|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why not the whole set?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

Why not the whole set? Empty
PostSubject: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyMon 03 Aug 2015, 22:05

Rends the Gar had had a very long day. Between the emotional roller coaster of his various chats with packmates, homestead hunting with Silke and making plans for Houston he was starting to feel tired and drawn out. And on top of it all he'd volunteered to take a watch shift with Ear Killer; the two Ahroun wanted to scout out East and see what they could learn of Igohida movements. That wasn't for a couple hours yet and all Rends wanted to do was have a good supper then take a nap with Silke.

Ya, he was tired, but as he and Silke entered Harriet's saloon with their arms interlinked it was hard for him to remember that. He still felt a little lightheaded from his revelation with Eaton. He was still processing what she represented, piecing it together.

It was early for supper, but the place was filling up fast with farm hands and day workers getting off for the day. The pair split up, Silke heading to the bar to order while Rends searched for a table. He did a lap around, eventually settling on a table across from the bar near the piano. As he sat and took off his hat he noticed a familiar face in the crowd, also apparently looking for a seat. He waved to Zas'Bul, sliding a third chair over.

"Have a seat, Zas, unless you prefer the bartop. I only got one condition: warn me before you start talkin' about anything more serious than the prospects fer deer season or the weather."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyMon 03 Aug 2015, 22:19

The usually somber Garou gave an inquisitive stare but initially said nothing but merely gave a nod as he took the proffered seat.

Zas looked about the room as he says, "I do wonder what the next season holds both in term of game and weather, though from the sound of things-you seem to have had your fill of conversation."

He spots Silke and waves politely and then turns to face Rends as he says with a jest, "She seems to be in good spirits. I take that to mean the two of you disagreed over the home you wish to find and she won the argument...but I could be wrong. Women-like the weather aren't predictable."

He paused briefly as if gauging whether or not to push for information, but decided based on the Alpha's demeanor-when he wished to say more, he would. Instead-he opted for the safer course as he asked, "Are you glad to be back in Nacogdoches?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyMon 03 Aug 2015, 22:31

Rends chuckled.

"Ain't that the truth. I was set on buildin' a new home, but she took a likin' to a couple of the old Injun's houses. I reckon we could fix it up to make a proper home regardless."

Rends looks around the busy bar, taking a deep breath of musty sweaty taproom air.

"Ya. It's home. Strange to say, I never thought I'd find a home out here. You remember the reason I came to town in the first place?"
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyMon 03 Aug 2015, 22:58

Zas looks back at Silke and smiles as he says quietly, "A sunflower in the weeds. You got a good one Rends. I'm glad she has chosen to make use of one of the Cherokee homesteads. I had hoped you might. It would honor Chief Bowles to know at least one good white man will take care of the land."

At the latter question, Zas turns to face Rends and nods, "It was to bring back one of the Urrah-an iron rider girl who had run away-one you later found to be Zoe-right? Yes we all came here for strange reasons."

He tilts his head to the side and says gesturing all around him, "You consider this place-this city, your home?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 13:09

Rends nodds his head.

"Funny how things happen innit? I came up here intent on jest breezing through on my way back to Galveston. Instead I formed a pack with my intended target, a smelly bone gnawer, an injun, and a card sharp whose arm I broke after he cheated me. And then i end up settlin' here and plannin family life."

He smiles as silke joins the men with three beers.

"If that a I nt destiny I don't know what is."

Silke smiles and greets zas.

"On that subject, you and Ms. Ebony seemed to get along famously. Is the wild Indian going to be settling down too?"

Silke smiles playfully as she asks.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 15:13

Zas looks to Rends and says, "I'm certain our roads have followed the same course for a purpose. I'm less certain of what that purpose is. I am glad you feel comfortable here."

At Silkes question, Zas gives a small grin as he says, "We did enjoy each other's company."

His grin then fades as he says with a slight tinge of bitterness, "I don't think me settling down is going to be an option."

He turns to Rends as he says with a serious face, "In your opinion-does a lack of something indicate a good sign? We have been on the road together for awhile and have come across strange things, but things were happening. If things grow quiet-is that good news?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 15:22

Rends let's out a bitter chuckle

"Quiet only happens for two reasons: a storm is on the way or a predator is about to strike. Why do you ask? Things ain't been quiet fer us fer months."

Silke seems like she wants to go back to the subject of ebony, but Rends clears his throat when she opens her mouth. She takes the hint.
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 16:10

Zas considers for a moment, "I do believe you asked me to give you a warning before the topic could get serious."

When Rends didn't get up to leave, Zas continued, "its nothing specific. I just was wondering whether you could be content if nothing happened given how active we've been...or if you needed to personally be in the middle of the fray where the action was happening."

He sighs, "I don't mind being on the move; hunting the wyrm, tracking its servants-- it works well for me. I don't have kin to claim or territory I call home. Others of our pack however-yourself included, now have growing families and the allure of staying close to Nacogdoches to protect your territory may be more potent. That's why I ask."
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 21:27

Rends nods along.

"To tell the truth, I hadn't thought much about it till recently. I reckon some day I'll want to stay here and focus on guardin' the Caern so I can raise a family, but for now they's jest too much to do. Even if I wanted to stay here now, they's too many things out there with our pack in their cross airs to safely leave off. We'd jest be bringin' more danger home with us."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 22:23

Zas nods and asks, "At what point then will it be okay for you to return here to stay?"

The philodox gazes between Rends and Silke as he says, "Let's say everything and everyone we've come across that has been a threat is no longer a threat-and by that I mean we killed it. Would you then be able to return here to guard the caern?"

Zas focuses on Rends, "Going down fighting you've told me is the way of your tribe. As our alpha-the safety of the pack is a priority. You would willingly sacrifice yourself if it meant we could get to safety-I have no doubts in this. You also one day plan to guard the local caern. That being the case, I ask: which to you holds more sway; The call to fight the wyrm wherever it dwells-in it's own territory; down to the last claw and fang, or to defend the sacred places by annihilating any who would dare trespass? Both we are called to do per the litany..."

Zas looks to Silke as he says, "Sylvester is a good man. He will keep you safe. I ask all this to clarify his priorities, and I mean no offense to you or him as you've proven resourceful and able to protect yourself capably and him I trust completely.
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 23:40

Rends is about to reply, but a barmaid drops off three bowls of thick stew and cornbread. Rends takes a few bites, mulling over his answer. Silke takes smaller bites, and takes the opportunity to reply first.

"I'm still learning how everything works with you people, but one thing I've noticed is that you're all very honest. Some of you are subtle, some of you are wolves hiding among sheep, but anyone who looked hard enough would be able to see what you are. I find that very refreshing after being with the people I've been around. I don't know what you're talking about half the time, including now, but that'll come in time. But I will say I don't like the notion of losing you so soon after finding you. And for that reason I'm forbidding any of you from getting yourselves killed. If anyone tries, you just tell them I'll tan their hide if they do."

Rends smiles, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Some things have changed recently. I reckon they's more to life than dyin' in battle. But don't tell any Get I said that..."

He takes a swallow of beer.

"The way I see it the two are one and the same. You can't win if you only ever defend, and you'll wear yourself out if you only ever attack. It's a question of what's needed at a given time. War flows back and forth like the tides, and a warrior's gotta move with the tide or be crushed against the rocks..."

He stops for a moment, then shakes his head.

"Anyhow, right now we're needed on the field. Out among the enemy hunting them. Some day the tide will change and we'll be needed more here at home. But that ain't gonna be fer a while."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2015, 00:20

Zas looks to Silke and says with a playful smile, "I can only promise that we will do our best...most of the time."

At Rends comment about there being more than battle Zas turns and stares in startled bewilderment, "I have to ask. What's wrong?"

As Rends explains his answers, Zas followed along nodding occasionally, munching on the cornbread with a pained look on his face as the taste of the cornbread was not anything like what he'd grown up eating and to him tasted awful even when he tried mixing it with the soup.

When Rends finished speaking Zas says, "I am happy you see life has seasons for things. I am also happy you feel that the litany calls for balance. I feel the same."

He pauses, "Given that we see this issue the same-as an Ahroun who has dealt with them both before-what sort of defense do you think we offer against the dead of Crossroads and the encroaching Igohida? Do we just leave that issue with Red Oath or do you intend to protect your new wife with some other unforeseen defense against those who would cause her harm?
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2015, 23:06

Rends growls, stabbing a piece of potato as if it were one of the restless dead.

"I don't like having enemies at the doorstep. I trust Red Oath and the other Iron Riders here to keep the Caern and all our kinfolk safe, but I'll never rest easy until we've dealt with both groups of Undead. Permanently."

He eats the offending potato, taking his time in chewing it up.

"For now, we's jest gonna have to hope our show of force a few weeks ago will be enough to scare them Ghosties off. Even if they don't stay dead, killing a leader should be enough to put the fear of Gaia in 'em. As fer the Igohida, Earkiller and me is gonna go scoutin' tonight to the East. See what we can learn of 'em, maybe whittle down their numbers a bit. After that, we'll jest have to trust Red and her preparation. If it ever comes to it, you can bet I'll make any kind of undead goonie wish they could die if they lay a finger on my family. I promise you that."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2015, 23:20

Zas shakes his head once, "I do believe that was made quite clear-your resolve that is. I actually have had a couple of ideas I wanted to run past you on this matter."

He leans in closer as he says, "Now, I know our last visit there was not as successful as we would have liked but what if we went to speak with the mokole again regarding the Igohida? Since we bested Chrysaor he may see us as more worthwhile to talk with seeing as how we cleaned up a problem he had in his waters."

He then adds, "And as for the Crossroads issue-since we are likely headed south anyway, what if we went to speak with Malchizadek? He has experience with that particular issue and may have useful information we could use to combat it."

An idea dawns on Zas, "Or perhaps speak with the Silver Fang in Houston. He may also be able to shed light on our problems...who knows, maybe him helping us would be enough to bring him out of his suffering?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2015, 23:37

Rends listens as he finishes the last of his stew, then drains his beer.

"Talkin' to that old lizard will only bring trouble. He's more likely to see what we done as reparations for past sins than as a favor. And if one of Kefka's ancestors helped wipe out his kin they ain't no way he'll work with us now. I reckon we'll have to take care of the Igohida ourselves."

He produces his corncob pipe, lighting it with a sulfur match.

"That said, I reckon Mal might know how to deal with the Legion in Crossroads. He's got experience dealing with Ghosts, and he was friendly enough. Even if he's weird as hell..."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2015, 23:51

Zas purses his finger to his lips as he acknowledges Rends for a moment. "He was certainly different-I'm sure though that many would say the same about us."

He then turns his attention to Silke, "You said that we were honest and easily seen for what we are but we differed from what you were accustomed. Tell me-who or what are you used to?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 00:28

Silke had been quietly listening, soaking in as much information as she could. She hesitated before answering Zas, fidgeting with her hair braid.

"I should be more clear. What I meant is that each and every one of you is dangerous, but that danger is there in the light for all to see. The... things I'm used to... they had ways of hiding it behind a fair face. They'd lure you in with sweet words and whispered promises, then when you were alone they'd take what they wanted."

She unconsciously scoots closer to Rends, who puts an arm around her.

"Looking back I don't know how I survived like that. I got lucky, I suppose. Lucky there were those more taken in by the..."

She leans forward and whispers.

"... Vampires than I was. I knew there was something wrong, but the other around me couldn't or wouldn't see it. And they died off one by one. I thought I was next."

She shivers and leans back again, rubbing her arms. Then she smiles and looks at Rends.

"I thought the monsters were all out to get me. I never realized they could be heroes too."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 01:06

Zas looks at Silke and noticing her uncomfortableness changes the subject by asking, "You think us to be heroes?"

Zas looks to Rends, "Reckless fools is a more apt a description."

He then looks back to Silke, "In your previous travels-you came across monsters...how did you see the monsters for their true nature? Had you read a book? Heard bedtime stories?"

He takes a breath, "I'm asking because I am curious if you can see beyond what we are, and can see through the guise of the wyrm-what else you could have seen and not even known was important."

He gives an inquisitive look, "What did you make of Ebony? Was she dangerous and truthful?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyFri 07 Aug 2015, 00:12

Silke shakes her head slowly, holding her eyes on Zas.

"Not all of you are heroes. You have your own agendas, and I think you wouldn't hesitate to kill everyone in this town if you thought it meant protecting your Litany. That's not heroic."

She squints her eyes just a bit.

"Have you ever been terrified, Zas'Bul? So scared you froze up and couldn't move? So scared that you knew you were going to die and there was nothing you could do about it? Had absolutely no control over your life and could only watch while everything around you burned? I don't think you have. If you had you'd know that fear, and you'd be able to see the way a monster walks is like he's on the prowl. The way he looks at you like you're a slab of meat in the window. Even if it had only lasted a moment you'd know where that fear comes from and you'd do anything in your power to get away from it."

Silent tears stream down her face, and Rends looks unsure. He offers her a handkerchief and gives her a side hug. She wipes her face, looking embarrassed.

"That's how I recognize monsters. And that's almost what I feel around your kind. But with you, at least I can always see you, and the real monsters leave you alone."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? EmptyFri 07 Aug 2015, 08:30

At her comment of the litany, Zas nods once and says, "We each have been born with a sacred calling-to do what no others could. With that calling comes responsibilities that may seem cruel or harsh if viewed from a different perspective, but as you can personally attest...when we slack or fail in our duties-the darkness spreads and monsters reign. We were not made to be heroes-we were made to fight and kill; we do it well."

Zas pushes his soup away after she explains her reasoning and says to Rends, "She brings up a strong point. I'm just as guilty as the rest of the pack in this, but we should try to be more aware of our actions. If she can see what we really are, and we know the witches from Zavala could, we need to be better about protecting the veil."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why not the whole set?   Why not the whole set? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why not the whole set?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: