HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Remembering the Fallen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 02:38

Zas was sitting in the small cabin's main room gazing into a small fire burning in the fireplace. He'd been there alone in his thoughts for a good portion of the evening. His concentration broken only when the the pack Ahroun returned to the cabin.

He looked to Rends and waved him over after pulling a chair nearby and gesturing for the Fenrir to sit. He began speaking, "I have a favor to ask of you."

The silent strider reached for his tomahawk and gripped it with both hands, "We're going to fight. Gaia has led our path here for a purpose. The rulers of this caern have forgotten what it means to be Garou. I have no desire to spill more Garou blood-but I cannot let things remain as they are. The leaders here need to be reminded of our true enemies."

He then raises the axe blade and holds it to Rends. "Roaring Jack was a true Garou. He may not be with us in the flesh, but he is here in spirit. I would have him show the rulers what they have forgotten, but I wish to do so in a way that would honor him too."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 14:28

Rends sets his armful of freshly chopped firewood next to the fireplace before throwing a couple of pieces in and joining his packmate in the proferred chair.

"Whatcha got in mind? It were roaring Jacks dying wish ta straighten this caern out and wes all set pretty hard on doing jest that."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 16:45

Zas nods once and looks to the tomahawk, "I feel he could best be honored if his name were inscribed on this blade in the language of your people, so that when the blood of the enemies of Gaia rests upon this weapon-it would be in his name that they fall."

Zas looks to Rends, "Maybe after enough of our enemies have fallen-those who have forgotten what it means to serve Gaia would see his example and do likewise."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 17:09

Rends considers the idea for a moment, then nods his agreement as he stuffs his pipe.

"I'm sure they got some materials we can use fer etching around here somewhere. I'd be glad ta help. I ain't the best with Runes jest yet, but we can put somethin' together to honor him."

Leaning forwards, he grabs a burning stick out of the fire and uses it to lite the pipe. Pensive, he puffs for a moment.

"You ever wonder if... things jest don't happen how they's supposed to?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 17:27

Zas considers the question for a moment as he says, "I think we often hope things will go a certain way, even expect it sometimes, but are shaken when what we hoped for doesn't happen."

Zas adds, "To say that they don't happen as they are intended to seems to say that we have no say in changing our path-that I truly disagree with. When we are on the road and come across a fork in the road; regardless of what way we go, we still make the decision. Dheumatev changed his Gaia given auspice. This is not to say there's no consequences for our choices but the choice is still ours."

Zas looks to Rends, "Why? You feel that things have not happened as they were supposed to?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Sun 25 Oct 2015, 23:30

Rends shakes his head, blowing out a cloud of smoke.

"Nah, I ain't talkin' about our choices. What I'm talkin' about is us makin' all the right choices and everything still goes to Hell."

He pauses for a moment, ordering his thoughts.

"I met Robert Swiftdeath before I met any of y'all. He was the first high ranked Garou I'd met aside from Pa. He sent me on my Rite of Passage to find and bring back Zoe. I was set on the path to join his Sept and probably hook up with one of the packs under him eventually. Then I met Roaring Jack on the way, earned my Name and Tribe. Jack taught me what it is to be Garou; to be a Get. Fighting with Luna's Rage burning hot in yer belly but always the master of it rather than letting it drive you. Even then he knew who I was, who my father was and he accepted me. Set me on the path to honor and family. I know, deep in my gut, if I'd not strayed off the path that day Jack would have survived the day, but I'd never have formed a pack with y'all. I'd be one of those foam mouthed Get clambering fer a fight at any cost regardless of the bigger picture."

He picks up a poker and jabs at the sullen fire, perhaps with more force than is strictly necessary.

"Roaring Jack knew how to give the Get something to focus their Rage on and keep them focused on the enemy. When we killed Akna, we took away his target. He had to have something to keep them focused on, and we took that away because it was the only choice we could make at the time."

He locks eyes with Zas. Rather than anger his eyes are pools of despair and hurt. His next words are a bare whisper.

"We killed Roaring Jack, Zas. We killed him and it was the only thing we could have done. That's what I mean."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Mon 26 Oct 2015, 00:33

Zas turned away from Rends piercing gaze quickly, his grip on the weapon tightening but he says nothing.

He looks to the floor as he says after a long period of silence, "He was dead at our hands before Akna showed her face. When Frostblood fell we took away his likely successor-his heart. When we slew the Phoenix we simply dug his grave. When I failed to intervene in his duel I gave him the final shove."

Zas looks up, his focus on the fire before him and says bitterly "I didn't want to admit to this--instead of facing it I struck out in pain and nearly took another life. Swiftdeath maybe a prideful fool, but his crimes pale in comparison to mine."

The philodox then turns to face the Fenrir, hoisting the axe again, "That's why I feel I must do what I can to make things right. It isn't much, but at this point it's all I can think to do to move forwards. Falling to Harano won't change what's happened, and finding strength even beyond death is the Fenrir way. Inspiring other Garou to fight a war with the wyrm was how he spent his last days-I see no reason not to honor his quest by continuing that. Do you?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Tue 27 Oct 2015, 18:00

Rends nods his head, and the two Garou share a moment of silence.

"I do. I promised Roaring Jack we'd look into things here, and on my honor I keep my word. With Jack dead that means more than ever. Promises made to fallen allies are a sacred thing, and the dead should be honored whenever we fight. I'll scratch up some Runes for you, but in the meantime, this mess with Swiftdeath..."

Rends takes a couple of puffs on his pipe.

"Now I've had some time to think about things, it's more important to me than ever that we make this right. We started the Get on the path they's on now, and it's our responsibility to get them set on the right path again. Fer that to happen, not only does Robert have to die, but he has to die in a formal duel and they can't be a question to the victor's worthiness. I'm gonna challenge him when the time's right, and when I do I'll want you to stand as the judge. I trust you to hold us both accountable and no matter how it ends to see to it the duel's done right. Will that satisfy your honor?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Tue 27 Oct 2015, 18:48

Zas nods in recognition of Rends agreeing to notch in the runes.

As Rends explains his thoughts, Zas gives a grim look and says, "I give you my word-no matter the outcome I would hold you both accountable, but would he accept me as the judge? As you would be the challenger-many of the conditions of the duel would be set by him. I have no qualms about judging that duel as I will be there regardless, but he would need to recognize me as the judge as well."

Zas sighs, "Yes, I would be honored to be involved-if he finds me suitable...assuming he even accepts the challenge."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Tue 27 Oct 2015, 22:44

Rends nods his head, seeming satisfied.

"If I have my way, he won't have a lot of choice. I intend to ruin his credibility first, then once everyone in the Republic knows I've been spittin' in his eye he'll have no choice but to accept a challenge or lose face and get kilt by his own packs. We've already started that with trouncin' the Steel Reavers, we jest gotta keep it up. Escalate it when we can. Shame Robert without dishonoring the packs he sends against us, then I'll challenge him in front of the whole Nation. Even if he doesn't want you as arbiter, I reckon everyone knows you's got a reputation fer bein' fair even to our disadvantage. It may happen whether he likes it or not."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   Tue 27 Oct 2015, 23:06

Zas tilts his head, "We will certainly have to be a particularly painful thorn in his side."

Zas then rubs his chin, "What will happen to the pack though if you die? We are wagering everything on you beating him. I'm not saying you can't-I believe you could, but I also thought Roaring Jack was going to win."

He shrugs, "I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't lose."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remembering the Fallen   

Back to top Go down

Remembering the Fallen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1