|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Justice Always Hungers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

Justice Always Hungers Empty
PostSubject: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyMon 09 Sep 2013, 22:58

Night had well and truly fallen. The Trinity River sang past, its lyrical notes intertwining with the music of early spring crickets. Scents-The-Lies drew his eyes away from the dark fast river and let them fall on the young Garou before him.

"I see you are not content to share the words of your chieftain and depart, White Owl. I trust that you linger so that you may learn the ways of the Half Moon?" The elder stretched out a hand toward his would-be student; even in homid form his teeth and nails were long and sharp. He touched Zas B'ul's forehead, applying slightly more pressure than the young Silent Strider felt was necessary.

"I can teach you judgements fell and terrible. I cannot teach you wisdom or temperance. Those you must discover for yourself. Time must be sacrificed. Pettiness and jealousy abandoned. Fight against injustice, uphold Her Litany, protect the Pure."

"In saying these things, I am not alone. All this," he gestured around them, as if his words were still floating nearby in the evening air, "this is what any Half Moon worthy of Gaia would tell you. Surely there are Half Moons among your own tribe. Tell me, White Owl, why have you specifically sought me out?"

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 17:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://wtarat.forumotion.com
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 00:34

Zas looked hard at the man standing before him. Scents-The-Lies renown and prestige preceded him. The earlier introductions Zas had made to the Caddo chieftain had been all the more unique as Scents-The-Lies mere presence gave that much more value and credibility to him having fulfilled his quest.

Zas was quiet as he listened to the man speak. Only after he asked his final question did Zas prepare to talk, "If you would have me, I feel there is much I stand to learn, both about how to become an effective philodox as well as how to destroy agents of the Wyrm."

He pauses before continuing, choosing his words carefully, "Your deeds of destroying the Black Spiral Dancers that dared hurt that which you care for, more or less single handedly, certainly mark you as a worthy Garou. Your words are worth hearing, as evidenced by others that seek your wisdom out for settling and calming disputes of all variety."

Zas leans against a nearby tree, running his hand along the grain of the bark, "The philodox in my tribe are always on the move. I find learning such traits to sometimes be more difficult when I'm on the move, as I tend to get distracted by my surroundings, overwhelmed by my senses." He gestures towards the same area Scents-The-Lies had gestures to as he says, "I am taken aback by all of this."

He then sighs and sits down as he says, "There is much I do not know. What I do know is, that were I to return to my tribe, I would be able to be a Silent Strider, but I would be of little use to them. How can I aid protecting mother Gaia, if I'm incapable of fulfilling the duties of my auspice? Knowing the Litany is of little use when I have few means of upholding it."

A thought pops into his head as he goes on, until after a certain point he can't restrain it any further: "I feel certain you know my name to be Snowy Owl as I met you earlier today...so I must ask why you call me White Owl?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 12:05

The ancient one laughed when he heard Zas B'ul's answer; the sound was like grinding ice. "For one so distracted by his senses, you see the heart of the matter clearly, White Owl. Knowing the law is not enough. You must have the strength of will to uphold the Litany no matter who stands against you. You must have the respect of your brothers and sisters if your words of arbitration are to be heeded. You must have the strength of arms if justice is to be delivered."

The old Wendigo bent and picked up a long pipe from where it lay propped against an ash tree. As he packed in the tobacco, Zas B'ul could detect the pungent aromas of mint and apple wafting through their little glade. Scents-The-Lies lit the pipe and took a few brooding puffs before passing it to Zas. "You know the Litany already. The charges are easy: destroy the rotting Wyrm, fight the implacable Weaver, shield the virgin Wyld. This is the charge of all true Garou.

"There are other laws, too, governing tradition and honor. These 'lesser' laws are where your troubles shall arise. Protecting the sanctity of the sacred grounds, respecting territory and authority, punishing the mating of brother and sister- these are where most of our challenges arise. Your duty is not only to serve Gaia, but also to serve Her people. The Full Moons see the Wyrm and they arise to fight, the Crescent Moons see the wounded Wyld and move to heal it. Their paths are clear. Theirs is not the path of the philodox, a road often muddied."

"I know your name. You are not Snowy Owl, no matter what your Apache kin call you. You are a white owl. Your intentions pure, but you know nothing of the burning cold." The ancient gazed at Zas B'ul, his eyes impassive and icy. "Have you looked upon the dancing rainbow lights of the unending north? Have you been tasted by Great Wendigo? Felt his freezing breath on your face? No?"

"In time you may come into your name. Tell me of your passage. What does it take to be of the Silent Striders?"

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 13:39; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 14:23

He smiles as the Wendigo chuckles. He then accepts the pipe offered to him and puffs it as he had seen the chieftains of the Na-Ta-Hay do many times, with the end result being him coughing and sputtering on the ground. Smoking was not in his repertoire.

As Scents-The-Lies continued giving him instruction and guidance on the intricacies involved with being a philodox, Zas followed along intently, seeming to almost drink in the words. His brow furrowed however at the mention of there being "lesser" laws in the litany, as his father had told him that they were all of equal importance, but Zas again remains silent.

Zas ponders Scents-The-Lies reasoning for his refusal to call him by his birth name. He says nothing, but his physical demeanor would indicate his displeasure with the decision, yet even still he respectfully nods his head.

At the last question Zas replies speaking more from memory as he recites, "I must in some form interact with a Ghost. I must destroy an agent of the Wyrm. I must deliver an important message to a distant Sept from memory. Upon completion of these tasks and recognition of my deeds, I am eligible to become a member of the tribe like my father, Sho-Sho Ne, before me."

After he spouts his rhetoric he internally begins to debate whether or not to question the issue of "lesser" litany laws or not. After a long uncomfortable pause he asks, "I mean you no disrespect teacher. You have said that I must have the strength of will to uphold the Litany, no matter who stands against me. It is with that spirit in mind that I question your prioritizing the Litany's laws. If I am to uphold all of the Litany and enforce it, how can some laws be of any less importance than others? I do not understand. Are the ways of tradition and honor no longer of value?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 16:52

Scents-The-Lies smiled and took back the pipe, smoking contentedly as he listened to Zas B'ul. When the young philodox fell silent, the old one nodded once and closed his eyes. "You are thinking; that is good. I need you to listen also." He spoke around the pipe, which was still clutched in his long teeth.

"There is indeed a hierarchy in the Litany, though some would say otherwise. Many of the precepts of the Litany exist so that our society will function smoothly. This is good."

The white werewolf's eyes snapped open, revealing twin orbs that caught and eerily reflected the light of the rising moon. "Other rules are part of the Litany to prevent the apocalypse from killing Gaia herself. This is vital."

He regarded Zas B'ul for a few quiet moments, letting this sink in, before he continued. "I am not saying to you 'disregard whichever parts of the Litany are inconvenient or difficult.' I would hope that you challenge and strike down any who claim such heresy. No, what I am saying is that you must recognize why the Litany exists. Simply upholding the laws of our people is not enough.

Scents-The-Lies studied his new pupil with narrowed eyes. "Why does the Litany exist, White Owl?"

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 13:34; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 18:34

Zas is quiet for a long while. He mulls over the question several times. When he speak he stands to his feet and a fiery passion can be seen in his eyes, "The Litany exist to serve as both a reminder to all Garou of the right order of things as well as a guide that ensures that one day proper balance will be restored. It is there to aid keeping the peace and directing the focus of all Garou. That is why it exist. To represent justice."

Zas sits back down, his passion beginning to subside. He looks to Scents-The-Lies as he says, "I believe this to be truth."

Last edited by Zas B'ul on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 15:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 19:25

"Yes. We strive for balance because balance is justice. We nullify transgression with punishment, displace foolishness with wisdom, destroy evil with good. Balance is what every Half Moon must strive for. This is not as simple as it sounds. Ignoring the 'lesser' laws of the Litany in favor of striking the great Wyrm happens all too frequently. Small troubles, left neglected long enough, fester into great woes." Scents-The-Lies voice turns bitter and he turns to look out over the dark rushing river.

After a few silent moments pass, he rouses himself, almost snarling with disgust at the thought. "By the same token, some Half Moons become tangled in the petty squabbles of our people and neglect the outside world, letting the Despoiler and its brood have their way with Gaia."

"Remember, the Litany has not so many rules, but there are many Garou. Many, especially among the Wyrmbringers, will not heed the words of their ancestors. They do not understand that willfully ignoring the Litany means death and worse."

"Your task, and mine, White Owl, is to make them understand. We must make them heed the Litany. If they do not, they must be punished. You know truth. It walks with you, stronger than your sight and smell and hearing. It is more than instinct. It is Gaia and Luna's gift to you."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 19:51

Zas leans closer in to hear Scents-The-Lies better as he barrages him with questions, "How do we accomplish that? How do we get the Wyrmbringers to listen to us? How can we make them understand the right path when they choose to blatantly disregard the guide?"

Zas' ends his interrogation with a huff. He turns to look out at the dark consistent flowing river and gazes at it admiringly. "This is a good spot. It captures a great deal of Gaia's majestic splendor. I can see why I found you here."

There is a long pause as the sounds of nature carry on around the two of them. Zas stares up at the moon while saying to Scents-The-Lies, "I am not all white man, nor am I all Indian, though, I have dealt with the white man much and live among the Apache. My father insisted that I learn of both ways, so as to understand each better and to act on behalf of the tribe to ensure fair treatment. Yet, I am also Garou...I desire to follow the Litany and it's tenets, which insists upon balance.

My experience in dealing with the white man has revealed a good deal. They are out of balance. They see Gaia as property that they may claim as their own. They see all Indian tribes as "uncivilized" and wild pests that should be removed to make room for more of themselves. They do not understand the pain they cause, nor do they comprehend the danger of the Wyrm. Any outsider who has thoughts that do not coincide with theirs is automatically wrong. They believe their ways to be the only way and have closed their minds and hearts. I fear this above all else, as once a heart is closed none can change.

The Na-Ta-Hay are also not completely in tune with Gaia, though they are slightly closer. They too see their ways to be the right way. They tend to seek to solve all quarrels with violence and bloodshed. However, they are at least more conscious of their effect on Gaia's beauty, and have kept more open hearts."

He breathes slowly and deeply, "The Wyrmbringers, share many of these qualities, both good and bad..."

He sighs, "The Na-Ta-Hay believe they have no way of changing the hearts and minds of the white man-short of destroying him, like they have done with the Commache. I do not know how to convince a white man or an Apache to see the error of their ways. Likewise, I do not see how to force another Garou who is unwilling to see their transgressions to truly look at the harm they cause to mother Gaia."

He turns back to face Scents-The-Lies, "What do I do?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyWed 11 Sep 2013, 16:41

Scents-The-Lies shook his head. "I have met those among the Wyrmbringers that have honor, but they are few. You seek to balance the whirlwind, the avalanche, and the raging inferno. Dark days are ahead, and if you think this is your purpose, to unite the bloodied tribes, then you are walking right into the blackest storm..."

Scents-The-Lies uttered his harsh, low laugh again, and put away his powerfully fragrant pipe.

"I think you might be touched by a mad lune spirit... and yet, I will not stop you, nor will I counsel you to reconsider. If this is the path that Gaia has indeed laid before you, I tell you to shake the very Tellurian and make it so." The elder spoke slowly and with precision, his words carefully chosen.  

"I cannot tell you how to bring peace to the Garou, but I can tell you where you must begin, what you must not do. Judgement is not your calling. Punishment is not your goal. Patience, understanding, and respect must be your weapons if you are to seek peace. The path of the Half Moon is not one of force and constant strife. You must earn the respect of your brothers and sisters. Only then will you be heeded."  

"Many, it is true, will not listen to you at first. Some, I think, because you are from Pure kin. Know that most beings respect something. Become that thing, earn their respect. Do not compromise yourself, but come to them. Does the foe only respect cunning? Beat him at his own game, even if you have to learn from one of the twice-cursed Nuwisha to do it. An enemy only respects strength? Show him your strength. Challenge and best him, or reveal to him his own weakness. There is a way into the hearts of all things; you must simply possess the wisdom to discern the key."    

"Once you have their respect you can correct their path. Not before- then they will resent you, ignore you, kill you. Or you will kill them. Either way, there is no peace. That is why you must know wisdom enough to see into the hearts of kin and Garou, Pure and Wyrmbringer."  

"Now I have come back around to where I began. I cannot teach you wisdom or temperance. Those you must discover for yourself. Time must be sacrificed. Pettiness and jealousy abandoned." The wendigo smiled, his long yellow teeth glinting in the moonlight. "There are no easy answers for the philodox, White Owl."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyWed 11 Sep 2013, 21:14

Zas remains silent. He stares at the ground briefly, before he catches a whiff of something in the breeze. He tilts his head up and focuses upwind, following the scent with his nose. As he stares into the dark of the woodlands searching for whatever it was he smelled, he says, "If my learning requires me to develop wisdom and temperance and you cannot teach me, where then am I to glean such guidance in the development of those traits?"

He, finally, after scouring the woods for any visible clues as to what he smelled, catches a glimpse of a patch of deer skin that had snagged on random low hanging branch sticking out from a tree that was blowing freely in the wind. He says, "My time is yours."

He inhales deeply letting the last of the pungent pipe tobacco's smoke saturate his nostrils, and then says, "The only jealousy I have is that of desiring to be as great and noble a Garou as you, but I don't view that as being true jealousy. However, I do not know for certain what aspects of my character or upbringing would constitute as being of a petty nature, and for that I look to you to point out my shortcomings....teacher."
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyThu 12 Sep 2013, 11:16

"You still do not listen, young Silent Strider. Knowledge is taught and learned. Any foolish Wyrmbringer can drown themselves in knowledge. Wisdom is attained through living, insight must be nurtured within yourself. No one can teach you discernment, not even the wisest of spirits. You must become disciplined, and learn through your mistakes." There was another bitter, mirthless laugh, and a trace of sadness crossed the face of the ancient. "And believe me, White Owl, you will make mistakes."

"I can teach you knowledge. I know many rites belonging to Middle and Younger Brother. However, these will be worth less than nothing, if you do not have the mind to apply them properly."

When Zas B'ul asks about his weaknesses, the old Wendigo gives him a searching look. After a few moments Scents-The-Lies broke the silence.  

"Though our time together has been short, White Owl, I can see that you harbor a zeal to honor Gaia that rivals the most passionate Ahroun. I would counsel you to guard this passion: do not let your enthusiasm rule you, for then you may pass judgments that you regret. Justice born of fury is anything but just."

"This is not a secret, it is a pit that all young pups must avoid. In your journey down the path of the philodox, you must find where the Wyrm's talons have hooked you. You will never cut them out entirely, but then you will be forewarned against the foe in your own heart."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyThu 12 Sep 2013, 18:57

Zas listens to his first speech and as he takes a breath and before he starts the next portion Zas pipes up, "Is it not wise to learn from the mistakes of others also? Surely, the path that's led you to where you are now, revealed things that I have yet to encounter and and thus could be better prepared for should I too experience such things..."

As Scents-The-Lies continues, Zas hangs his head as he realized he'd spoken too soon. He says nothing further, and doesn't look Scents-The-Lies in the eyes again.

After he is sure Scents-The-Lies is finished he speaks, "I now see why I have not earned my name...."

There is another long pause before he quietly asks, "What tools of justice are you willing to teach me that will aid in fulfilling the task Gaia has given me?"

Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 17:17

Scents-The_Lies does not hold back and he leans forward intently, but Zas can tell that this is not a topic the elder relishes. "I have indeed made mistakes. I will not delve into the distant past, but I will now share one thing that I have learned from painful experience: do not tolerate strife within your pack. Nurture harmony and brook no darkness between you. This is especially true in the unending north, where you must stay together with your pack and only your pack for long times. It also holds true here, however, but not for the same reason."

"Some of our kind, and many among the Wyrmbringers, relish war so much that they allow it to permeate their being. They are ruled, heart and soul, by their rage, and all too often this rage is turned upon their own brothers and sisters." Scents-The-Lies growls in the back of his throat.

"If you can, stop this before it ever begins. I say to you, White Owl, settle your disputes before the moon rises and your pack will thank you."

Seeing that the young philodox is dejected about his name, Scents-The-Lies shakes his head. "You should not be unhappy. You have not yet begun to live. Is the stone or the water unhappy? No. Go out and live and earn your name and then decide how you feel."

In response to the Silent Strider's last question, the Wendigo chuckles. "Ah, are you already done with the 'why' and already wish to discuss the 'how?' I see."

The ancient taps his claws against the ash tree at his side. "If I must punish a wayward brother or sister for small crimes, I use a length of ash wood. Upon it I carefully record their misdeeds with my claws, and then I strike them with it. This is not to harm, but to chastise. All who look upon that Garou will know of their shame for a month."

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 19:04

Zas tilts his head up slightly as Scents-The-Lies justified his reasoning for not tolerating strife. He then nods in his comprehension of the logic and returns his head back to eye level as he is advised that mediated disputes would be welcomed.

After he is instructed to not be downcast about his name he slowly starts to regain his more positive demeanor especially after Scents-The-Lies chuckles. Zas simply nods his head in earnest at the question before adding "If justice must be swift, then I as her defender must likewise be swift, like the river." He nods his head in the direction of the flowing water. He then says, "Sitting around debating the reasons why things are done is rarely as effective as actually doing them."

After a pause he rethinks his phrase and adds, "That's not to say much can't be learned through discussion, or that it is useless to think things through before acting on them. It is inaction derives from complacency that I find to be wrong."

As Scents-The-Lies ends his speech Zas is quiet. He mulls over the thought in his head before saying, "What should I do if the Garou brother or sister is older or higher in position? Would I be in the right to do this?"

He then thinks some more before also asking, "And what of the more heinous crimes?"

He then says humbly, "I don't mean to over burden you with my quandaries, but I am filled with great zeal to accomplish the task before me and desire to be as prepared and ready for my part in Gaia's journey as I can. Please do not think ill of my father or of me as your student for my impetuousness or seeming imprudence..."

Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 03:19

"It is true that actions speak when empty words do not. But never act without carefully thinking. Justice must be both swift and accurate. Do not forsake one over the other. You are not of the Full Moon. You must temper the warriors and tricksters, for sometimes their path is too quick, too direct. Your path, young philodox, is a winding one."

"And that is a good thing. If you provide insight and divine the truth, your pack will depend on you."

"To chastise those of higher rank is not for you; accusations of breaking the Litany are never to be taken lightly. The only exception is if the Garou's corruption is unquestionable. Then you should join the rest of the pack and sept in condemning and destroying them."

Scents-The-Lies looked pointedly at his pupil. "If you learn of one of our brothers or sisters that have fallen, do not hesitate to tell me."

"The worst crimes among the Pure are met with dire punishments. Dooms and curses that wither the flesh and obliterate the spirit for eternity. I think that learning of such things is farther down your path. I would urge you to learn the gentler punishments first, White Owl. I would not send a child to hunt buffalo- first they must be made to learn walking and riding."

"I do not think ill of you. Your questions are good ones; the same ones I asked, long ago. I see before me an owl who wishes to know well the path he is preparing to embark upon."
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 09:09

Zas nods along. He says nothing but listens to both Scents-The-Lies and the rushing river. The water's consistent and never ending flow as it rounds the bend Zas found extremely comforting. As Scents-The-Lies continued, Zas began to make himself comfortable. He had not only found a wise mentor that was well known among the Garou nation but one that also was willing to tolerate Zas's mannerisms and questions. He thanked Gaia silently for her blessings.

As Scents-The-Lies finished talking Zas dipped his head in the teacher's direction as he said, "I am pleased that you think so highly of me teacher. I think I am beginning to understand your words."

Zas thinks long and hard over what his mentor had just finished saying before also asking, "How can I ask you questions when I am not near you? How can I tell you of others who have fallen when you are far away?"

Zas pauses momentarily before saying with the subtlest hint of glee, "Does that mean there are other things to learn as well? Other ways to broker peace? To hold Garou accountable? Other means I can learn from you?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 01:20

"Though you have done little, I am prepared to share with you what Gaia has permitted me to learn. All I ask is that you perform you duties with solemnity. Gaia has entrusted you with a critical vocation."

"When I am finished instructing you, I do not believe it is necessary to stay in constant contact. Half Moons among the Wendigo often wander far into the unending north, where self-sufficiency is a must. However, if you must alert me to news, good or ill, I will give you the means."  

"The spirit's gifts are often focused on war, and rightly so; we are a race of warriors. Precious few of their tricks are aimed at peace, but there are some." The Wendigo crouched at the foot of a great oak. The moon had gone behind a cloud, and the elder's face was hidden in shadow. "While the way of war is clearly marked with spilled blood, the path of peace is often winding, less clear."

"I would not look to the gifts of spirits or rites to broker peace. In any case, such a peace would be false. If the only reason your brother has not torn your throat out is because mystics have bound his hands, then there is no peace. True harmony among tribes, septs and auspices can only be won through empathy, sacrifice, and respect."

"Respect is a powerful tool for a Half Moon. Garou are always held accountable, not just before Gaia and Luna but also before their brothers and sisters. Never underestimate the power of renown. I have told you that respect is important. It is important because respect can be both lost and gained, not just by you but also by those around you. Those who protect the Pure and harm the Wyrm are accorded glory, and those who do not are given nothing. To those few who act against their pack or sept lose renown. After all, even self-serving Garou care about their reputation."

"This is good, in that it dissuades the foolish and the young from breaking the litany- they wish to cling to whatever small amount of renown they have. But sometimes it can be bad. There are a few of our kind who are canny and try to hide their sins from all others. It is during such trying times that the Half Moon must prove their worth and find the snake among the pups."

The white werewolf rose to his feet and nodded towards a path leading out of the glade to the north. "I grow restless sitting here. Walk with me, White Owl."

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 16:32; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 11:57

Without hesitation, Zas B'ul rises and follows along behind Scents-The-Lies. He says nothing until his mentor finishes, and then he speaks calmly, walking up alongside the old teacher as he does so.

"Teacher, I see that Respect and Renown are important to Garou. I hear you when you say that there are some among the Garou that wish to hide their true selves."

He is suddenly distracted by an owl that appeared from out of nowhere to land atop a nearby tree and hoot a few times before going silent. The river's noise gradually subsiding as they walked northward allowed Zas to hone in on the rest of the plethora of woodland sounds surrounding him. The chipmunks squeaking and chattering to one another as they gathered their stockpiles of seeds and wild berries. A nearby wild hog grunted and scraped his tusk against one of the thicker Mesquite tree trunks attempting to attract a mate. A lone male badger proudly strutted his way around the forest floor semi-nearby. A colony of prairie dogs busied itself digging the deep subterranean tunnels required for the thriving population.

Zas shakes his head and regains his focus before continuing, "My path you say is to be difficult, and likely slow going. I can deal with this. Why though, do you say that peace is less straightforward than war? If all Garou are called to focus their attention on the same task of destroying the Wyrm, fighting the Weaver, and protecting the Wyld- thereby requiring them to work together, why then would Garou not also seek to be in unity with one another in other tasks? The Sept demands cooperation, and the pack likewise. They are the core of our strength, our way of life, our being. A pack must work together to bring down prey. I do not understand how the Garou can separate our nature from the prime calling of the Litany. Peace would seem to be more than second nature to us, certainly with one another. Even the Wyrmcomers seem to understand that alone and divided, they are weak."

He sighs before going on, "Growing up among the Apache I was taught how to choose my enemies as well as my path. I was instructed on how to never lose my way when I traveled. Thus I am at a loss for what to do regarding both if this road to peace chooses to remain as elusive as you make it sound. What quarrels have you had to mediate that arose from Garou bickering and in-fighting? You said earlier that the majority of my issues would arise from the lesser litany laws.... how have you resolved such issues?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 17:23

The elder groaned, and Zas B'ul hoped it was not in exasperation. "If only it were so simple, White Owl. Perhaps then the Wyrm's rampage could be halted and the apocalypse would never come. No, Garoua society is frayed and wild, and sometimes I think we inherit the worst aspects of our human and wolf kinfolk. We fight the Wyrm's mockeries, the Weaver's human slaves, and if those can not be found quickly or easily we fall upon ourselves. Old rivalries and jealousies are easily recalled and we as a people are proud and savage, often beyond wisdom and even sanity."    

"Make no mistake- the rage of our people is not a gift or a tool. It is a weapon, a terrible double edged blade that cuts both our enemies and ourselves. We need our anger, it gives us strength and awesome power, but we must focus it wholly on the enemies of the Pure. All too often we lose ourselves in our rage and we lash out against our brothers and sisters and cousins. Such accidents are all too common." The low grunting bellow of a bull alligator rumbled out from the far side of the river.

"Sometimes it is no accident. Sometimes our own laws are bent in order to justify the spilling of blood. Once when I was young, my brothers and I encountered a pack tearing heedlessly through our land. They had been badly savaged by some nameless evil spirit to the west. The injured pack had neglected to announce themselves to us, and our alpha challenged their leader then and there, claiming that the sacred ground under our protection had been trespassed upon, and the Litany, violated."

The old Wendigo's voice had become a bitter growl, and his eyes were dull; he wasn't looking at the path or the river or the quiet peaceful forest. He was lost his memories.

"Though injured, the visiting Garou alpha did not back down, and the alphas fought to the death. My alpha slew his brother to feed his own pride. I did not resolve the issue. At that time, I believed that honor was more important than life."

Last edited by The Laughing Stranger on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 21:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zas B'ul

Zas B'ul

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 19:01

At this point Zas' stomach let him know that any of the sounds of nature would taste great. He was hesitant to say anything as it would likely disturb the lesson, but Zas was certain that he would eventually need to say something.

Zas tried to get his mind to overpower his stomach as he said, "I can see that you no longer feel that way. Though reputation counts for a lot it doesn't take priority over a life."

His attempt to fight his stomach proved to be of little use. It let out another low grumble before he had even finished his sentence.

He tried to think of other topics, other questions. However, it never failed that as soon as he found a new idea, it would suddenly in someway begin to revolve around food. He considered trying to discuss other laws of the litany, except that then his mind changed litany into botany which made him think of plants and flowers which then made him think of other animals that eat those plants and flowers and how tasty that wild hog would taste if he could find a hare or chipmunk appetizer to first sooth his appetite.

He then tried to focus solely on his teacher except that then he looked at his mentor's missing ear and noticed how in the moonlight it resembled a slice of cheddar cheese he had seen in the town baker's window once.

He shook his head violently, he had to say something. His mind was resorting to cannibalism. He blurted out in a rushed voice, "Teacher, I'm starved! Would you care to join me for a hunt?"
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Stranger
Admin
The Laughing Stranger

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers EmptyTue 17 Sep 2013, 21:40

"I can see that your mind wanders with hunger." The elder shook his shaggy head. "No, you go on ahead, White Owl. I am going down to the village to be with my family before the night gets much older. I will see you at daybreak to greet the sun."

The old one strode off into the night toward the distant smoke of the camp fires. A gentle wind whistled among the trees, and Zas could smell the foam of the river. The Trinity River sept would be a good place to call home, for awhile. Then he caught the scent of a deer foraging nearby, and smiled. The hunt was on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Justice Always Hungers   Justice Always Hungers Empty

Back to top Go down

Justice Always Hungers
Page 1 of 1