HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A Different Type of Insight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eaton

PostSubject: A Different Type of Insight   Thu 06 Nov 2014, 20:12

Waking up far later than he wanted to, Eaton nevertheless finally felt rested despite the late night celebration and after-party visions. Still having several hours before Rends had to partake in his battle of wits, the Galliard realized that morning who he could talk to about what he had seen. Walks-with-Spiders had spoken about receiving visions back when they were trying to open the Scorched-Rock Caern. Sure, probably every Garou might have had glimpses into the beyond every great once and awhile but the Theurge did seem to try and beckon them for greater understanding. Maybe at the very least he could vent about the images of death which was all he saw anymore.

Knowing she'd probably be as interested as the other Iron Riders in their new toy, Eaton made his way to the old stable where they had stashed the telegraph for further inspection. To his delight, he spotted the Theurge striding towards the barn, not yet entranced by the mysterious machine. He called out her name as he sped up his pace to catch up with her. Walks with Spiders turned to face him as he put on a wide grin and said,

"First of all, I wanna thank ya for watchin' over Elijah so Jana could celebrate with us. I think she needed to relax just as much as I did, even if she says she's fine all the time."

He paused, but not long enough for her to reply before he added, "The second thing is . . . have ya got a minute?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 13:41

Walks-with-Spiders wore her homid form, that of an aging Indian woman clad in a deerhide dress. Narrow lines of gold and silver tattoos ran from her eyes and mouth down past her jawline, and her grey hair was drawn back in a straggling bun. She smiled at the Bone-Gnawer as he scrambled to catch up to her. "Raising pups I enjoy, no matter if they have two legs or four." A metallic hammering noise escaped the stable but the Theurge seemed not to notice. Her black-brown eyes stared into his, the look unblinking and keen. "You have doubts, share them. I will not bite."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wtarat.forumotion.com
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 16:09

Eaton shuffled his feet so he was standing in the most comfortable posture as he said, "So the second thing is: back when we were tryin' to figure out what to do with Akna, yer packmates said you were seein' visions, somethin' to help us make a decision. Course we were all caught up in the excitement so I didn't get a chance to talk to ya 'bout it then. What did ya end up seein'? Do ya regularly experience visions?"

His voice turned lower almost instinctually as he finished, "I wanna see if other visionaries are seenin' the same unpleasant stuff or somethin's the matter with me."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 04:10

Walks-with-Spiders listened to Eaton with her head cocked. He realized she really seemed fixated on maintaining eye contact as they spoke. "Oilers did not come to the Burned Rock through accident. I dreamt of poisonous heat, Akna's devouring flame. I was shown naked fangs of Fenrir and Red Talons' claws. Dreams of other days are not uncommon among four-legged."

"Though you are two-legged, nothing is 'the matter' with you." The older Theurge let out a raspy sound that bore scant resemblance to laughter.
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:37

Eaton nodded before giving his reply, "Listens-to-Willows was also talkin' about her dreams back then, as well. I kinda figured it was a Theurge thing- I guess I haven't spent much time talkin' to ya'lls type and 'ave been lookin' to change that."

His gaze turned questioning as he asked, "Ya'll are closer to Gaia than I hope to ever be. If wakin' dreams happen more often among your kind, do you know why it ain't as common with us two-legged folk?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 20:43

Walks-with-Spiders shook her head gently. "Dreams, portents, do not belong to one breed or auspice only. Connection to Gaia is the same. Four-legged wolves have a running start, that is all it is."

She liked her lips and gave a small, quick yawn. "You hear better by being quiet. Listen to what our Mother has to say."
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 21:50

Eaton cast his gaze away from Walks-with-Spiders, trying to choose his words carefully. His tone still unsure he asked,"Soooo . . . what we see is 'cause of Gaia herself? Can't there be other things like spirits or a strong drink? Or is that just still part of 'er plan? I've been seein' things long before I knew anythin' about Gaia or bein' a Garou."

His expression showed hints of guilt as he continued, "I . . . don't suppose ya got any advice for quietin' down? I've tried to clear my mind and accept what they tell me but . . . frankly, it's just nasty."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Thu 13 Nov 2014, 00:24

"You are Garou, and you were always Gaia's young. Always. Whether you know it or not, matters not." The woman paced around him, her movements just a little too exaggerated to be graceful.  

"Do you drink liquor or run with unwholesome spirits? No?" She stepped back into his field of view, looking at him earnestly with her dark unblinking eyes. "What reason have you to doubt that the waking dreams are from our Mother?"

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 23:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Thu 13 Nov 2014, 16:58

Eaton let a low, slow breath as he listened to her. Once she asked her question he replied, "Well, I ain't disagreein' there. Kinda thought it was weird that was the tip-off that somethin' was special about me. Is it normal to display some sorta giveaway that yer a Garou?"  

The Bone Gnawer was hesitant to answer her question. He knew of some Garou that would shame him for doubting his gifts were not of the Sacred Mother. He detected no malice in her words so he answered honestly, "I suppose I figured that if they were Gaia given, they wouldn't keep tryin' to depress me. They're always 'bout someone dyin, gettin' mutilated, or tormented. I dunno about other folks, but my momma didn't try to scare or upset me when she taught me what I know. She didn't need to 'cause I've run into plenty of other stuff that ain't easy to deal with."

Eaton's tone had grown harsher as he spoke, but just then he paused, and continued in a lowered voice, "I kinda thought that if any of these visions were her doin', she'd at least be kind enough to give me a little bit of respite.

Last edited by Eaton on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 23:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Thu 13 Nov 2014, 23:25

"Garou are still Garou before the change. Our bodies sicken never, our spirits burn bright. Some though, some display other marks that tell of their wolf-blood. Does that matter now to you still?" He could smell her; it was an odd aroma, and Eaton imagined the only way to recreate it faithfully would be to over-iron an old sheep dog.  

"Your questions beg more questions, Friend of Lepers." A smile forced its way across Walks-with-Spider's deceptively human face, and again she stalked around him in a circle, this time close enough to brush against him. "Why should the dreams care about the dreamer, rat-child?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Fri 14 Nov 2014, 01:41

Eaton stared at the ground as he considered her words. His insights usually related to the task or situation at hand, hadn't they? But Walks-with-Spiders suggested that his assumptions about his visions were false- He might not play any sort of role in what he sees. That in mind, he said, "I . . . guess they don't have to. But sometimes I saw things just by askin' a question or tryin' to get a hint to make sense o' a problem. I guess I wanted to believe I had a sorta control over them . . ."

Ever so slightly frustrated he didn't feel as if he was getting any closer to what he wanted to know, he turned to her and said, "Is this what ya meant by bein' quiet? A man can't decide what he dreams, and here I was thinkin' I could."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Fri 14 Nov 2014, 21:41

"To be quiet is to be quiet. Voice, feet... mind... all can get too loud sometimes," said Walks-with-Spiders with another raspy laugh before she grew solemn. "I think your mind is very loud indeed."

"Maybe yes, you can guide the dreams. Maybe not, though. The spirits work in mysterious ways." The older werewolf steepled her fingers and looked at them, mercifully breaking eye contact for a few seconds as she appeared to analyze the sensation. "Sometimes four-legged visions are Gaia's screams, rat-child. If what you see hurts you, remember that a pained wolf does not care who it bites."

The Theurge licked her lips a couple of times, her grey-purple tongue curling out one corner of her mouth, then the other. "Now, though, I feel that Iron-Wind would say I was 'shooting in the dark.' Tell me of what you see, Gibbous Moon. Tell me what preys upon your mind that makes you asks these things."

Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 16 Nov 2014, 14:27

Eaton shrugged. "Alright. Here are some of what I see when I call upon my gift of sight to try and figure out what's goin' on." He matched Walks-with-Spiders stare as the same images he saw over the past year filled her mind:

A gathering of black-hearted Garou in a southern field, their blasphemous whines and snarls desperate and insistent. A young girl in agony, sinking down into a lake of molten metal. Warped by malign spirits, men and women took on the shapes of bloody lupine monsters, their skin flensed and torn in mockery of Gaia's children. A man brutally knifed in the dark by a Garou assassin amid the frenzied cries of a Whippoorwill. Searing unseen heat, the invisible venom of a degenerate firebird.

Finally, unbidden images of the leviathan Storm Eater rose in his mind. The faceless whirling maelstrom wriggled and swam towards him, and Eaton could feel the great beast's raw destructive impulse stirring under the weight of its unthinking madness as it bored straight out of the depths of the umbra and up into-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Mon 17 Nov 2014, 16:14

Eaton was jolted from his vision as Walks-with-Spiders slammed her open palm into his forehead. He stumbled back a step, and looked at the Theurge, and her face was clouded with concern and fear. She sat down on the ground, and did not look back up at the Bone Gnawer.

"You have the sight yes, and you see torment and death, true... but this seems not like the pains the Mother suffers." Deep old eyes rolled up to stare in his direction. "This is something else. Something else."

"Gifted you might be, but dreams can be... twisted or broken. Tell me, rat-child, you often dream of the Wyrm?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Mon 17 Nov 2014, 21:44

Eaton put a hand to his temple, still reeling from what he had seen. He hadn't inquired that time, he was merely recounting- Perhaps that was an unkind reminder that he wasn't in control of his visions at all. Focusing on her question, he answered, "If what I'm gettin' ain't of Gaia, then I guess the answer's gonna be 'all the time'. I don't even remember when I last saw somethin' that wasn't . . ."

His voice paused before he grimaced,"I take it this is a bad thing."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Tue 18 Nov 2014, 16:16

Walks-with-Spiders drew into a crouch, as if suddenly weary. "All things have purpose. But we must find where fit your visions in the pattern." Her voice was a murmur as she bowed her head, resting it on her knees for a moment, choosing her next words.

"You say the sight began when you were a whelp. Spirits can sense the true form no matter how many legs you possess. Fetches-of-Kin are a common such being, but others, more malignant and strange, can be drawn to those with potential, those prone to waking dreams."

The old Iron Rider twisted her head to the side to look up at Eaton. "Truthfully answer: have you bartered with any spirits that might darken your thoughts if you allowed it?"
Back to top Go down
Eaton

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Tue 18 Nov 2014, 23:14

Eaton thought hard, scanning his brain trying to dredge up anything relevant. Since his first change? He hadn't bartered with any such spirit, at least not without his packmates. They surely would have noticed if something strange had been going on. Sure, some would probably say eating Akna wasn't exactly the best fix now that he knew of the Wyrm's influences. But these visions were seen long before that. He tried to think: Anything that was out of the ordinary even if the didn't know of the Garou? Nothing. And even then, he certainly wouldn't have allowed it to shape his mind! After deciding nothing really stood out, he shook his head and answered, "To the best I know? Never done anythin' like that. My folks weren't Garou, and didn't even know of any! I don't think would've been hangin' out with any spirits, either."

Though in a sudden realization, he added, "Course, that could'a meant they weren't able to protect me from somethin', either . . ."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Laughing Stranger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   Sun 23 Nov 2014, 16:14

Walks-with-Spider's studied Eaton intently as he answered. "You speak true. These things may not come from an enemy source. When I first changed, deep I wandered into the umbra. My paws became feet as I touched the web of the one they call Weaver. I saw and smelled many strange things, visions gifted me by the Great Spider. They were not pleasant, yet I will treasure them always."

"If these visions you see, if they are used by you to aid Gaia, then so be it. Though it may sound as folly to one such as you, sit still, listen." The Lupus-woman stood and smiled at Eaton, her teeth hidden as she mimicked human warmth with a surprising degree of skill.

"Evil must be seen to be fought. You just see it coming earlier than some."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Different Type of Insight   

Back to top Go down

A Different Type of Insight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1