HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 You Feelin' Okay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: You Feelin' Okay?   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 23:08

Eaton dropped his pencil, flexing his right hand before he cradled it in his left. He decided that was enough writing for now; he had almost finished recording the prodigals latest exploit. He was currently leaning against an old tree some short ways from Nacogdoches proper, enjoying the silence of the moment. Even when he got home the night before he still recounted the tale to his wife and explained just why the werewolves had conducted a raid on their home. Taking the time to himself, he leafed through the past several pages of his journal and skimmed their latest adventure: discovering the strange doings of the will-workers, traveling through separate realms, securing dangerous yet wonderful fetishes, getting run out of Austin- through the whirlwind of action he almost forgot their entire reason for setting out on this journey: Rends the Gar's mission of righteous vengeance to bring his twisted father to justice-one he had most certainly succeeded in. However, through it all his Alpha acted like it was business as usual- not that he expected the Arhoun to burst into tears or anything like that, but what about recounting the tale with ferocious passion? At least acting the least bit excited about achieving his Garou-long goal?

Instead, Rends immediately spoke of getting the fetishes cleansed and heading off the lastest trouble brewing in central Texas. Thinking that this slight respite would be the best time to discuss this sort of thing, he stood up and started heading back to town. Eaton paused; didn't Rends mention he would be scouting out the fields surrounding Nacogdoches to find a suitable lot? With that in mind, the Bone Gnawer scouted the outskirts for any sign of the Alpha. Only a short bit later he realized he could just ask the Stranger where Rends would be found. Confirming the location, Eaton caught site of the Get heading off towards the land once occupied by the Cherokee. He called out his name and ran up to Rends.

"Hey! Now that we've been able to catch a break from our latest quest, I was thinkin' we might have time to talk over the whole thing before we get whisked into our next big adventure."

Eaton drew in a big breath from having caught up with him, and said, "So, whatdidya think of all that? You think it went well? All thing's considered? I'm sure That wasn't anythin' like you expected."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Fri 31 Jul 2015, 13:11

He caught Rends and Silke as they came up on the abandoned Cherokee village. Silke waves in greeting before going on to inspect the first abandoned house, while Rends and eaton tour the land around it.

"Things never go how I expect. I sure as shit weren't plannin on running into another Daniel out there. But I reckon, all things considered, things went pretty Damn well. Except maybe in austin, but we still learned a lot there. Why you askin? Somethin' bothering ya?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Fri 31 Jul 2015, 21:07

"There is somethin' that's sorta gettin' to me 'bout Austin, but we can worry 'bout that in a minute."

Eaton walked alongside Rends, rehearsing the words in his head for a second before he said,

"Now, some of us mighta been messed up by that machine, but each and every one went through some twisted stuff back there involvin' those spirits. You in particular- I guess I just wanna make sure you're doin' okay. I was thinkin' that whatever when on back there woulda hit you the hardest, and I hate the thought of someone I know bein' miserable."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 18:21

Rends looks confused for a moment.

"Miserable? Why would I be miserable? I avenged my family and got to dish out some long overdue violence."

He chuckles, then pauses.

"Then I got to see what could been. What daniel and pa could have been if not fer pa's decisions. We learned pa might have been manipulated. I wonder if they manipulated him into what he done back home..."

Rage flares up, but is quickly surprised behind his eyes.

"It ain't over yet, but we done right. Theys peace in that. Great Fenris guided my hand. And as a bonus, Silke is safe."

He gazes fondly towards the house being inspected by the willful woman.

"We ain't done yet, but I can sleep without the ghosts of my kin haunting my dreams."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 20:47

Eaton smiled back, "I'm glad ta hear that. What that machine revealed to me was a lie but it was still enough to mess with my head. I was considerin' what Omega said-that what we saw when gatherin' the last time spirit might notta been real- but it certainly felt like it. I was thinkin' that mighta brought up some painful stuff. But if it ain't gettin' to ya, that's great to hear."

Eaton paused for a moment, almost avoiding Rend's gaze before he said " . . . and there's somethin' else I was mullin' over. You know back in Austin when Mocks and I were tasked to retrieve James and all? I kinda still got a gut feelin' we . . . kinda screwed up. A lot."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 21:02

Rends cock an eyebrow and crosses his arms.

"I know things got a little hairy, but we done what we set out to and got out alive. You think that's bad?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 21:49

Eaton gave a somewhat grim smile as he answered, "I don't think that's the part that's bad. Considerin' how close Mocks got to joinin' his ancestors, I still thankful he made it out. But just 'cause we got out alive I ain't about to call it a success."

His eyes grow more somber as he says, "I know that James was holed up in the capitol, but the men defenin' it didn't deserve to die. They didn't have a stake in this fight but we didn't hesitate killin' 'em if we had to. They were just don't their duty. They didn't know that the wyrm was twistin' James, but they did know that a pair of assassins broke past their walls. I don't blame 'em at all openin' fire on us."

"I know we got James and purified the tree, but how many bodies are we gonna leave in our wake?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 23:10

Rends just stares at the Galliard for a moment before barking out a laugh.

"That's what yer worried about? Hell in a handbasket, man, what's gotten into you? I thought you had more sense than that!"

He chuckles for a moment longer before continuing.

"You and Mocks did yer duty in fighting the Wyrm where ever it dwells. This time around it happened to be dwellin' around a bunch of soldiers who didn't know better and got in the way. You and Mocks done right in dealin' with them. You said you don't blame 'em fer shootin' ya, well then don't blame yourself fer fightin' back! Sweet Gaia's body, man, you're startin' to sound like one of them bleedin' heart Children of Gaia! We're at war! People gonna die! Anyone defendin' the Wyrm intentionally or not most definitely is exactly the kind of folks who need to die!"

He's dumbfounded, shaking his head and staring at Eaton by the end of his tirade.

"Seriously, what's gotten into you? I sent you with Mocks in case of exactly that situation. You're our second best fighter, and I knew things could get dicey in there and I knew I could count on you to be strong. Has that changed?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 23:27

Taking the hint that the Arhoun wasn't taking him seriously, Eaton narrowed his eyes, "Now I'm quite honored callin' me second best, but I'd prefer to use my talents to avoid escalatin' these sorts of fights needlessly. I'm mad at myself cause I couldn't find a way in time to make sure we got in and out without that messy ruckus. If me or someone I care 'bout is gonna die, you bet sure as hell I'll fight. The question  is, why get ourselves in that situation in the first place?"

Slowing his breaths, Eaton adds, "I'm tryin' to figure out why someone like Jose Miracle and that freak Ford are gettin' a chance to lead an army while we're wanted men. If the Wyrm has more tact than us in dealin' with humans, I say that's a serious problem."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 13:41

Rends nodds, understanding.

"Alright. I see what you mean. Things tend to go easier when we talk em out with the humans. Sure did fer me in austin. But you and mocks didn't go in lookin fer a fight. Things disolced into that. So next time take control of the situation and find another way out if you don't have the stomach to kill."

Silke calls from the back of the house, motioning to the locked up root cellar for inspection. Rends doffs his hat and moves towards the house.

"I ain't worried about what human society says about us. You saw in austin and San Antonio how corrupt their leaders are. Half of em are outright dirty and more than I'd like are under the Wyrms control. I consider it a mark of honor that men like that are scared enough of us to put up a bounty."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 17:48

On one hand, Eaton was relieved that Rends wasn't upset with how the situation with James was handled. On the other hand, he didn't exactly get any reassurance for future engagements. The galliard followed after the alpha as he said, "I ain't concerned that anyone is gonna succeed takin' any one of us in. But havin' our faces displayed like that already gets us off on the wrong foot even when we're tryin' to help! I guess I'm more upset we got a chance to clear are names and got into another mess."

He navigates right in front of his Alpha and looks him in the eye, "Red said after our mission in Natchitoches that we keep brinin' back trouble we're ever we go, and considered relgatin' us to just guardin' the caern. I'd like to think she was half-joking, but I know other packs aren't makin' her say stuff like that. So either their tales are as boring as stale bread or we're sloppy in our exploits. After the last couple engagements, I'm leanin' more towards the latter. Do you think I'm wrong?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:52

Rends locks eyes with the Galliard, stopping in front of him.

"No, you ain't wrong. We've made mistakes and as Alpha it falls on me to correct that. That's why me and Mocks are working out a plan to deal with Houston on the sly. If we do it right, nobody needs to die but Ford, Miracle, and whatever men they've directly corrupted. We've been sloppy in the past, but we ain't makin' the same mistakes twice. We're learning and planning. As far as I'm concerned still having a price on my head is a small price to pay if it means we're finally one step ahead of Miracle and those bitches from Zavala."

He holds the eye contact, anger starting to boil up in his voice.

"Now I know it's frustratin', always feelin' like we're one step behind, but that'll be fixed soon enough. Like I said me and Mocks are workin' on a plan and when we feel it's ready we'll take it to the rest of the pack and discuss it. If that's not enough to put your concerns to rest, challenge me for leadership. Otherwise, get out of my way."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 22:06

Eaton let out a low growl before he replied, "I ain't questionin' your leadership, per se. I'm just wonderin' if you're really considerin' the big picture. Ever since this year has started, even on our "successful" mission things things still ain't right. It ain't necessarily even our fault. We unearth the stuff goin' on in Zavala and now those witches know we're after them. He investigate the strange goin' ons in crossroads and find the unquiet dead lurkin' in our backyward! We try and track down Zoe's folks and now have the Igohida chasin' after families! And we found your dad and took care o' him, and still managed to forge the tools of the apocalypse! And we still don't know who gave him the idea in the first place! Now we're talkin' of a war that's gonna spread across the west! Ever since we killed Akna, everything is still goin' to shit!"

His words were not angry, instead Rends could detect tinges of worry among the frustration. Eaton caught himself as he clapped a hand to his forehead,

"Maybe there's somethin' the matter with me; I'm supposed to be the one ensurin' everyone's in high spirits but . . .It's gettin' harder with each passin' day learning 'bout another way the wyrm is hastein' on the apocalypse. Now more than ever I'm seein' how the the pieces are movin', and each turn it's signallin' darker days."

Trying to keep his voice as flat as possible he adds,
"I didn't want to bring it up before 'cause I thought it'd just bring everyone down. Now, I see it too clearly to ignore. I believe as a pack we need to be considerin' the big picture consequences of our actions, not just ensurin' we get out in as few pieces as possible."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 22:47

Rends' face grows redder and redder, his fists clenched tightly. When Eaton's done, he leans forward to speak directly into Eaton's ear.

"This that you're doin' right now? It's the definition of questioning my leadership. I know things are going to Hell fast. I know the Wyrm is getting a stronger and stronger foothold in this world. I know that the Apocalypse is near and we don't have long to get ready for it. You all elected me Alpha after the Zavala shitstorm because we all knew things needed to change. Well I'm doing my goddamn best but maybe I'm not the problem."

He pokes a big finger into Eaton's chest.

"Maybe you need to pull your head out of your ass and learn to take orders. Maybe you don't need to go and desecrate the bodies of fallen Garou for the sake of getting a fucking souvenir. Maybe you need to stop and wonder why your first inclination was to lie to the Red Talons when we had nothing to hide. Those are not the actions of an honorable Garou."

He punctuates each 'you' with a jab of the finger, voice growing quiet and dangerous.

"I'm doing my level best to lead this pack to the Apocalypse and beyond. I have every intention of leading the Prodigals into the Maw of the Wyrm its self if it means winning the battle. I know what's at stake and what the risks are. I know my calling and I work towards it every day, making myself and all of you stronger while advancing the goals of the Nation. But if we're to win, and I sure as Hell intend to win, I need every one of you to know your place and do your Gaia given duty. You're the damn Galliard, go back and listen to the legends! There's no such thing as a happy ending for Garou! We live, we fight, we die at war! If anything everything going on should just be a clear sign the Wyrm is awakening! And what do you think's gonna happen when it is awake? It'll make everything we've seen so far seem like a mother's embrace. That's what I'm gettin' ready for, and if it means a few unlucky humans get caught in the middle and we flash our asses at the Human law, so be it. But next time you question my leadership, it'd better not be after I gave specific instructions for a mission to be done quietly and discretely and the moment I leave you alone things go to shit. Because then I might start to think that there's another common factor to the botched jobs..."

Rage burns like a fire in Rends eyes and he pokes Eaton's chest again.

"Now. Step aside."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Mon 03 Aug 2015, 00:37

Eaton bared his teeth, his inhale sounding like a snarl, he raised his hand, and knocked Rends hand off his chest. He stared squarely in the eye,

"Your leadership is fine. If all you hear about is how I'm doubtin' you, that's your problem. My point is, many folks are seein' the signs and doin' the best with what they got. I think most Garou- you included- are missin' a key point: Why any of this is occurin'. To say the wyrm is wakin' or always been there ain't enough. Somethin' happened to spread the wyrm's reach all across Texas within our lifetime. With the wyrm stickin' it pawns in positions of power it's now obvious the board is set. This is my thoughts on the matter: unless we figure how or why the Garou nation is in the state its in, we're only gonna be treatin' the symptoms while the infection spreads. That's the big picture."

His voice still an angered growl, he adds, "That's what I thought, as a pack, as Garou, we've been overlookin': How the wyrm works. I have a feelin' its got a damn good idea fightin' us. Maybe it's about time we learned the enemies tactics."

He gives a taunting smile, "You say you plan to lead us to victory. If we don't understand our foe, you'll deliver us to the same place as your heroes of legend: the gullet of the wyrm."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rends the Gar

avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Mon 03 Aug 2015, 19:05

Rends knuckles pop as he clenches his fists. Another angry retort boils up, but he chokes it back suddenly. Silke's voice rings out across the tall grass.

"Sly? This one's no good. There's rats all over and I won't have my babies fighting rats for play. I'm gonna move on to the next one; nevermind the root cellar."

Rends stares after her for a moment, Eaton forgotten. Absentmindedly he mutters to himself.

"Holy shit, I got somethin' to live fer... Nobody's called me that since Ma..."

He shakes his head, stepping back from Eaton with an awkward shuffle. He's quiet for a moment, then nods to himself.

"You're right."

He scruffs at his face, looking at his packmate again.

"You're right. Damnit, I didn't even realize what I was sayin'. What I been sayin' all along. My whole life as a Garou I've been building towards avenging my family. I never really thought I'd survive it, to be really honest. I've hated and hunted Pa for so long I forgot they's other things in life. I never thought I'd get the chance to start a family; let alone raise one. I never thought I'd have packmates with families I'd want to see grow up and help teach..."

He shakes his head, eyes unfocused with the revelation.

"And 'cause of all that, I never gave two spits what happened to the Humans we come across. Hell, or even the other Garou. Damnit Eaton, you're right. We gotta be more careful. I can't raise a family with a price on my head! I can't leave Silke alone like that..."

He shakes his head again, then holds up a hand to shake.

"I'm sorry. I reckon I weren't really listenin' to what you had to say, and that ain't right."


Last edited by Rends the Gar on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 21:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eaton

avatar

Posts : 275
Join date : 2013-10-28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   Mon 03 Aug 2015, 20:53

Eaton's eyes widened with shock from the tonal whiplash, then broke into a smile before he replied, "Hey, I'm glad I finally got through. I dunno if there's too many Get that would listen to the ramblin' of a Bone Gnawer without smackin' him down. Things are different when ya got someone else to care about, and it seems you've got that figured out."

He takes Rend's hand and gives it a firm shake, "So with all this in mind, I can't to hear the finished version of the plan you and Mock's and cookin' up. I'm sure it's gonna be quite somethin'."

He releases Rend's hand and gives a parting nod to his wife. He starts to head back to the town proper and adds, "So I guess I'll let ya get back to your house huntin'. Sorry if ya find more rats. That's probably the fruits of the chiminage for a gift awhile back. See ya 'round!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: You Feelin' Okay?   

Back to top Go down
 
You Feelin' Okay?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: