HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Moot Point

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kefka

PostSubject: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 00:41

Mocks the Night looks around and lands on Zoey. He takes a deep breath and runs his eyebrows. "Now Red did say that she wasn't keen on ousting Papa Stagecoach, however she is looking for any other option than Chief Bowl. She made that abundantly clear. I'm sorry if you got offended with me exploring the option of the Bear Totem...but I am keeping a clear and open mind in an attempt to serve Gaia best. If that is the bear spirit, so be it. If that is Chief Bowl, so be it. If another option emerges, so be it. We have 2 days to figure this out. There are going to be repurcussions good and bad no matter what we choose. We just have to make sure what we choose to do lines up with Gaia's will. We choose what we want and screw Gaia over...it ain't gonna mean a hill of beans." He is silent for a few moments and looks at the moon before looking back at Zoey. "We might be finding out more insight into Ol Bowl if we be doin a favor for him first. You wanted to check out the spirit trouble in his camp right? Well let's help him out and do it. Red said no at Harriet's, but she also just gave use permission to investigate as we sees fit. Wha do ya say Song? You game for some Umbra action with your three favorite guys, and hat wearing spirit?" Mocks gives Zoey a smirk and holds his hand out for her to shake as a sign of good will. His eyes truly show a yearning to serve Gaia, not ill will towards Papa Stagecoach or Chief Bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 06:24

Zoe takes a deep breath considering all that Mocks has said, appreciating his less forceful tone of voice. She looks up at the moon, eyes pleading for Gaia herself to appear and grant them wisdom, though she knows full well that is simply not her way. Her eyes appear to glaze over as she continues to look desperately at the moon.

After a long and likely uncomfortable silence for the others, Zoe lowers her chin to face Mocks. For the first time since before they entered the caern a smile crosses Zoe's face as she embraces Mocks in a quick hug.

"Thank you, brother, for your ability to look at this situation without bias. I admit that I have a personal and emotional connection to our sept's totem, which is one of the reasons why I wish not to oust him if at all possible."

"As a theurge it is my responsibility to handle the supernatural dealings of our pack - i mean - group here. Some see spirits as simple tools to be used, picking up one here, casting another aside there, but spirits are not like a shovel or a knife that simply bend to the will of their user. They have wills of their own, which is why you must always gain the favor of a spirit before they will assist you. Our cowboy friend here, as helpful as he was during my rite of passage, had every right to leave me high and dry if I had not honored his request for the gaffling feathers I had collected."

"All that to say, Papa Stagecoach, as friendly as he has been to us, is still a free spirit who could cause us harm if we offend him. Alternatively, we do not know, which is why we must investigate, what the bear spirit would require of the sept, were we to invoke his assistance. Perhaps it would be content to simply regain its caern, but in my experience, spirits often ask for more."

Zoe tilts her head to the side, glancing over to the resting stagecoach. A smile crosses her face as she recalls a memory.

"Come to think of it, Papa Stagecoach asked nothing of me in my rite of passage. He and our fine-hatted stranger here, simply swooped in and whisked me out of a pattern spider frenzy, no questions asked. Perhaps that is also part of my fondness for the sept totem. Nevertheless, I will do my best to think rationally on this topic, though Gaia has ordained me to interact with the spirits, so I would appreciate it if you would not simply dismiss my concerns as a petty emotional attachment to a friend."

At Mocks' suggestion to delve into the umbra surrounding Bowl's village, Zoe's eyes widen then narrow into a concerned grimace.

"If we are to earn the chief's favor through perusing the umbra, we must do so according to proper protocol. Bowl's spirit warriors did not harm us the last time we were there, but if we just go sneaking in through the spirit world, I am certain they will be less friendly. And if they are the restless dead that Lune-Stalker had seen, there are likely more than just those three."

"If we ask for Bowl's permission to peruse the spiritual aspects of his camp, he may very well refuse for the sake of preserving any secrets he may have left. However, as a sign of good faith and out of a desperation to save his people, he may agree to let us wander about if we can present a better reason to be there than, 'we just want to make sure you're not some evil monster hell bent on destroying our sept leader and our caern.' I just know that I would rather us four cliath and one spirit not take on the spirits of at least three Uktena garou if we can help it."

"Not because I do not want to oust Papa, which I still don't, but based on what we know, it still might be best to align ourselves with Bowl even if he refuses to let us into his area of the spirit world. Better the one you know than the one you don't, right? We have no idea the spiritual or physical repercussions of a sept totem regime change. It may very well be more than we bargained for."

Zoe finishes and takes a deep breath, letting it out in a long sigh. She looks to each of the three other Garou before her gaze lands on the Laughing Stranger. His appearance was no doubt according to the will of Gaia and would accomplish her plan of asking him to be their pack totem. The trick however would be in convincing these three to form a pack with her.

"I would like to bring up for the third time my suggestion concerning finding a pack totem to help us out. The spirit whom I wished to seek out has found us instead. You have all mentioned at one point or another that like it or not the letters, whether real or falsified, demonstrate that we are all in this together. Though we bicker amongst ourselves, we do work well as a team. Our differences serve to bring balance more than dissension."

"The surveyor suggested that our receipt of these letters was likely a hoax or a mistake, but I do not believe that four Garou of varying tribes, auspices, and strengths would be brought together to a town, where there are existing Garou, all by mistake. No, there is something greater behind this. Something serendipitous. Something intentional."

Zoe looks each Garou intently in the eye, as if peering into each one's spirit. As frustrating as they could be at times, Zoe knew she trusted these men with her life and that without hesitation she would lay hers down for any one of them, even the ragabash. She smiles, her eyes hopeful for a positive response and not more debate.

"What do you say, gentlemen? Would you agree that Gaia has willed us to work together for such a time as this? Will you join me in forming a pack of our own and asking our cowboy friend here to be our guide going forward?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 14:00

Zas is initially ready to jump in and break up what appeared to be a verbal confrontation, but as Mocks finishes and Zoe replies Zas loosens up.

As Zoe finishes her questions towards the group he turns to look at each of them and says, "I agree that we seem to have been brought here for a purpose. Perhaps it is Gaia's will that we be united. I will not refuse her call for unity. Each of you seems to follow the litany and feel strongly of its importance which I respect and admire. With your aid I feel that we all may accomplish much greatness in Luna's name, together. I cannot promise you that I will always make the right choice as a pack member, but I can promise to seek always a just decision."

He looks at the laughing stranger and says, "Though I do not know you, you seem familiar. I do not know why but I trust you."

He pauses before continuing, "Furthermore, as we are all cliath, it would be up to us to decide among ourselves who our alpha should be."
He turns to Rends and says, "I have personally relied on you Rends The Gar for your strength, battle mind and our safety. Your courage and ferocity in our fight with the Wyrm was noticed."
Then he turns to Mocks and says, "I have relied on you Mocks the Night for your keen insight and sharp wit to lead to the best decision. You speak words that are often difficult to hear, but must be said. Your bravery is evident in your speech.
He then turns to hears the Song and says, "I have relied on you Hears the Song for your wisdom and spiritual guidance thus far. You displayed care and protection for me when I was hurt. Your courage is seen through your sacrifice."
He then looks between all of them and says, "I will continue to depend on such traits from each of you. I will ask however, that you each consider me as your alpha should you all decide that being a pack is the right course of action-for though I am a young Philodox Silent Strider and have much to learn, I have learned much already. Should you choose otherwise, I understand. I will not be hurt."
Zas then leans against a tree nearby as the group continues the discussion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 14:43

"Whoa, now! Holt on just one minute!"

Rends the Gar holds up his hands as if to stop a runaway carriage.

"Now I know we done good by everyone so far, but we've only done one job together and we kinda made a mess a' that one. Snowy Owl, you's alright for an Injun, but there ain't no way I'm takin' some Injun for my Alpha. That's jest the way it is. I barely know any of you, and even Kefka here is a relative stranger to me. Especially this here cowboy spirit. No offence, mister, but I don't know you at all and I ain't about to get bound to you or anyone else 'afore I know what I'm getting into. Forming a pack may be an option in the future, but for right now I don't even see how it would help the current problems."

He focuses on Zoe, eyes intense and earnest.

"Even if'n we was to form a pack and get the right kind of spirit to sponsor us, which may take longer than two days, we'd be the only ones who could communicate directly with the totem wouldn't we? You really think Red Oath and the others would be alright with a bunch o' pups leading the charge into the Abyss? I sure as Hell wouldn't, even if I do trust you."

He sighs and scratches at his head.

"We need to focus on Chief Bowl and figurin' what he's up to. Once we know if we can trust him or not we can move on and decide what to do with Totems and all that. 'Sides, we don't even know if'n this here cowboy's willing to be a Totem."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:37

Kefka is stupefied when he is hugged by Hears The Song. He stands there awkwardly with his outstretched hand whilst she finishes speaking. At the mention of becoming a pack he sits down on the ground, crosses his legs, and slowly nods while playing with his beard. He listens to Zas patiently. repeating each word Zas said in his own mind to help him better process the motives and pick up any hidden meanings. He stifles a chuckle at the mention of Zas being Alpha, imagining the reaction our fearless Ahroun would give. When Rends talks it was almost just like he had pictured it. As Rends simmers down Mocks remains seated but speaks all the same.

"Rends my friend...you bring up some excellent points. We really don't know each other. Who among you knows to what tribe I belong?" He looks at the Laughing Stranger, and points a finger at him. "You can't give any hints. As well as the fact that unless Mr. Nice Hat here is willing...we ain't got no totem." Mocks stands up and dusts off his britches. "Now that ain't to say I'm opposed to the idea. What better way to learn about each other then by being in a pack? I think we will be much more efficient if we are in a pack. Someone barking orders and making up plans on the fly. Someone taking the blame when we inevitably screw up..." He trails off looking at the others with a sour expression that turns into a smirk. "Sounds like a grand ole time. Hell, we don't even need a totem to be a pack. We can cross that bridge when we are drowning in a river and have to swim our way to it." He barks out a loud laugh and grins. "In fact I like the idea so much...if y'all be willin to follow...I wouldn't mind takin the blame for whatever trouble blows our way." Mocks the Night crosses his arms across his chest smugly, eagerly looking at the others for their approval...or lack there of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:48

Rends actually laughs out loud and claps mocks on the back with a loud smack, sending the smaller garou stumbling forward.

"Sorry bud, but I don't think yous cut out to lead. But hell if every one else is so eager I don't wanna be left out as the lone wolf. May as well put myself forward to lead too. I think its pretty obvious why I should lead..."

He cracks his knuckles with a grin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 23:21

Zoe listens carefully as the others respond to her suggestion of forming a pack and adopting No-Name as their pack totem. She is visibly surprised when Zas recommends himself as alpha and not at all suprised by Rends' response. She smiles at Mocks' willingness to take the blame as alpha.

"Snowy Owl, though I do not doubt that you have the wisdom and courage to lead our ad hoc group here; like Rends, it is your race that concerns me. I certainly could not care less if you were Mexican, Black, Native, or Asian; unfortunately, as Rends so frequently demonstrates, racism is a very big, very real issue even among Garou. To have a pack of three Whites and one Native led by a Native would draw the wrong kind of attention in Garou society."

Zoe then turns to Mocks the Night and smiles.

"Though I appreciate your willingness to bite the bullet and take the responsibility for the outcome of our next endeavour, I do not believe Gaia has called you to be alpha of this pack either. Your quick tongue and insight are certainly of great value, but I would find it very hard to trust a ragabash in the heat of battle as you all tend to have a difficult time just telling it like it is and not coating it with mocking or trickery."

Zoe finally turns to Rends.

"And you, ahroun, have shown yourself to be foolhardy, rushing into Cordova's island without a plan and disrespecting an elder Garou at a moot. You have shown disdain for your brother Snowy Owl just because his skin is a different color. However, I believe that Gaia has chosen you as the leader of our yet-to-be-made-official pack. In any group working toward a common goal, a leader will naturally rise to the task. This is seen even more so among wolves. You have shown bravery in the face of known and unknown foes. You have demonstrated intelligence in discussing plans and concerns for the future of Gaia. You have done your best to honor the Litany and were quick to agree when it was made known that you overstepped your bounds."

Zoe sighs and shakes her head.

"Though you can be a real pain in the neck at times, I feel that in the heat of battle, your word can be trusted as what is best for the pack and for Gaia. I also believe that you will be willing to hear our opinions on matters where time permits us to discuss before acting. That being said, upon the official creation of this pack, I swear my loyalty to you, Rends the Gar, as pack alpha."

She bows her head to him in deference before turning to Mocks and Zas.

"No offense to you, brothers, as I believe you both to be highly skilled in your respective areas. I simply believe that the Wyld and therefore Gaia has already made Rends the Gar the alpha of this pack long before this discussion ever began. I do hope that you will not think ill of me for pointing out what I believe to be true."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Mon 28 Oct 2013, 23:28

Zas is quiet as the others contribute their vote. As Sylvester and Zoe finishes, Zas steps forward and faces Sylvester head on with a fierceness to his face none of the others had seen yet from Zas and says, "As I said, I am not hurt by others who voted. Any of us here would be suitable in my mind as an alpha.  I would follow any of you. However, if you personally feel that I wouldn't make a good alpha I would ask for a better reason than simply because I'm an Indian. You don't care for my kind, that I see. However, simply deciding to not choose me because of your hatred of my people is not just. If you feel that I am unqualified, give true reason for it. If I have not upheld the litany, speak. If I have not fulfilled the duties laid before me by Luna speak. If I have erred in any decision thus far, speak. If not, take back your claim that following me as alpha would be out of the question!"

He then plants his feet firmly in the ground in an aggressive posture as he continues, "We should investigate Chief Bowl to determine the best coarse of action. That said, I will act as spokesman for this pack on this matter regardless of who is chosen as alpha. Chief Bowl seems to respect me and therefore I am the best chance we have at finding a way to remove any doubts as to how helpful or dangerous he may prove to be."

He takes a breath and then continues, his eyes still focused and trained on Sylvester as he says, "Red Oath would not allow this pack to enter the abyss. That is a realm we are woefully outclassed for. However, our theurge Hears the Song has experience in the umbra and therefore feels the need to try and resolve this matter there. We each have our strengths. The spirit world is Hears the Songs. Yours is in combatting our foes. We have seen you in action. Now it is time to see the theurge. You wish to know us better, this is how it's done."

Zas then turns to Mocks the Night and says, "The position of alpha is not a joke friend. I feel that you could fulfill it. That said, leadership requires determination and consistency. Areas your auspice will have most trouble with. Therefore I too will give my vote to Rends the Gar though his reckless spirit must be tempered with wisdom."

Zas then turns to Zoe and says, "I take no ill will to you. Your decision and reasoning are well made."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 01:25

Rends the Gar holds Snowy Owl's gaze evenly, not backing down. As he and Zoe dress him down his face quickly goes from its normal tan to a furious red. He clenches his hands into big beefy fists at  his side, managing to control his obvious desire to lash out at his would be pack mates.

"Are y'all done?"

He whispers the words, first staring down Snowy Owl then Hears the Song. When neither makes any further comment, he addresses Hears the Song first.

"I don't know where you get off, but you're a Cliath just like the rest of us. Them others"

he motions towards the rest of the Camino Real Sept

"may think it's cute or somethin' lettin' you talk to everyone like you've got an ass made a' gold and shit diamonds, but you're no better than the rest of us. Ya I can make mistakes, and the rebels could have been handled better, but if you talk to me like I'm a pup who pissed on the carpet and you're some wise old grandma again I'll bend you over my knee and tan your hide. I'm all for listenin' to folks, but didn't nobody ever say nothin' about approaching the fort any other way. Ya that's partly my fault, but if you had a problem like you're sayin' now then you shoulda said somethin. That's on you and you alone."

He then turns to Snowy Owl, eyes dangerous.

"And as for you, ya I saw you and didn't like you right away. You ever wonder why? No, you just shut your trap and took it like a beat dog. But I'll tell ya anyhow, since you seem to have found a pair. The night of my first change I saw my baby brother get torn to pieces by a Uketena Garou right in front of me."

His hands are trembling, and he takes a moment to blink away a single tear that has formed in his eye. He doesn't seem to notice it and keeps his eyes locked on Snowy Owl's.

"I grew up out on the frontier of the Injun Territory, out where there ain't no law but what you make. My whole life my paw taught me that being strong is the most important thing there is, but it turned out he was just some heretic with hardly any pack, a dying Caern and no respect for anything but strength. Then Travis died, and then later we lost the town and the Caern to those same Injuns and I realized my Pa was as full of shit as anyone. He was too weak to hold onto what he claimed, and he didn't deserve it. Same goes for your people. You all claim this land is yours and you piss and moan about us 'Wyrm Bringers' stealin' your land. Well tough luck. Maybe your kind just sat around on your asses for too long without fighting anything worth while and lost the Wolf. Maybe you done served your purpose and Gaia's sending someone new who can actually handle the challenges to come. Maybe it's jest bad luck. I don't care. Simple fact is you're losing ground every year and it seems to me even your 'mighty chiefs' like Chief Bowl can only ever ask their betters to pretty please stop it."

Rends spits to the side in disgust.

"You want me to start likin' red folks? Find me some like him"

He points a finger at Snowy Owl.

"Who can stand their ground against Wyrm creatures and actually do somethin' rather than hiding and making bullshit treaties before they bless us with their help! Find me some Injuns like Lune Stalker who actually try to live in the present and don't piss and moan about how things were or should have been! You can't come to me and expect respect. You gotta earn it, and as a whole the Reds are doin' a piss poor job. But I guess we should all look down on me from the moral high ground cuz I don't simper and sympathize with folks who willingly take the scraps that are thrown to them and then cry about how they used to eat steaks. Snowy Owl's better than most I've seen, and since we fought the Rider he's earned some respect in my book, but we've only done one job together and that ain't enough to sway me all the way."

He looks from one to the other, still angry but simmering down. His eyes settle on Hears the Song.

"At least I'm honest. You never have to question what I think of you or anyone else. I got a question for you though. Why is it wrong for me to not want Snowy Owl for Alpha cuz a' his blood, but it's ok for you to discount Mocks the Night for his Auspice?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 06:23

Zoe's eyes fill with rage as she attempts to keep the wolf at bay.  She clenches her fist and her teeth as she takes a few deep breaths through her nose, not backing down from the already angry warrior.

"You want honesty, ahroun?  No, apparently you don't, seeing as how you have threatened to 'tan my hide' the next time I am honest with you about how I feel.  If Mocks the Night believes he is up to the task of pack alpha, I will follow him as faithfully as I would follow any one of you, though as you said, I'm not sure he is cut out for the position of alpha.  Traditionally, ragabash are not alphas and alphas tend to be the biggest and strongest, both of which Mocks is not.  As far as his actions since our first meeting, I see nothing that would discount him from the position, but mock me if you must, he just doesn't give off the alpha vibe."

She turns her gaze back to rends the Gar.

"No matter how you treat me, I cannot help but speak what I think. Yes, the incident at Cordova's was on all our heads equally. I apologize for implying that it was your fault entirely. I am also sorry for what has happened with your brother and I appreciate the respect you are willing to give to Snowy Owl despite your past experience with his kind. Perhaps I could exercise more of Gaia's wisdom in how I interact with you and the others, but I will not hold back my feelings out of fear of offending, as I believe that is something you would despise more than my so-called moral superiority."

Zoe sighs and looks up at the moon, begging for some of Gaia's wisdom at this very moment.

"Nevertheless, I pray that we can get this anger with one another out of our systems so that we can learn to work together as a team. As I have said before, the Wyrm does not want us to work well together, as a pack divided is much more easily overthrown by the forces of darkness.  I apologize for all that I have said to offend any one of you and ask that you forgive me for speaking out of my anger and not wisdom, Rends the Gar."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kefka

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 08:11

Mocks the Night watches as Song and Rends confront each other verbally. He shakes his head and readies himself to hold Song back and locks eyes with Snowy to make sure he is doing the same for Rends. After Song finishes speaking and they are glaring at one another Mocks speaks up. "Are we done fighting... Both of you? I realize we are fearsome bloodthirsty creatures of the night, but for Gaia's sake can we please keep up the facade and act like civilized people?" He spits on the ground. "Hell. We were just at our first moot together where we were shown how to act, to listen, to respect. Or was I imagining things?" He pops his knuckles and his neck and stretches before continuing. "Rends. I like you. You have been a good friend to me, and you are one hell of a fighter...But I will be damned if you think I want you as Alpha, if you won't use your brain. If you can't control your own rage, why should we trust you with our lives?"

Mocks turns and looks at song. "Fight fire with fire and the forest burns faster." He gives her a nod and turns to Snowy. "I apologize if you were offended by my making light of choosing an Alpha, when something is lighter it is easier to hold and see all the angles." He winks at him and then speaks to the group as a whole. "I do not believe there is anyone here right now who is Alpha material. We all have the potential, but we are also very, very young. I realize Alphas are supposed to be the strongest in the pack, and I am not strong of body. However I daresay I am the strongest and quickest of the mind out of us four. I don't make decisions lightly, I consider all options, I pay attention to my surroundings and notice things others do not. I will keep my mind sharp and I aim to be training my body if'n you be willing to help Rends? We have all spoken of our merits and our flaws and I think we perhaps may have exhausted the topic. We don't have to decide right now. We agreed that we need to visit Chief Bowl next so lets do that while we take time to consider any one of us as the Alpha."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 08:51

Zas turns back to Rends and though his his face softened slightly, his eyes are still fierce. "I am truly sorry for the loss of your kin at the hands of my cousins. Their actions were both needless and wrong. That however doesn't answer my question. What have I done to demonstrate to you that I am not at least worthy of consideration for being alpha? I did not attack your family's caern. I was not there. Your reason for not liking my kind is justified, but choosing to use that as justification for why I am not an option is not just."
He pauses as he says, "As for your claim that I didn't oppose your initial attitude towards me, I ask you this...had I responded to you by being defensive or responding to your every insult with the anger you expected, prior to the fight with the Wyrm creature, how would you have reacted? Would you not then have had further reason to hate my kind? My decision to let you shoot your arrows of insults and quivers of hate at me and to let them bounce away on my stony exterior rather than allowing them to embed in my heart and fuel further hate was made intentionally. Deeds speak louder than words. I see no need for Garou to fight Garou when our other enemies are so abundant and plentiful."

While he stares at Rends intently, he speaks to both Zoe and Mocks and says, "Each of you should speak your mind freely. Every Garou voice need be heard especially when deciding to form a pack. Only apologize if you regret what you said or how you said something. Apologizing just to ease another's feelings is meaningless and the words are empty."

He straightens up as he says, "This decision to form a pack or not needs to happen now. If we are not together as one cord then we should know that ahead of time lest we move to do something and those we may have had at our backs to back us up are not there. It is both foolish and dangerous for us to do anything without having firm footing and knowledge of where we stand. The decision to choose an alpha is thus also vital to know presently as an alpha is responsible, good or ill for a packs actions. Before anything else is done, this must be decided upon."

He then says, "Choosing a totem spirit can wait until later. This matter takes priority."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 13:24

The Stranger watches proceedings, his golden eyes regarding the Garou with a mixture of amusement and interest, occasionally taking a drag from his coffin nail. When Hears-the-Song mentions him serving as pack totem, a grin twitches across his lips but he says nothing.

After Zas' ultimatum, he sighed and pointed to the gathered Cliaths with the burning stub.  

"Ok, before you establish some stilted pecking order I gotta throw my hat in the ring. Snowy, having a leader and having unity aren't the same thing. As far as priorities go, I think this whole discussion is a little off track. Way I see it, Mocks-the-Night and Reds-the-Gar are right: you all exhibit some strengths as well as some pretty compelling reasons why you'd all make terrible alphas. I won't list them 'cause you have done that pretty well yourselves; choosing a permanent top dog right this minute seems like jumping the gun." He replaced the coffin nail and after a moment blew a hot stream of smoke up into the cool night air.  

"If anything, rather than choosing after being together for a day, why don't you see who does best when doing what. And I am not just talking about what moon-phase you were born under. Figuring out your next move is more important than trying to figure out what should outrank who. We got Indians and Mexicans and Paleskins all set to try each other, and not just here in Nacogdoches."

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 14:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wtarat.forumotion.com
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 13:53

Rends snarls and punches a nearby tree, shaking the whole thing and leaving a bloody spot on his knuckles. He turns back to Zoe, seeming a little more in control but still angry.

"Ain't you heard one thing I jest said?! Ever since we met you've always talked down to the rest of use like you's somehow better than us fool pups! But from what I gather, you had your first change last out of all of us, and it seems to me like recent years have been pretty kind to you, little Ms. Fancy education! But all your books and spirit stuff don't make you no better than the rest of us, so quit actin' like we're all below you!"

He then rounds on Snowy Owl.

"What do you expect me to say? I know you wasn't the one what killed my brother, I ain't dumb and I already tore that bastard to bits anyhow. I didn't know you so I treated you like I treat every other Injun I don't know. You don't get special treatment until you earn it, and like I said you made a good start with that Wyrm critter. But like I said before, anyone who expects my loyalty's gotta show he's worth it. If you gotta do a little more to earn it, that's jest the way it is and I ain't changin' nothin' for you or nobody else. That's jest the way the world works,and that's the way earning loyalty and trust works. Deal with it."

Lastly, he turns to Mocks the Night.

"Don't start preachin' at me for gettin' angry when I'm gettin' attacked. I didn't even want to have this conversation, but these two forced the issue! Seems stupid to me we're even talking about making an 'unofficial' pack when we already are one and we have bigger problems to deal with, but if we gotta hash this out now then I ain't gettin' left out."

He closes his eyes briefly, calming his nerves. After a moment he opens them again, seeming much more settled. When he speaks again he's staring off at Luna, addressing nobody in particular.

"I know I can be a bit... blunt. That's jest who I am. You don't like it, I'm always up for a fight if you wanna settle it. But like I said, I still don't hardly know any of you, so I ain't gonna sugar coat nothin' till I get a feel for ya. But if we all do like we done last time, I reckon it won't be long afore I'd be proud to call all of you my pack. Until then, don't rush it."

He nods to the Cowboy in agreement.

"That's what I've been tryin' to say all along."

He sighs, rubbing at his scalp in exasperation when he notices the Cowboy's lit cigarette.

"You got another a' those?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 14:02

Zoe regards Zas and Mocks and Rends, having choice words for them all, but after the Stranger speaks, she is silent for a moment before responding.

"Our spirit friend here is right, about me at least. I personally have lost sight of my purpose here which is to fight the Wyrm and all who serve it. I have let my tongue and my anger get the better of me and I apologize for speaking down to any of you. I agree that I am the least of us all and meant never to imply otherwise.  Additionally, I have neglected my responsibility to mediate between our world and the spirit world."

Her eyes display a genuine level of regret and disappointment in herself for her behavior over the past few hours.

"Would you please, as my brothers with whom I freely choose to work, pack or not, permit me to take an hour or so to myself to meditate and seek out Gaia's will for us concerning Chief Bowl and the spirits surrounding his village? I do hope the three of you will continue to discuss this matter in my absence and that what I gain from meditating will simply serve to enhance your plans and not overthrow them. My one desire is to serve Gaia, and at this time, I believe that is best done by serving you, my brothers, in whatever ways I can be of use."

She waits patiently for a response, hoping her honesty shines through and that Rends the Gar does not find some way to twist this into something he feels he should yell at her about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 14:38

Zas stills himself. He looks at Rends the Gar calmly before saying, "You ask to know me better before ruling on judgement. I can respect this reasoning."

Zas then turns to Zoe and says, "I intend to see things through Hears the Song. Your decision to seek wisdom is commendable. I will wait for your return and offer up prayers for Luna to share her wisdom with you."

Zas then stares at the Laughing Stranger and says, "You are correct. Leadership and unity are different. However, unity without direction or purpose is impossible."

Zas looks to the group around him and says, "Perhaps deciding on Alpha can wait as more is revealed to each of us. However, I do still insist that we need to be a pack, If for no other purpose than to remove any doubts we have of being left on our own in unfriendly areas without back up. Knowing that I can rely on the rest of you to aid me as you did during our Wyrm battle is important to me. Let whosoever Luna chooses as alpha be revealed as we go."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 17:40

"Well there's not much point talkin about what to do next without everyone here. Letsall take an hour to cool off."

Rends waves to Mocks.

"Come on. I'm gonna give you some pointers on how ta keep from gettin' kilt."

He and the smaller man walk into the clearing in conversation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 22:36

Zas turns to Zoe and says, "I will have words with Red Oath. I will seek guidance from older more experienced Garou. Then I will return here. This conversation will be resolved at that time. May you find Luna's blessing in your time away."

Zas then heads off to find Red Oath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Tue 29 Oct 2013, 23:10

Zoe watches as the others head their separate ways, leaving her and the Laughing Stranger left standing in the clearing at the caern. She laughs softly to herself as she turns to the mischievous cowboy.

"Now here I thought I was going to be the one leaving, but it seems I've run my entire yet-to-be-pack off all at once." The theurge sighs and shakes her head. "The last twenty-four hours have been a complete whirlwind. I don't know how much you've seen, but we've barely had a chance to catch our breath or think about what is going on around here."

Zoe grows more animated as she summarizes their activities. "Just a few hours after our first meeting we were tracking down Sterne's not-stolen horses, discovering an unannounced Garou chief and his spirit guardians, stumbling into the camp of a likely wyrm-tainted megalomaniac hell bent on destroying Texas, fighting a disgusting wyrm creature, and now talking of ousting totems and adopting new ones and forming packs and alphas and treks into the umbra and the abyss...I haven't had a spare moment to think, much less seek Gaia's wisdom on how to handle it all."

The young cliath grits her teeth and grimaces as she recalls their time on Cordova's island. "How could I have been completely unaware of the presence of wyrm taint in such a place? Should I not be able to sense something like that, seeing as how I am supposedly more attuned to the spirits than the others? Of course I can't let Rends the Gar hear me say that or he'll accuse me of being all high and mighty again." Zoe rolls her eyes.

"In the case of El Gaucho and his steed, their tainted nature was quite obvious, but if Cordova himself has aligned himself with the wyrm, I want to be able to recognize that, so we can deal with such threats appropriately and in a timely manner, instead of just walking off and letting that lowdown, dirty, rotten, good for nothing monster continue to live and plot havoc on this land."

She inhales deeply and releases a long sigh as she runs her fingers through her black curly hair.

"I suppose Gaia and I have much to discuss, specifically concerning the matter of detecting wyrm in our surroundings, since we intend to search Bowl's camp for more of the dark one's minions. It would be nice to see them coming before they were on top of us, as I suspect not all wyrm-infested creatures are as forthcoming with their evilness as the cowboy and rider were."

Zoe sniffs out a quick laugh. "If meditating is simply attempting to commune with the spirits, I suppose that is not really necessary since you yourself are a spirit and I am speaking with you now, huh?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:06

The Laughing Stranger watches the others wander off. "Well, that went better than expected," he muttered, half to Zoe, half to himself before turning toward her. "I do know what happened on that island- I've been keeping pretty close tabs on you, when I can. I do have, uh, a few pokers in the fire, so to speak. But if you are interested in learning how to recognize the Wyrm for what it is, I can help you out. It would certainly be beneficial to me if you could see the evil for what it was."

He used the dying stub of his coffin nail to ignite a fresh smoke. "I know it is hard to believe due to my endless charm, razor wit and rugged good looks, but there are useful things to be gained by communing with all the spirits, rather than just me alone. You might lose your spiritual center if you don't meditate on the mysteries of the natural world, and that goes for the others too. Rends might say that sounds like load of bullshit, but I think it stands to reason; you can't fight on Momma Earth's behalf and not ever listen to her."

Back to top Go down
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:14

Zoe nods excitedly as he informs her of his ability and willingness to teach her to sense the Wyrm. She sniffs out a laugh at his modest description of himself then nods again as he finishes.

"Oh, I most certainly value my meditations. They are rejuvenating even when they do not offer direct instructions concerning what to do next."

Zoe's brow furrows as she considers what to do next, as the others will be back in an hour and she wishes both to meditate and learn more of the Wyrm from their cowboy friend.

"Perhaps you can teach me what you can in the time provided and I will make time to meditate later. Or should I reverse those two priorities?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:34

The Stranger motioned theatrically towards no where in particular. "Then let us get to it. I'll teach you on the other side, be a bit more private."

Zoe produced her pocket watch and within a few moments of concentration she found herself slipping easily into the penumbra. Luna's light shone boldly on the umbral Caern. Away towards the center, she could see Papa Stagecoach astride his magnificent carriage, regaling a small gathering of Gaian forest and animal spirits about a slap-dash escapade he had recently engaged in: "So I said to her, I said, 'I don't care how many chaos monitors you have in your shiny gold-bricker city, I'm commin' on through!' and she didn't like that none, so I grabbed my shotgun-"

The Stranger didn't pay the gregarious Caern spirit any mind, however. "Once you know what you are looking for, it isn't hard to identify slaves of the enemy. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. Wyrm creatures are so corrupt it transcends the five senses, wafting through the spirit world like a plague wind."
Back to top Go down
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:57

Zoe's eyes grow sad as she watches her caern's totem, not wanting him to be ousted by some bear spirit who supposedly ruled this place in times past. But that was a matter for another time. If she could prove Bowl was trustworthy, then she could save Papa's position as their caern spirit.

She turns back to the Stranger. "A smell you say?  Could you be a little more specific? I didn't really sense anything when we were on Cordova's island. And is this something I can only sense in the penumbra or can I sense them in the real world as well?"

Zoe sighs as she regards the Stranger and his calm demeanor.

"I wish I could be as relaxed as you are about all of this, but I feel like I have so much to prove. I am the most recently changed of our sept. My father accomplished much good for the Garou nation and the Iron Riders in particular. I just don't want to disappoint him, the tribe, the sept, or my potential pack mates. What good is a spirit guide who can't even sense the one thing we are all meant to destroy?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Sat 02 Nov 2013, 12:38

"Well, yeah, of course you didn't sense anything on Cordova's island getaway. You never looked at the umbral landscape... which is probably just as well, come to think of it. Ol' Slyvester-Killed-A-Fish would have probably gotten his one-way ticket to Valhalla a few years early..."

"Keep in mind that identifying the Wyrm isn't just a problem for Theurges, Kostas. That's just part of being a Garou. Peek into the umbra around a Wyrm beasty and what'dya see? Tentacles and tumors all over the place. Finding the Wyrm is almost too easy- seems like it got its slithery coils everywhere these days. With this gift it'll just be easier to scent 'em out without looking or stepping sideways."  

"Now, that being the case, you still have to be cautious. Detecting the Wyrm is a sixth sense, but senses have to be honed and they can be fooled. Our enemy just loves tainting individuals simply for the sake of it, so be careful how you choose your foes. After all, chasing down a tainted settler might be all well and good- just make sure there ain't a Black Spiral Dancer pack hiding in the wings laughing their asses off."  

"Anyway, I think that is enough old-timey wisdom from yours truly." The Laughing Stranger withdrew his coffin nail and leaned forward toward Zoe. She didn't know what he was going to do, but with a rapid burst of movement forced the hot butt into her skin, burning the symbol of an eye into her forehead. It hurt slightly, but the sudden aroma of scorched lavender distracted her.

"Alright then, you're all set to see the Destroyer no matter what form it takes." He stamped out the mashed butt and replaced it with a fresh light and he winked at her as he took a long pull. "Enjoy."
Back to top Go down
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   Sat 02 Nov 2013, 17:02

The scent of scorched lavender lingers in the air, as the young theurge closes her eyes and inhales deeply, the various aromas of the forest spirits overwhelming her enhanced senses, filling her with peace and harmony with the Wyld along with the comfort that the area lacks any indication of Wyrm presence.  Upon opening her eyes, she watches the Laughing Stranger as he makes his way across the clearing to Papa Stagecoach and his audience of bemused creature spirits, who seem less-than-impressed with the caern totem’s current tale.  The Stranger’s wild gestures appear to both attest to the truthfulness of Papa’s story and make it even more unbelievable.  

A smirk crosses her face and she releases a sigh as she draws her watch from the pocket of her worn brown pants.  Her reflection looks equally as worn, since her afternoon nap proved quite restless, filled with nightmares of the horrific wyrm beast and his homicidal mare, the yet-to-be-found bane, the blood-thirsty Cordova, and the eerie leper from his camp.  Upon closer inspection of her visage, the cliath noticed that her tired face had been marred – or perhaps enhanced – by the appearance of an eye-shaped mark where the Stranger had seared her skin with his coffin nail.  Her fingers trace the mark, feeling the slightly raised and blistered skin, which she doubted would ever heal, though she would not want it to.  The Stranger had given her a gift and this symbol provided evidence for all who would doubt her.  

Flipping the pocket watch open reveals that an hour has passed since entering the umbra.  Assuming the others would be late returning from their various tasks, Hears-the-Song steps to the edge of the clearing, granting herself a shred of privacy while maintaining sight of the gibbous moon.  Her eyes close to block out any distractions, but Papa’s deep voice carries through the umbral night air with ease.  Certain of the lack of Wyrm in the immediate area, the young wolf walks a few minutes deeper into the woods, staying near the path to allow for a quick return.

A small alcove invites her presence along the eastern edge of the path.  She slowly kneels on the damp, strangely spongy ground, Luna’s light smiling on her through the canopy of the forest.  Hears-the-Song turns her face to the light as she begins her brief meditation.  

Mother Gaia,

I, Zoe Hears-the-Song Kostas, daughter of Tycheros, Iron Rider and Theurge, implore you to hear me as I call out to you this night.  My heart is overwhelmed by the events of the past two days and I am desperate for your guidance.  You have chosen me and my father before me to be Garou and Iron Riders.  Without your help I will never attain to the measure of Garou that was Tycheros Kostas.  As you were with him, I ask you, no, beg you, to be with me.  Teach me what I must know to be a proper child of yours.  Send allies to guide me when I am too dense to hear your leading.  

The first issue on which I request your wisdom is my desire to form a pack with Snowy Owl, Rends the Gar, and Mocks the Night.  I do not believe it simply coincidental that three Garou of different tribes, different auspices, and different territories were all brought together by the same letters to the same town.  Unfortunately, a pack without a purpose is simply a group of wolves with someone in charge who do whatever they will without any guiding principles.  If you desire for us to become a pack, please make your intentions for us clear, so that all decisions can be judged according to how well they fulfill your desire.  

In the matter of the Uktena, Chief Bowls-Over-the-Great-Foe, our sept is divided on whether he can be trusted to lead Red Oath into the Abyss to track the darkness that has made its presence known in our territory.  The others desire to go back to the Chief’s territory to investigate the Wyrm spirits that plague his dreams.  If that is your will for us, give me the wisdom to not only sense the Wyrm, as the Laughing Stranger’s gift now allows me to do, but help me to discern how to handle the darkness.  Let me not be led astray by the inherently deceptive nature of the Destroyer.

Hears-the-Song inhales deeply and releases a sigh of relief as the peace of Gaia washes over her in the knowing that Gaia will not betray them or ever lead them astray.  

Thank you, Mother Gaia, for your wisdom and assurance that you will always be with us. We surrender our lives to your will.

The young woman remains still in the tranquility of the umbral forest, awaiting a response from the spirits, if any will respond, before making her way back to the clearing and into the real world to continue her discussion with her potential pack mates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moot Point   

Back to top Go down

Moot Point
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1