits without even consulting your Theurge!”

“Third, this is a huge gamble you’re taking!  There are so many unknowns.  Finding an existing Camazotz may be easier than we first thought.  The ritual could go terribly wrong.  The Necromantis may be unimpressed with your gesture or unwilling to abide by our bargain.  Then you’re left standing with a Camazotz for a son and still having to destroy the Necromantis.”

“Fourth, Harriet will not be okay with this plan!  I mean, we just discussed how I am not the best of mothers, but I would never consider sacrificing the life of my child to serve Gaia.  Never.”

“Fifth, you are not responsible for righting the wrongs of your ancestors.  They screwed up. Or maybe they didn’t.  Maybe they had good reason for destroying the Camazotz.  Have you even asked them?  Consult an ancestor and see what they think about you doing such an insane thing.  

The Theurge is fuming at this point and pacing once again.

“No, you cannot turn Jakob, your son, into a Camazotz.  And to think that this is the only way he could serve Gaia is to sell all of our kin terribly short!  My daughter is not Garou. Why don’t you just turn her into a Mokole to make amends with Papa Samba while you’re at it.  Or Harriet.  She’s just a kinfolk.  Turn her into another changing breed and see how Red likes it.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 21:42

Kefka sat in silence staring at Zoe as she spoke. We watched as she got angrier with each passing word. When she finished he opened his flask to take a drink, forgetting that he poured out what little had remained. He cast the flask aside and sighed. He popped his neck before meeting Zoe's eyes. His eyes were cold and dark, and when he spoke his words were harsh.

"Now see Zoe, I've been right twice tonight so how about you sit down , and actually listen to the words coming out of my mouth instead of twisting them. I'm going to try and hit each of your points but you flung them with such fury and I rage I don't know if I can touch on them all before you frenzy."

He takes a deep breath in and out through his nose to calm himself down.

"First of all I never said doing this was the only way Jakob could serve Gaia, I said by doing this he would serve her in a greater capacity than other kin could. The only reason to do this would be to redeem the Bat totem so I would appreciate it if you would leave Harriet, Agatha, any other kin, and the other changing breeds out of this. I am not a maniac wanting to change kin at whim for my own pleasure. I get NO pleasure from these thoughts. This is my son. I understand that. If he undergoes the ritual he would still be my son, and I would care for him just as I do now. His life will not be ended. I'm not killing my son."

He paused and took in a deep breath through his mouth, and let it out shakily. When he spoke he was fighting back tears.

"Unfortunately Harriet has no choice... And neither do I. I serve Gaia, and Grandfather first... I am a parent second. You say it is not my responsibility but you are wrong. Grandfather Thunder placed this task upon me when we arrived at the White Ash sept. We were all present when NightClaw performed the ritual. The Necromantis is my responsibility and I intend to redeem it, by whatever means necessary. We promised it we would find a child of Bat and bring it before him, in return Bat would return to Gaia. If we were to go back on our word and destroy the Necromantis we would complete Bat's fall to the Wyrm, taking away the last light of redemption and hope it has left. Who do you think Bat would then come after hunh? Us."

He sat down across from Zoe staring again at the coals.

"I know it's a huge gamble. I'm not stupid. It's not like I would do the ritual before the Necromantis even agrees to take a newly made child of Bat. Even if he lies to us I think I would notice. I caught you lying easily enough earlier tonight. I don't want it to come to this, I am just trying to plan for the worst. If we can't find a Camazotz...we need a back up plan. We haven't even gone out West yet, so there is no point finding the ritual. If it came down to it I would have come to you first. I trust you as a theurge. I trusted you like a sister too, but you just shot that all to Hell."

Mocks spat to the side and looked at Zoe with grief, and anger in his eyes. He shook his head side to side slowly.

"Just earlier tonight you needed a friend and I was there for you. I listened, comforted, and offered wisdom. Then when I need a friend and you jump down my throat twisting my words, and speaking out of anger."

Mocks stood up to leave for the second time that night.

"If you can't handle my demons fine. Next time mind your own damn business."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 22:22

Zoe's vision blurred on the edge of rage as Mocks attempted to explain his former words. The hurt was evident on the Ragabash's face, but the Theurge couldn't care less. His final thoughts threatened to push her into complete frenzy. She, too, turned to walk away, but stopped to say one last thing before storming off.

"Sometimes a friend's duty is to comfort and encourage. Other times it is to tell them when they are being an absolute fool. I wouldn't expect you to appreciate the latter."

Before he could respond, Zoe shifted into Lupus and began to search out the pack's Alpha.

It did not take her long, and she nearly ran into him as he was making his way back toward camp. She immediately reverted to her breed form, anger emanating from her entire being.

"Do you have any idea what your beta is planning?! He wants to turn his son, who he says is only a kinfolk, into a Camazotz and give him to the Necromantis just to make good on some stupid promise he never should have made in the first place!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 22:34

Caught off guard, Rends' hand was quick to go to Ribcage. He relaxed when he saw it was Zoe, but his face quickly turned in confusion and concern.

"Now holt on a second. What the Hell are you talkin' about?"

He looks over her shoulder back where she'd come from.

"Calm down, Zoe. You look like you caught Connor in bed with another woman. I'm sure whatever Mocks said ain't as bad as all that. Unless he told you he caught Connor in bed with another woman."

He chuckles at his attempt to lighten the mood, until he sees the fire in her eyes. His laugh quickly dies under its heat.

"So... uh... what's this about Jakob?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 22:38

Zoe exhaled in frustration.

"It's what I just told you! Mocks has some fetish that can turn a person into a Camazotz and he's planning to use it on Jakob because he doesn't think we'll be able to find a child of Bat out west! I told him that was stupid and then he got all mad and started yelling so I came to find you, thinking maybe you could talk some sense into that fool. He surely wasn't interested in anything I had to say!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 23:21

The Alpha listened to the story, and Zoe could see the anger growing in his own eyes.

"You mean to tell me he's been planning on using that thing all along? God damnit, I knew we should have buried that thing with Night Claw!"

Without another word, he pushes past Zoe through the brush.

"MOCKS! What's this I hear about scrappin' our plans to go out west? I told you we'd get out there as soon as we've got everything Republic side settled!"

He stomps over to the area where the Theurge and Ragabash had been chatting and glowers down at his Beta.

"That ain't like you to jest give up like that. We ain't even tried yet. Is what Zoe's tellin' me true? You jest done decided to give Jakob to Bat and wash you hands of this?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Mon 19 Sep 2016, 23:49

"Wha? No. I ugh. Dammit Zoe"

It was plainly evident that the Ragabash had been thoroughly caught off guard by his Beta.

"Shit...that ain't what I said. She wasn't paying me a lick of attention. She only heard what she wanted to hear."

Mocks dejectedly sat back down at the fire.

"Sit down and I'll tell you what ain't I told her."

He sighed.

"You got anything in that flask of yours....? I'm dry."

After a couple of moments of silence Mocks started talking.

"I was just explaining to Zoe that she is a better parent than I am...because I will perform the ritual and turn Jakob into a Camazotz if that is what is required. I told her that I was planning for a worst case scenario, and hopefully it won't come to that...I'm jes tryin plan for what to do if we can't find any Camaztoz out West."

Mocks looked up at Rends.

"Grandfather Thunder tasked me with going out West and dealing with the Masks, and he also tasked me with dealing with the Necromantis. I have no choice but to go West. I intend to redeem Bat by whatever means necessary. That's what I told her. She said we can just destroy The Necromantis if we don't find a Camazotz...but I can't abide by that Rends. We made a deal with him... We can't back out."

Mocks visibly forces back tears and steels himself.

"Harriet may never forgive me if it comes down to it...I may never forgive myself...but I serve Gaia and Grandfather Thunder first. I'll do whatever I have to do."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 19:34

Rends looks back and forth between his packmates a couple times before tossing Mocks his flask.

"I'm about out, but have at it. Y'all playin' some kind of joke on me?"

He turns to Zoe.

"What's the problem here? That's more or less been the plan all along."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 19:42

Zoe calmed slightly at this point as she began to hear what Mocks was saying. She raised a confused eyebrow at her alpha.

"What's the problem? The plan all along has been to turn Mocks' kid into another breed? Why is tonight the first time I'm hearing about it?"

She sighed and her demeanor turned from angered toward concerned.

"I just don't see the sense in it. There has to be another way. I don't even like this plan as a last resort."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 20:33

Rends shakes his head, looking confused.

"That ain't the plan at all. The plan is to go out west and find a legitimate child of Bat. We're only making one as a last resort; so if you don't like that plan, you make sure it don't come to that."

He cuts off Zoe's protest with a wave of the hand.

"Look, I can't speak for Mocks, but this is how I see it. They's too much at stake for us to be pulling our punches. Not only did we as a pack promise the Necromantis we'd do everything in our power to help redeem it, but Grandfather Thunder charged Mocks with restoring the honor of his Tribe."

He levels a steady gaze at Zoe.

"Let me be perfectly clear. If Grandfather Thunder hadn't charged Mocks with this, it would have been on my shoulders to make this right as Alpha. Even without that I gave my word to the Necromantis knowing it was going to be nearly impossible, and then I cleared the way for it to escape with my own hands knowing whatever evil it did after would be on me. How tough it is don't have any effect on our duty though. I will do everything in my power to make sure we right this wrong though, and I fully expect each and every one of you to do the same. But Mocks also has a charge directly from his Tribal totem to fix this; so it's ultimately up to him to call the shots and decide how to fix it. If we fail out west and Mocks feels it's his duty to give his son to Bat when we run out of options, then I won't like it but I'll help make that happen. If you can't stomach that we can find another Theurge for the Rite."

He takes his flask back form Mocks and frowns when he realizes it's empty before tucking it away.

"Does that lay your fears to rest?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Tue 20 Sep 2016, 21:00

you make sure it don't come to that.

"How am I supposed to-" The Theurge is cut short by a wave of the alpha's hand.  

restoring the honor of his Tribe.  

"Good luck with that," she mumbles.

Does that lay your fears to rest?

Zoe painfully swallowed her pride as she nodded at the alpha's gracious rebuke.  

"I think I might have blown things out of proportion and misunderstood Mocks' intentions.  I'll do what I can to help find a legitimate child of Bat and spare Kefka from having to transform his own child.  If it comes to that-" she swallowed hard "I will perform the rite as the Theurge of this pack and to stand by my brother through a difficult time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 00:20

Rends' face grows dark with the back talking. Once Zoe's said her piece, he shakes his head.

"Not good enough. It's bad enough we've had to beat most of the Nation into getting their heads out of their asses. I won't have my pack nipping at each other over something that won't even happen if we all jest do our damn jobs."

He raises a hand again, cutting off the objection.

"Ya I know I give Zas shit all the time. But we still work together and have each other's backs. And if he had some mission from Owl you can bet I'd help him make it a reality. And if that mission meant he had to give up the thing he loved most in the world I'd still be there to take the hits for him while he did what he had to instead of cutting his legs out from under him. We're better than that. You're better than that."

He crosses his arms and looks at her expectantly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 05:20

Zoe's eyes grew wide at the sterner reprimand. She threw up her hands in defense.

"I'm sure Mocks is going to do his level best to fulfill his missions, but come on, the Shadow Lords do not have the most honorable reputation, so his task seems nearly impossible is all I'm saying!"

She narrowed her eyes at the alpha, clearly beginning to be angry again.

"I said I'd do what needed to be done, didn't I? I said I'd do my best to find a child of Bat and then perform the damn ritual myself if it came to that. What more do you want?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   Wed 21 Sep 2016, 09:26

Mocks turned to look at Zoe.

"I for one would like an apology."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Missing Children   

Back to top Go down

Missing Children