HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Not to gloat...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Not to gloat...   Mon 18 Jan 2016, 23:33

"You sure we done it right, Zoe?"

"Yes, Rends, stop worrying! Besides, what's the worst that could happen?"

"An Avatar of Great Fenris shows up and eats us both."

"... Good thing we did it right then! But maybe I will go get that bottle of mead for good measure..."

The two Garou sat beside a small pile of shiny trinkets and bright baubles, its self on tip of a small hill overlooking the main Caern grounds. The chanting had finished several minutes ago, but there was no sign yet of the spirit they'd summoned. Night sounds and cricket song rang around them, driving out any quiet before it could settle into the small clearing.

As Zoe got to her feet to fetch the bottle the forest around them suddenly went quiet. But no, it wasn't quiet. The noise around them had died out, but behind and above it a single croaking cry rose up in the distance. Rends got to his feet too, turning with his packmate to the north to face the source of the sound. Louder now, the cry rose again, and with it a sudden gale of icy wind. Rends had to grab his hat to keep from losing it and huffed hard against the frozen air suddenly burning his nose.

Again the caw rang out, and from the dark sky descended a huge black feathered raven; it stood nearly as high as Rends' waist. The wind from its wings beat against Rends as it landed, and he realized the chill air was coming from the bird.  Frost lined its feathers, giving it an aged look. Greedily the bird began pecking at the pile of treasures, inspecting each bauble before quickly tossing it aside with a quick twitch of the beak. It cawed again, and Rends realized it was laughing to its self. The bird completely ignored the Garou as it pecked through the pile.

"Long I listen, long I lay
Hugin patient ever I delay
Awaiting tokens most dear
'Ere I go to meet my host
But thought the Fenrir
What Hugin patient, while he lay
Desires most?"

A gold ring with a large ruby set in it seemed to catch his eye, before he gave an avian snort then shattered the stone on a broken belt buckle with two quick whacks, then tossed it aside.

"In days long past
I took repast
And had my fill
In hollow halls of Dragons vast!
And in Dragons eye ill
Did I make my nest!"

He cackled to himself before spearing a porcellin plate with his beak. Stepping forward, Rends cleared his throat.

"Hugin, thank you fer answerin' our call. I need to send a mess..."

He cut off as the bird turned on him, puffing out its feathers and screaming as it flapped furiously. Frost coated the grass now in flaky sheets, and long thin icicles like needles dripped down the bird's feathers. Rends wasn't sure but he thought there was a red tint to the ice shrouding the bird.

"Mind thy tongue, thou little thing!
Mighty thou art, from blood of king!
But Hugin hungers,
His empty belly yearns.
Now Hugin wonders,
How Rends-the-Gar a favor earns?"

Rends had to force himself to choke down his angry retort and think for a moment. Over to the side, he could see Zoe waving him down as if she'd read his mind. She tapped the side of her head, mouthing the words:

Don't attack! Think!

Rends nodded, considering the savage bird before him.

Alright, so he's hungry. Can I go kill a deer fast enough? Do ravens even eat deer? They's scavengers ain't they? Hell, maybe it wants the mead after all...

He knew he wasn't on the right track, so he looked over at Zoe again for inspiration. She just tapped her head again, emphatically.

Hmm... Hugin...

A thought came to him, and he gave Zoe a conspiratory wink before taking a knee and addressing the Hugin.

"Honored Hugin, I know you's come a long way from the Fatherland to answer my summons. To thank you, please, eat."

With that, Rends removed his hat and bowed his head. With a triumphant cry, Hugin leapt forward and sprang up on Rends' shoulders.

CRACK! CRACK!

With two swift blows of the razor beak, he split Rends skull open and took a beak-full of what lay inside. With a cry Zoe ran over, shoving the spirit away and praying she could heal the grievous wound before her Alpha could bleed out.

Blood drenched his face and shirt already, but after a moment Rends blinked blearily up at Zoe as he rose to his elbows. Even coated in blood Zoe could tell he was pale faced and unsteady after the healing.

"Thanks, Zoe. That was a great ide..."

Before he finished, Zoe punched him square in the nose hard enough to lay down a fresh coat of blood flowing down his chin.

"Next time save him the trouble and use Ribcage if you're going to be that thick headed! Honestly, I don't know about you Ahroun sometimes!"

A throaty laugh rose up, and the Garou turned back to the strange Raven spirit. It was now thrashing on the ground as if having a fit, cackling madly as it threw clumps of frozen dirt all around. Soon enough its conniptions ceased and Hugin rose up to his feet, then gave Rends a deep bow as it flared out its wings and tail feathers.

"Well do they friends do
To have such an ally true.
Hugin will carry thy words
And tell them rightly.
Now to the greatest of Great Fenris' birds
Give thy message, Jarl-blod kindly."

Rends hesitated for a moment, caught off guard by the Raven's sudden shift in tone. Then he reached into a pocket and removed a letter. He held it to Hugin, but it made no move to take it. Hugin only cocked its head at him, staring at Rends with a small, beady eye black as night.

Rends cleared his throat, then began to read the letter aloud. He was proud of the letter; he'd had Mocks the Night help him make it sound all official and nice. His first draft had been much shorter and full of more... colorful language.

"Robert Swift Death, barely a week ago you struck down your Eldest and decried him as a coward for turning his attention to the White Ash rather than on the plains to some desperately desired but unpresent foe. You slew him saying matters on the plains were more important than imagined crisis at home scant miles away from your own Sept. I write to you now with a heavy heart to say that your Eldest was right. In our investigation of the White Ash, the Prodigals have revealed a conspiracy in the court of the King and laid bare the machinations of a Litany violator of the lowest depravity. Luna's Rage burned hot in all here, and thanks to our effort King Rawest Wind has been restored and brought out of Harano and the traitor is soon to be dealt with. The King summons you now, and all your Warpacks. Come to Houston with all haste, and purge the great abode of the Enemy. For too long has the city been allowed to fall deeper into the clutches of the Enemy, and in his hour of need our King calls for the Greatwolves of the North. Come now, with all your packs, and honor the memory of your father. I have carried out his dying wish, will you carry his vision forward or leave that to me as well?

Rends the Gar, Alpha of the Prodigals"

He cleared his throat again, then looked up at Hugin.

"You, uh, you got that? Or you need it one more time?"

Hugin gave a final piercing cry, then leapt up into the air with another icy blast, the icicles breaking off and embedding in the ground and tree trunks behind him.

"I hear! I fly!"

In a sudden blizzard, he rose and shot off like an arrow into the west, his caw soon lost into the night. As the frost around them melted, Rends stood in silent contemplation for a moment before turning to Zoe.

"Well that went well."

A thought seemed to occur to him, and he turned to Zoe in shock.

"Wait, did he say I got a king's blood?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Tue 19 Jan 2016, 05:21

Zoe stood unblinking, a scowl across her face.

"You may have king's blood, but you have a fool's head sometime. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to give a spirit whatever it wants just to get it to cooperate with you, but I digress..."

"If you do have king's blood in you, your father must not have known. I mean, surely a man like Tames the Weaver would have let every one know if he suspected himself to be a part of some royal bloodline."

Zoe shrugged as she collected what was left of the trinkets from the summoning ritual.

"Do you think Robert will actually come? And if so, do you think it will be to help us or to brand us as some sort of cowards or traitors for what happened back at the moot?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Tue 19 Jan 2016, 22:48

Rends stared after Hugin for a moment before wiping the blood off his forehead with a handkerchief.

"Can't say as I know. He'd have to have one Helluva pair to accuse us of treason in the White Ash after all that's happened here though. That or be crazier than an Injun in a suit and tie. Either way it won't end well fer anyone if he does."

Slicking his hair back in place, Rends replaced his well worn Ranger hat.

"We'll jest have to wait and see. I think he'll come, but I cain't make any certain calls. I jest don't know him that well, and it'd be humbling to have to come here at any rate."

He turns back to face Zoe, kicking some of the now broken trinkets out of the way as he idly stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Pa never talked about his past. Anything other than managing the town or killin' Injuns didn't really interest him. Lookin' back I think he was more bitter than anything else, but I don't know why. I'd like to find out more, but I don't even know who he ran with! That bastard's dead and he's still holdin' out on me!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Wed 20 Jan 2016, 08:29

Zoe shook her head slowly and sighed. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Robert. Gaia forbid Robert try to take up arms against the Silver Fang, who would certainly back us up! That would be completely idiotic, but pride can make people do some asinine things."

The Theurge's lips turned up in a conspiring smirk. "This timeline's rendition of your father is dead..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Wed 20 Jan 2016, 08:30

She immediately shook her head at that last thought. "No, no. That's crazy. We could ask an ancestor spirit or any number of spirits about your lineage without going through all that timeline nonsense again."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Wed 20 Jan 2016, 08:37

The Theurge gets an excited glint in her eye. "Wanna try to take care of that now?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Wed 20 Jan 2016, 17:50

An eager glint crossed Rends' eye, but he shook his head after a moment's thought.

"No. At least, not now. We's already got enough on our plates and this ain't anything important. But while you're in the summoning mood, I do need a spirit. Specifically a bear. They's a couple gifts I need to pick up."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   Wed 20 Jan 2016, 18:38

Zoe performed the requisite rite then the two Garou waited in anticipation, hoping this spirit would be a bit less bloodthirsty than the last.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not to gloat...   

Back to top Go down

Not to gloat...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: