|
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Different Kind of Challenge

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

A Different Kind of Challenge Empty
PostSubject: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 00:20

The meeting with Judge had just ended. Rends was glad to have the beginnings of a plan in the works, and even more glad to be getting some scouting done for Roarin' Jack, but mostly he was glad he'd soon have another chance to test himself against the Skin Rippers. . He smiled to himself as he pulled open the doors to the ramshackle shack. Sure they'd been easy enough to kill, but he always hungered for a challenge, some new way to improve himself, and last time he'd completely lost his head. That wouldn't happen again. He hadn't yet met a challenge he couldn't beat, and he wouldn't start failing now.

It was dry out; brown and pale green grassland stretched into infinity beyond the town's barely established border. Rends took in the scent of dust and grass and distant corn being harvested. Rends spat, thinking of home as he brought out a piece of jerky, watching the nearby area for trouble as his pack left the shack, going off on their own business. Taking a big bite, his eye was drawn to a slight figure slowly walking down the road towards the edge of town. Rends recognized the young European woman who had left the shack when the meeting really started.

What was her name again? Lara, right.

Against his better judgement, Rends let his gaze linger. Thin and with long brunette hair, she was pretty enough. More, she smelled like gunpowder, and Rends had noticed her calloused hands as she'd left. She wasn't some city flower waiting to be plucked. Here was a strong, independent woman who don't need no man.

'Specially one like you. You cain't even get a whore right.

Rends grimaced, pulling his hat down at the memory of his first failed attempt at romance in New Orleans. He was a proud man, and the fact that he'd been taken for a ride without even getting what he'd paid for galled him still. Taking another big bite of jerky, he looked over to the side to distract himself and saw Mocks the Night sitting in a chair, drinking from his flask and looking smug as a mouse when the cat's out. Rends felt a pang of jealousy for his packmate.

He ain't got no problems with women. Hell, I don't even know if Harriet knew his name when they got together. But he cain't fight worth a lick for all his enthusiasm and tyin'. What's he got that I don't?

He looked up again, eyes resting on Lara as she walked up to a wagon just up the road. The wagon was open, displaying several old muskets and newer shotguns along with a musket pistol or two. She climbed in, sitting on a stool and polishing a shotgun with a dirty rag. Rends watched her for a time, considering.

Maybe it's practice. I done lots of fightin' afore I got real good at it, and Mocks used ta live in a bar. I bet he used to practice all the time.

He scratched at his chin, waving to his friend.

"Hey Mocks, c'mere. I need ya help."

Curious, Mocks got up.

"I'll say ya do, Rends. But there ain't no helpin' that face. That scar's just unfortunate."

Rends ignored the quip, suddenly fidgeting.

"So, uh, remember when I agreed ta teach ya ta fight? You said you'd learn me my letters, but ya also said you'd help me with somethin' else. Gettin' girls."

Rends scratched at the back of his neck.

"See I ain't good with women. Dunnow why, I can kill anything they like. But they never seems ta like me. So I figure we got a day or two a down time, so why not get some practice in?"

He points a big finger at the distant figure in the wagon.

"So, help me out here. How do I get me a girl like that?"
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

PostSubject: Re: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 17:52

Mocks turns and looks at the European as she cleans her guns and checks them each in turn making sure they will all hit their mark and kill when they need to. He looks back at Rends, walking around him and looking him up and down. He takes a good long swig from his flask before putting the lid on it and hiding it on his person. He scratches his chin as he looks in between the smitten Rends and his new desire. He chuckles.

"I never thought I'd see the day when you would take notice of the finer things in life like women. My big brother is growin' up on me."

He fake sniffles and pretends to wipe away a tear from his eye. He stands there grinning at Rends for a few moments before gathering his focus and putting on his serious face.

"You are in luck my friend, I do believe I can help you with this. Now at some point we need to get you some nicer clothes. It don't got to be a suit, or even as nice as I look, just something new. Not as worn. Women like men who can take care of themselves. Most women are needy, they want to be pampered so they don't need to be worrying about you. You are supposed to take care of them. Now she don't seem like most women. Hell I think she has more guns than the shop in Nacogdoches where you got your rifle. She defintiely doesn't want to take care of you. So net big town we get in get some new clothes. Something that says "I'm a Texas Ranger. I can take of myself, you and whole Damn state." On that note you need to start wearing your badge. People will see it. They will take note. They will automatically respect you, or fear you. Before you open your mouth and yell at them"

Mocks gives Rends a huge grin.

"You following so far?"
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 19:17

Rends takes a monemt to look himself up and down. While not ragged, his dusty clothea had definitely seen better days between the frayed edges and the old blood stains.

"Guess ya got a point there. But i aint wearin no suit like some big city dandy. Dont reckon it matters anyhow. I doubt theys a clean stitch of clothes in this toqn ta fit me."

He does pull out his badge and pin it to his shirt though, wiping off a bit of dust with his sleeve.

"Alright, so thats clothes for later and the badge done. Now what?"

He scratches his neck again.

"My pa was always gonna set up me marryin so i never got much practice talkin to girls. Reckon i should show her my scars? Women love that right? "
Back to top Go down
Fae Carver

Fae Carver

PostSubject: Re: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 23:39

Kefka pondered silently.

"Yeah. Women do love scars. Don't show them all at once though. Talk about the ones you can't cover up and are noticeable. Let her find out about the others on her own. Act like it is no big deal you risk your life, yet somehow come out on top every time."

He looks back at the lady then turns back to Rends.

"Obviously she likes guns and knows a great deal about them. Use your rifle as a good starting topic with her. If you are feeling lucky try and shoot the thing to impress her...I wouldn't count on it though. I bet she is a better shot even then I am."
Back to top Go down
Rends the Gar

Rends the Gar

PostSubject: Re: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge EmptyTue 24 Jun 2014, 23:57

Rends nods in affirmation, adjusting the strap to the gun hanging from his shoulder.

"Right. I can talk about guns. I like guns too. Maybe we can... talk about guns..."

He trails off, then mutters a curse as he pulls out his own flask and takes a big swig.

"What I need is for a bunch a' raidin' Injuns to ride through town. Then I can jest kill 'em and blow off some steam first; show off how good I am at killin' stuff. I ain't never been good with words. Might as well give it a shot though. Ain't no other way ta get better."

He straightens his gun, standing up taller as he turns to Kefka.

"Well, any last advice?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Different Kind of Challenge   A Different Kind of Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

A Different Kind of Challenge
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
| :: Rage Across Texas Forums :: Tales of Renown-
Jump to: